• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you post all your art on caf or just select pieces?
4 4

116 posts in this topic

A reason why I don't post all of my art is that I've already posted art that represents my collecting habits and likes.  You can tell which publisher I like.  You can tell which artists and/or characters I like. 

One niche I haven't posted is my One Year Affair "strips" from National Lampoon drawn by Ralph Reese and written by Byron Preiss.  And some sketch covers, nothing major or slabbed.

Edited by Will_K

Another thought on why NOT to post...

Some artists create personal work which they may want to include in a sketchbook, collected edition, limited prints, etc which they publish independently.  When all the artwork is posted on CAF, there is less incentive for their fans buying the sketchbook.  Many artists really need that little extra cash flow.  They only get one shot at selling an original.

On 12/13/2022 at 9:21 PM, Yorick said:

Another thought on why NOT to post...

Some artists create personal work which they may want to include in a sketchbook, collected edition, limited prints, etc which they publish independently.  When all the artwork is posted on CAF, there is less incentive for their fans buying the sketchbook.  Many artists really need that little extra cash flow.  They only get one shot at selling an original.

99% of the time that artwork is already posted on the artist's instagram/facebook/etc, I don't think there really exists a measurable amount of people who would have bought a physical sketchbook/print of a piece of art but then didn't because they saw the artist's art online already.

Let's play devil's advocate, a thought on why TO post for this scenario: you're helping spread awareness of that artist. Lets say someones scrolling through a CAF gallery, they see a really cool commission or other work from an artist they've never heard of before, they go look up that artist and maybe they get their own commission, or go to that person's online shop and buy a print/sketchbook. I've definitely followed artists that I would never have stumbled on if I didn't see someone post their art on CAF.

If you like an artist's work enough to buy original work from them, I think spreading good word about them and sharing the art you bought from them on CAF (a community of people who are prone to buying art....) I think this can only help them (especially if they're a rising artist who could use awareness/extra cash flow)

Edited by JC25427N

One artist that I follow on Patreon and Kickstarter asked to not post art in order to keep things "fresh".  The artist now posts less art on IG and FB.  And asked us not to post art (e.g. art rewards) so that he can use it later (e.g. for Kickstarter books).  So basically, to honor that request, I'll only post art by that artist that has been published in physical form.

Edited by Will_K

On 12/14/2022 at 10:01 AM, Will_K said:

One artist that I follow on Patreon and Kickstarter asked to not post art in order to keep things "fresh".  The artist now posts less art on IG and FB.  And asked us not to post art (e.g. art rewards) so that he can use it later (e.g. for Kickstarter books).  So basically, to honor that request, I'll only post art by that artist that has been published in physical form.

Are you sure that artist meant original art specifically? I know there's an issue where artist's work is getting reposted without credit on other socials/tiktok and that's creating a headache for them. But for CAF, you'd only post the art that you bought the original of. It's such a niche case. I know you mentioned patreon art rewards, so I guess you're lumping that in, but I think it's prudent to differentiate between art reposting and posting on CAF. 

Either way, yeah of course, if an artist made that request then it's only courteous to honor it, but I don't want people to start fear mongering and make it seem as if posting your commissions is taking food out of artist's mouths. 

Edited by JC25427N

On 12/16/2022 at 9:12 AM, RBerman said:

I have one cover for a series which is on hold due to legal wrangling. The artist asked me not to post it online until the comic comes out, and I agreed.

If you do post the art, I hope you'll post the story (re: legal wrangling) .

On 12/13/2022 at 8:20 PM, JC25427N said:

you're helping spread awareness of that artist. Lets say someones scrolling through a CAF gallery, they see a really cool commission or other work from an artist they've never heard of before, they go look up that artist and maybe they get their own commission, or go to that person's online shop and buy a print/sketchbook.

I generally agree with this.  A commissioned work is the commissioners to do with as they please.  You wouldn't be taking "food out of their mouths" as they've already been paid.  I am still on the fence whether or not to post a TERRIBLE commission from years ago.  It could potentially hurt the artists' reputation.

If the artwork has been printed in a sketchbook already, and the sketchbook has been available to purchase for a while, then go ahead and post away.  If you have something from an artist that no one but the artist and yourself have seen, there's a chance the artist might want to use it later (in a sketchbook, or as a print).  I'm not talking about a sketch you obtain at a convention.

