• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wankiest Article Ever Written - Arthur Suydam

36 posts in this topic

Arthur Suydam is a massive wanker, with a huge, unwarranted ego. He's known to lie and steal other people's art and photos to sell as his own work. Well I found the wankiest article I think I've ever read, that just so happens to be about him, and who is it written by? One of the few people on the planet who can stand him, his agent! 

Enjoy reading this and try not to vomit as he's compared to Renaissance artists and we hear of all his various feats, many of which apparently didn't happen. 

https://imgur.com/a/QkqJRzK

Hear him take credit for various things here, including Walking Dead (he did one variant cover, I believe):

Edited by Cat

On 12/12/2022 at 9:15 AM, seanfingh said:

At the height of his Zombification money-train, I asked him to sign a copy of Cholly and Flytrap #1. He told me I needed to buy $50 in stuff from his table for him to do that.  There was a plastic trash can in his field of vision so I walked over and chucked the book in.

That’s  what you get when you mess with the ginger ^^

On 12/12/2022 at 9:18 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

That’s  what you get when you mess with the ginger ^^

What makes it so bad (for the N00bs to understand) is that at the time almost no one was charging for sigs. Neal Adams might still have been free. That's the context.  Frickin Suydam

On 12/12/2022 at 9:15 AM, seanfingh said:

At the height of his Zombification money-train, I asked him to sign a copy of Cholly and Flytrap #1. He told me I needed to buy $50 in stuff from his table for him to do that.  There was a plastic trash can in his field of vision so I walked over and chucked the book in.

bwhahaha that's epic.   

The Cholly and flytrap era work is cool though. 

I love the stand you took though lol 

I've told the story here a few times...at the 2008 Montreal Comic Con I ended up at the organizer's supper with the guests and bigger dealers (including Harley and Herb Trimpe) as well as Art.  I actually ended up stiiting beside him, and we started talking about all sorts of stuff that wasn't comics and we had a great time.  He's also an accomplished musician, got a lot of good stories too.  We may or may not have ended up at one or two of Montreal's stellar late night establishments ;).  The next day he was happy to sign a number of items for me at the show.  

All to say, maybe I got him on a good day.  Maybe he's sometimes tired of talking comics.  

My old LCS sponsored his trip here for a Supanova convention, as in paid for all his flights to and around Australia and back home again, all his accommodation and meals, everything. The day came when my LCS guy finally got to meet him in person. They got to chatting and LCS guy asked Suydam politely for a small sketch to hang in the shop. Suydam quoted him a price. 

It was the last person the store ever sponsored. 

On 12/11/2022 at 11:12 PM, Cat said:

Arthur Suydam is a massive wanker, with a huge, unwarranted ego. He's known to lie and steal other people's art and photos to sell as his own work. Well I found the wankiest article I think I've ever read, that just so happens to be about him, and who is it written by? One of the few people on the planet who can stand him, his agent! 

Enjoy reading this and try not to vomit as he's compared to Renaissance artists and we hear of all his various feats, many of which apparently didn't happen. 

https://imgur.com/a/QkqJRzK

Hear him take credit for various things here, including Walking Dead (he did one variant cover, I believe):

I love his art but not sure I would like him as a person.

On 12/13/2022 at 12:07 AM, wardevil0 said:

here's the iconic Brian Bolland Killing Joke cover (but as a zombie), 

He got in deep trouble for that one. He wholely stole a cosplayer's photo and added a Google-sourced skull into it. He didn't get the permission of the cosplayer and it got noticed fast. Suydam sent the guy a model release retroactively to try and smooth things over and offered a 'standard release fee' but the cosplayer wasn't having it (good on him for having principles). So Suydam then said that was never the cover (so why did he need the model release?) it was just a mock-up, and he was working on the real cover now. The real cover was a shot of Joker and Harley from Suicide Squad (so why would you have a mock-up that has nothing to do with your final concept advertising your cover?), altered to look like Joker is a zombie, and to look a bit less Margot Robbie. Yet again he just stole work and photoshopped existing work he didn't own. 

On 12/13/2022 at 4:18 AM, Dr. Balls said:

This thread is worthless without pictures.

Here's some pics of the Brian Bolland Killing Joke cover swipe, and all the elements that he put into it. 

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/separated-at-birth-arthur-suydam-dceased-4-harleys-joker-cosplay-killing-joke/

On 12/12/2022 at 1:04 PM, Cat said:

My old LCS sponsored his trip here for a Supanova convention, as in paid for all his flights to and around Australia and back home again, all his accommodation and meals, everything. The day came when my LCS guy finally got to meet him in person. They got to chatting and LCS guy asked Suydam politely for a small sketch to hang in the shop. Suydam quoted him a price. 

oof.   that's unbelievable.   

On 12/12/2022 at 1:47 PM, wardevil0 said:

But... why would there be a pool of blood dripping out of the camera lens...?  

Auto Draft

Bloodshot eye (shrug)

On 12/12/2022 at 12:04 PM, Cat said:

I am sorry to hear about this.  It's a good thing that I don't know him well BUT I NEVER like any of his Zombie Superheroes works. I don't bother to learn about him.  My ignorance is a bliss. Thanks for your insight and experience about him.  I can relate your ordeal with him in your country.

In my deaf world, every time I heard about John Maucere and I want to puke.  I never get afraid to speak up against him and don't care about him.  He is Kappa Gamma member (the only fraternity in the world) which is a gatekeeper for Gallaudet University (they have a long history of anti-semitic and systemic racism). To anyone who is Kappa Gamma member thinks they are elite members in the deaf world and always get a higher position with great salary because of favoritism.

John thinks himself as an important person in the deaf art world. One time, deaf Kenyans wanted him to perform in their big Kenyan festival for four days.  His response was....First of all, I wanted First Class seat and five star hotel and all food and drink must be free. Sadly, deaf Kenyans hesitantly agreed to pay him everything for the festival sake. His performance was ok.  He didn't care about it.  After his departure, they NEVER wanted to let it happen again and boldly told everything about him to the whole deaf world.  That was his last international trip in 2014 except World Deaf Expo in Paris in 2019 (they refused to pay him the flight and hotel - good for them!). Never again with him around the world.  He is like Arthur demanded the fees for his signature or taking the picture.  He is a POS.

He is wankiest and tackiest too.  He always sucks on the stage or film.  https://thejmshow.com/

On 12/12/2022 at 2:15 PM, seanfingh said:

I always liked his work in Heavy Metal, Cholly and Flytrap. You’d think he’d be impressed by someone bringing him an example of his earlier, pre-zombie artwork, original work rather than homaging, indicative of a long-term, real, appreciative fan. I would’ve had just as much disappointment with his attitude.  

Edited by Ken Aldred