• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: ASM 121: Grade is in...
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Grade is in... two surprises here... 

9.2 for the first shocker...

Purple label for the other.... looking back at my original photos, I now see it clear as day that this was trimmed along the back... an obvious shred is hanging off it...

What was this before I sent it to CGC????

PGX 9.2. I thought I would get an 8.0 on this just based on that, so happy in one respect, bummed in another.

image.jpeg.c2dc93f7887f24e5041afeb3843cfb8d.jpeg

image.png.c5cfbd551181b5d44272e420b1aca7a5.png

I mean, CGC has NEVER (to my knowledge) ever elaborated on how they check for trimming. Why would be beyond me....I would like to think and trust that the person who graded the books has seen enough to know but maybe not. To me it looks factory related....it certainly is an odd trim to the point where one would ask "why"? 

Also, the fact that it has a miswrap on the front (like it is all askew and such) would add to the possibility that this book's back cover issue is also production related. I would call error on CGC here right now unless they provided me a better answer but they never would so...sadly I guess this is what it is.

Bummer about the trim issue, but still a sweet book!

I thought grades here were harsh before scrolling down. Those little gripper holes along the bottom edge are a common production flaw with #121s. Like it or not, CGC has never downgraded for those.

On 1/31/2023 at 9:15 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Also, the fact that it has a miswrap on the front (like it is all askew and such) would add to the possibility that this book's back cover issue is also production related.

Not sure a production defect would have those scissor cuts. My guess is that due to the miswrap the back cover was visible when looking at the front and a previous owner “made it look better”.   

On 1/31/2023 at 9:27 AM, ThothAmon said:

Not sure a production defect would have those scissor cuts. My guess is that due to the miswrap the back cover was visible when looking at the front and a previous owner “made it look better”.   

Fair enough. Like I said it would just be cool to know more about how CGC determines such things definitively….