• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats this worth?

13 posts in this topic

I had to google "dye-sub".  It looks to be part of the printing process so no hand drawn art.  There is a slim chance that it is a colour guide so maybe touched by a colourist?

But since it's not exactly a hit title, it's not worth a lot even if it was a colour guide hand coloured by someone, sorry.

Malvin

On 12/12/2022 at 8:30 PM, malvin said:

I had to google "dye-sub".  It looks to be part of the printing process so no hand drawn art.  There is a slim chance that it is a colour guide so maybe touched by a colourist?

But since it's not exactly a hit title, it's not worth a lot even if it was a colour guide hand coloured by someone, sorry.

Malvin

Dye sublimation was/is a printing process that more closely replicates a photographic image more than a lithograph does (it’s printed differently than offset printing) - it was a very popular process 20-25 years ago. I don’t recall a lot about it - but I have personally seen it used for color proofing.

Before Giclee really began gaining speed, dye sublimation produced really vivid images.

This image has trim marks and color information, however, a true proof would also include the bleed area (outside the crop marks) so it appears that maybe they printing information was printed on this print for looks rather than functionality.

I imagine it’s very colorful and vibrant, and while it may not have value in the sense of it’s not from a “hot” title, it’s also kind of neat in terms that the printing process was only used for maybe 5-10 years before giclee printing gained in usage.

Primortals was published by Tekno Comics, which had these elaborate kiosks/booths at malls with the company’s logo made in a large, resin-like sculpt over the booth and the logo was being grabbed by a giant robotic hand and arm. They were really very cool and even my little mall in Charleston, WV, had one. The kiosks sold all types of cool Tekno Comics stuff (along with comics from Marvel, DC, Dark Horse and Image) and I believe these were part of that merchandising line. They’re probably not worth a whole lot, but very cool to see.

On 12/17/2022 at 1:21 PM, Niko1975 said:

So this is a Arturo Louga 17 x 11 Conan Commission  and I don't know if it's pencil or a print ? Thanks for any info

Screenshot_20221217-150525_Facebook.jpg

The highs and lows in the black areas appear that it's an original, and the greytones are either inkwash or watercolor - if you're asking if it's been published, I don't know - I'll let a Conan expert chime in on that.

I don't know much about comic strips, this one is twice up, and has some great fire-and-brimstone dialogue. Signed by Stan Lynde, published in 1976, and I believe it to be a Rick O'Shay strip. It seems Stan's stuff is anywhere from $80 on up, anyone have any knowledge they can lend to valuation?

2055751976_StanLyndeRickOShay1976.thumb.jpg.664f53d84c59a833084ad47daf6b0d98.jpg

On 12/20/2022 at 10:10 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I don't know much about comic strips, this one is twice up, and has some great fire-and-brimstone dialogue. Signed by Stan Lynde, published in 1976, and I believe it to be a Rick O'Shay strip. It seems Stan's stuff is anywhere from $80 on up, anyone have any knowledge they can lend to valuation?

2055751976_StanLyndeRickOShay1976.thumb.jpg.664f53d84c59a833084ad47daf6b0d98.jpg

It is Stan's work. It is from Rick O'Shay. That's Rick on the far left of the last panel. I don't recognize any of the other characters. His art is relatively scarce because most of his strips were burned in a fire in Montana studio.

In general, everything I know about pricing can be read on the CGC OA Board thread called Pricing Comic Art - Update 2021.

Beyond that, I can tell you what I paid for my Rick O'Shay strips. Hope this helps. I love his work. The closest match is the 1975 strip that i bought 11 years ago.

Rick O’Shay – 1959–03–11

Dealer – Pop Culture Co. Houston

Published Strip

2013-12-26

Rick O’Shay – 1964-09-20

Heritage

Published Strip

2019-03-04

Rick O’Shay – 1975–09–25

eBay

Published Strip

2011-12-06

Rick O’Shay – Christmas in Conniption

Direct

Commission

2007-09-20

Looking for pricing information for a friend who is looking to sell. He has a $1000 offer in hand. should he take it? Should I offer him more? Thanks in advance for opinions. 

F336A854-59D5-4580-9C7D-814FDE56B224.jpeg

09AE5482-372C-4033-97E2-04BF1CCF56BB.jpeg