• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tashen the Fantastic worlds of Frank Frazetta JAN 6,2023...50 years in the making

81 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2023 at 6:22 PM, Mmehdy said:

still on pre-order on amazon as of today.....anyone else get one?

Yeah, my copy arrived this morning . . . I was lying in bed nursing a hangover and the mailman knocked, so I rushed (staggered) downstairs and received my copy, which was ordered Monday (shipped from Germany to the UK).  It looks terrific, and probably rating now as the definitive Frazetta book to own!

Was pleased to see the very first Fritz original I ever owned in the selection of art images . . . an early Johnny Comet daily I bought from Russ Cochran in the early 1980s (sadly departed from my collection years ago).

The only Frazetta remaining with me is a pressbook illustration for the movie, The Night They Raided Minsky's (1968).  The Minsky's movie poster painting has always been one of my favorite FF images but over the several times it's came up for auction since the mid-1980s onwards has always been out of my budget range . . . so the pressbook original is a nice consolation prize for me.

For those that obsess over such things (definitely not me), this one's numbered at 3367.

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

Edited by The Voord

I pre-ordered the Famous First Edition through mycomicshop back on Aug 31st, which is nice that you get a decent discount ($180) by ordering early through the previews catalog. I don't trust Amazon's shoddy shipping, yeah its free but I'm ok paying the $5 mycomicshop charges; they ship in a tank. Been anxiously awaiting the shipping date! Was hoping to have it in hand to coincide with Frank's birthday but, alas, the order was updated this week and it will ship Feb 8th so it will just miss the Feb 9th birth date!

That collectors edition is beautiful, got me thinking of ordering it as well 😍

On 1/17/2023 at 6:28 PM, Landerian said:

I pre-ordered the Famous First Edition through mycomicshop back on Aug 31st, which is nice that you get a decent discount ($180) by ordering early through the previews catalog. I don't trust Amazon's shoddy shipping, yeah its free but I'm ok paying the $5 mycomicshop charges; they ship in a tank. Been anxiously awaiting the shipping date! Was hoping to have it in hand to coincide with Frank's birthday but, alas, the order was updated this week and it will ship Feb 8th so it will just miss the Feb 9th birth date!

That collectors edition is beautiful, got me thinking of ordering it as well 😍

The Collectors  Edition  FF cover  with slipcase is  Fantastic and I agree on Amazon....for an extra $10 or something like that you have to wait a month get a bumped up shipping box which I feel is part of the collectors value....I agree Amazon is a waste of time for true comic art collectors, ..for the next Marvel Volume ( and FF is great) I am going with the publisher Tashen directly.

Edited by Mmehdy

I got mine from Amazon and it was packed very well! It came double boxed. The inside box had the Tashen box that was sealed from Tashen, shrink wrapped the box to a piece of cardboard the size of the inside of the shipping outer box so the book doesn't slide around during shipping. It came to me in perfect condition!

Going to buy the FF Tashen next from Amazon.

001-001.thumb.jpg.381671100d70d08c149ac9149ebfcabd.jpg002.thumb.jpg.8715947e26acd2867bf0e3edbbf19dee.jpg

Edited by ak47po

On 1/18/2023 at 12:00 PM, ak47po said:

I got mine from Amazon and it was packed very well! It came double boxed. The inside box had the Tashen box that was sealed from Tashen, shrink wrapped the box to a piece of cardboard the size of the inside of the shipping outer box so the book doesn't slide around during shipping. It came to me in perfect condition!

Going to buy the FF Tashen next from Amazon.

001-001.thumb.jpg.381671100d70d08c149ac9149ebfcabd.jpg002.thumb.jpg.8715947e26acd2867bf0e3edbbf19dee.jpg

I’ve ordered artist books in the past from Amazon and they shipped them in large flimsy boxes with no protection, save for a strip of plastic bag air pockets which did nothing to prevent damage. Upon return with comments to ship with better packaging and more protection, they shipped another dinged up book back to me the exact same way. Glad to hear Amazon is stepping up their shipping methods with these fine art books. But for me, I just as well avoid that headache when I can!

Great new video unboxing with  the Famous Funnies back cover on Youtube just posted, if someone can help link that it would be great...for those on the fence which edition to get please check it out by Richard Friend poster entitled  "Unboxing the fantastic worlds of frank Frazetta!! Is this the greatest Frazetta book ever????? YES" its 27 1/2 minutes of pure joy with 55 comments...

there is a second video just posted entitled "unboxing the fantastic worlds of frank frazetta by tashen and first reaction"  which is over 55 minutes long....and 57 comments

so if someone could please help linking these it would be great.