My point was that a few artists that I buy directly from give me the chance to buy art before it's seen by anyone.  They intend to publish the artwork in the future, and they ask not to share it until it's been in the public domain for a while.  Further, one of those artists has even shared ready-for-print work that wasn't published by one of the Big Two, because they know they can trust me with not blasting the image all over the internet (copyright infringement and all that - it would suck to be sued by Disney, for example).

It's a double edge sword.  Each piece must be considered individually.  :goodvsevil:

On 12/16/2022 at 3:07 PM, Yorick said:

I am still on the fence whether or not to post a TERRIBLE commission from years ago.  It could potentially hurt the artists' reputation.

Interesting point.  I usually don't post "sub par" commissions/sketches or ones that I don't do it for me (e.g. poorly drawn fishnets on the Black Canary).  I mean, unless I intended to sell it.

On 12/16/2022 at 1:46 PM, Will_K said:

Interesting point.  I usually don't post "sub par" commissions/sketches or ones that I don't do it for me (e.g. poorly drawn fishnets on the Black Canary).  I mean, unless I intended to sell it.

I have some of those as well. The artist met the brief more or less, but the pieces don’t do it for me. It happens.

On 12/16/2022 at 12:07 PM, Yorick said:

I am still on the fence whether or not to post a TERRIBLE commission from years ago.  It could potentially hurt the artists' reputation.

That’s a personal call. I’d only negatively post if the artist didn’t do what was requested, and wasn’t willing to work out an alternative solution. 

On 12/16/2022 at 1:46 PM, Will_K said:

Yeah my reasons for not posting a "sub par" commission/sketch would have to do with my unhappiness with the result. 

It might be a good idea though to post our "bad" drawings. Perhaps some artists need the embarrassing punishment/disciplinelol

On 12/17/2022 at 12:37 PM, G.A.tor said:

I’m leaning to posting about 100 pages/covers I’ve accumulated but not yet listed (or had listed and removed). I think the majority have been seen, so not sure it would really add much to the community , but will see 

If it's Surfer, we wanna see it! :)

In the last month I took the time to post and catalog everything I own at this point including Disney animation.  As I just wrote this I realize that I DO have a Romita Sr sketch that I had picked up from Dynamic Forces many years ago of a Peter Parker / Spider-man split face portrait that I want to share.  But it took a while, but it was actually fun to do.  I don't hang much on the wall and I like to flip through my portfolio books when I do want to go through my collection so having it on CAF is a nice addition as well. 

At some point, I may upload better images and edit and expand on some of the descriptions as opposed to some of the short blurbs I wrote when I originally uploaded some of the earlier pieces.   I realize that most will never see what I have written, but I do see that occasionally some do, and when it comes to the history of certain pieces like my most recent Disney acquisition from 1932, they deserve to be showcased with a proper writeup. 

On 12/19/2022 at 3:49 PM, Buzzetta said:

At some point, I may upload better images and edit and expand on some of the descriptions as opposed to some of the short blurbs I wrote when I originally uploaded some of the earlier pieces.   I realize that most will never see what I have written, but I do see that occasionally some do, and when it comes to the history of certain pieces like my most recent Disney acquisition from 1932, they deserve to be showcased with a proper writeup. 

I love reading people's descriptions/provenance of the work they post. I try to do that when I can (and have the information or some personal musings about a piece) - because I think it really adds to the community in the sense of (forgive the cliche marketing wording) it makes the experience so much more immersive and personal. Seeing a vintage piece is cool, hearing about the history or backstory makes it more like a "museum" experience - especially for those of us who are far and away from conventions or art shows.

On 12/20/2022 at 10:27 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I love reading people's descriptions/provenance of the work they post. I try to do that when I can (and have the information or some personal musings about a piece) - because I think it really adds to the community in the sense of (forgive the cliche marketing wording) it makes the experience so much more immersive and personal. Seeing a vintage piece is cool, hearing about the history or backstory makes it more like a "museum" experience - especially for those of us who are far and away from conventions or art shows.

I love a good description. I want to know why they bought the page/image. You might enjoy my descriptions. I claim that they are the best on the CAF. Here's an example.