• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wankiest Article Ever Written - Arthur Suydam

36 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2022 at 2:48 PM, s-man said:
On 12/12/2022 at 12:47 PM, wardevil0 said:

But... why would there be a pool of blood dripping out of the camera lens...?  

Auto Draft

Expand  

Bloodshot eye 

Splatter! Shattered, he's in tatters ~ Stones

On 12/12/2022 at 12:02 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The original...

522954DB-FDCF-42DB-A0FC-78178A3C8162.jpeg.6f5b3d6ad60ec27e0cb98c7880ed6412.jpeg

And this is apparently the skull used from a google search...

0577112E-D9B6-408A-96AE-FEF131399FD7.webp.623a536c9226a26f0f619ece493d6ca4.webp

And he used my grandma’s sun hat.

I was surprised to learn many years ago that many artists really do not like the guy. 
Now I understand why. I would be upset too if someone spent a career copying other
popular artist work. I guess you can fault the guy for building a better mouse trap, but
at least now I understand why so many artists are not a fan.

Funny interview.  I know a pile of artists now make a good living as "just" a cover artist but it still sounds weird to me when he says "he did all the art" when as far as I know he just did covers on all those books?  And as others have said, all homages, no original design.  I've seen him at a few shows but don't own any of his work so never dropped by to get a signature.  Wasn't he also the guy who was posting pictures of the massive lines at his booth when, in fact, they weren't his lines?

On 12/12/2022 at 8:59 PM, roach04 said:

Funny interview.  I know a pile of artists now make a good living as "just" a cover artist but it still sounds weird to me when he says "he did all the art" when as far as I know he just did covers on all those books?  And as others have said, all homages, no original design.  I've seen him at a few shows but don't own any of his work so never dropped by to get a signature.  Wasn't he also the guy who was posting pictures of the massive lines at his booth when, in fact, they weren't his lines?

They weren't anyone's lines. It was a ridiculous editing job.

But can you blame him? A long line looks a lot better than a vast wasteland in front of the tables (that you stole from somebody else) because you're :censored: and there's nobody there to see you.

On 12/12/2022 at 11:20 PM, Cat said:

Sure was. 

hDFe0pU_d.webp.6bab251103ceeb1b3e160eb830299a48.webp1092294278_eAEgwdC_d(1).webp.56c88a31118ea90800282e0dbe504872.webp160257033_F4nWr7n_d(1).webp.1ac0952afe6d7071bb60dd0ca45b1c6e.webp

Oh boy. I’d rather have been depants’d in front of everybody at a high school assembly than get busted doing this kind of editing job for promoting my art.

Edited by Dr. Balls

It has to be insecurity instead of hubris, he had a good line 10 people deep which would have made a great picture.

Edit to add:

I fully understand the art theft though; Land has gotten away with it for years without real repercussions outside of angry internet posts, so why can't Suydam.:ohnoez:

For real though, I know a couple artists who will use an-others reference work and they always shoot an email first and just ask "hey can I copy your homework"? when they say yes it's an homage when they say no, the artist will just ask someone else.

Edited by DougC

Reminds me of an unforgettably hyperbolic British TV ad for the prog rock band Yes, back during their 70s peak…

’Wherever they go, millions flock to see them!’

Let’s not get too carried away.

Quite a throng here too.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 12/18/2022 at 10:47 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Oh boy. I’d rather have been depants’d in front of everybody at a high school assembly than get busted doing this kind of editing job for promoting my art.

When it was first suggested on the CGC forums that the lines of people were photoshopped, Renée Witterstaetter actually showed up here and stated something like, "If you think those photos have been altered you aren't very intelligent."  (I'm paraphrasing, but that was the essence of her comment.)  Then, when the internet sleuths here found the source photos and posted them she tried to blame the whole incident on an overzealous intern who had created the altered photos without her knowledge or consent.  Yeah, right.  :eyeroll:

I lost all respect for Suydam and Witterstaetter after that.

Edited by Mutant Manatee

On 12/19/2022 at 7:02 AM, Mutant Manatee said:

When it was first suggested on the CGC forums that the lines of people were photoshopped, Renée Witterstaetter actually showed up here and stated something like, "If you think those photos have been altered you're an insufficiently_thoughtful_person."  (I'm paraphrasing, but that was the essence of her comment.)  Then, when the internet sleuths here found the source photos and posted them she tried to blame the whole incident on an overzealous intern who had created the alered photos without her knowledge or consent.  Yeah, right.  :eyeroll:

I lost all respect for Suydam and Witterstaetter after that.

lol The intern did it! From my experience on the convention circuit, if you're needing to Photoshop crowds at your booth for promotional purposes, you generally aren't busy or popular enough to have an "intern".