My update....Amazon says still on pre-order and #1 new pre-release, Bud Plant and Cheap GN are sold out!!!!!! of the regular...Bud Plant on the special says not published yet 3-31 date....Bud, see the video, its published

Edited by Mmehdy

I probably have 10+ art books dedicated to Frazetta, surprised by how much I'm learning from this one... bet a ton of personal recollections were sprinkled in by Frazetta Girls.  What a treat.

And it's huge.  Literally, the dimensions... bigger than any other tome in the house.

Found another good video, if anyone can please link the two above videos and this one....from youtube. : "Sara Frazetta talks the Frazetta Tashen Book and the Frazettaverse comics" interesting talk and frank's Grand daughter is fantastic!

Amazon still a no go.

On 2/1/2023 at 8:34 PM, Mmehdy said:

Found another good video, if anyone can please link the two above videos and this one....from youtube. : "Sara Frazetta talks the Frazetta Tashen Book and the Frazettaverse comics" interesting talk and frank's Grand daughter is fantastic!

Amazon still a no go.

It appears Tashen is having a "FLASH" sale...so far-  Marvel Comics Library the Amazing Spiderman is 50% off at only $100....."The History of EC comics" is 40% off only $120....and that is a great book too...keeping my eyes out for the Frazetta book and am still waiting on Amazon to perform.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 2/5/2023 at 4:51 PM, Mmehdy said:

It appears Tashen is having a "FLASH" sale...so far-  Marvel Comics Library the Amazing Spiderman is 50% off at only $100....."The History of EC comics" is 40% off only $120....and that is a great book too...keeping my eyes out for the Frazetta book and am still waiting on Amazon to perform.

Thanks for the updates, appreciate you keeping this live. I may dive in on this and clear out the other 50 Frazetta books I have.

One of the better reviews posted 3 days ago , if anyone can help post it thanks in advance ...I liked this one with clear video...I recommend you enlarge the window. "The Fantastic worlds  of Frank Frazetta First Look" by organicpricedbooks.com...this guy has an great comic art book collection behind him...it almost 15 Mins...if you are on the fence....check this video out.

In the meantime...Amazon still a no go....claiming "pre-order"......

Edited by Mmehdy

interesting development , Amazon is admitting the book has been published, but apparently it is sold out and they are not getting any copies. It used to be on pre-order, it no longer is...I believe this could be a sellout and the only place to get it is Bud Plant or someone else. Did anyone ever get a copy of this book from Amazon?

On 2/21/2023 at 2:24 AM, Mmehdy said:

interesting development , Amazon is admitting the book has been published, but apparently it is sold out and they are not getting any copies. It used to be on pre-order, it no longer is...I believe this could be a sellout and the only place to get it is Bud Plant or someone else. Did anyone ever get a copy of this book from Amazon?

I ordered mine directly from the publisher and received it well within a week.  Taschen are showing this as available.  I try to order things like this directly from the people who produce it, unless I see a better price elsewhere (and with the Frazetta book, I didn't).  Looks like you've had an agonizing wait for nothing on Amazon, Mitch, and there's no excuse for them failing to supply what they've offered . . . 

On 12/12/2022 at 11:23 PM, Mmehdy said:

496 extra large  world class clear pages..THE Frank Frazetta book for all time.Retail is $200 if you shop it right on Amazon it could go as low as $150........ Over the years I have gradually come to the understanding that FF and his incredible body of work might not ever be unsurpassed. Yes I know his OA sold for over 5 million( great one) and with the publication of this book,which will be distributed to a number of high $$$$ art collectors...do not be surprised to see a significant  OA price jump on everything and especially  the "good stuff".  If you were ever on the fence to buy an original FF...do it before Jan 6, 2023  Tashen is big time.... I have met the author and she is fantastic....as you can see from some of the photos of the book, it is gonna contain stuff NEVER published before as well as a clarity of his painting that is unsurpassed. I like the Painting of FF and of course the price on that book was just unbeatable at $39..and I bought collectors from David Spurlock at $69 for money spot on deal...now I know the notes were a bit off and some claim the paintings did not look as good as they could of...I can agree to that, but its not $200 or $150 if bargain hunting or tight budget I still like it...I have bought the Arine, Spurlock, and first ones.  the soft cover ones.....ok....but this looks like FINALLY it will be the last and by far BEST  one....I will give you my review as soon as I get it....Jan 6,2023  ship date in a perfect world from Amazon....your thoughts and if anyone has an advance copy or gets it early...post a review!!!!!!!!!

That's a beautiful book but what's the significance of Taschen?  200 bucks is steep!

Edited by WolverineX