• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Fantast Collection' Kick Starter 'Selling Superman' (#1 CGC 7.0 blue) documentary 2024
6 6

277 posts in this topic

On 12/25/2022 at 3:11 PM, Josh Chrisman said:

We’ve only got certificates for graded books right now and how do I sell on here?

Can sell here: https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/63-comics-market-forum-only-selling-area/

There’s some guidelines you need to follow, but it’s pretty simple.

On 12/13/2022 at 12:35 PM, aardvark88 said:

I did not see a topic on this.

Matt Nelson, Harley Yee, and estate family members chat about this incredibly deep estate collection full of golden age keys, multiple copies of silver age and bronze age keys, semi-keys in 2024 documentary 'Selling Superman.' CGC article link here. More info: https://www.sellingsuperman.com/

After reading the CGC article and watching the promotional video, my spider sense kicked in from the "Fantast." I went back through my auction purchases and found one with a Fantast Certificate. When I picked up Incredible Hulk 102, 9.0 it came from Heritage with the Fantast Collection Certificate signed by Darren Watts. So this has been in the works for awhile and they are out there, minus the new CGC Fantast label. Picked it up fall of 2022. Graded in 2021 by CGC. I'm curious on how many may have been sold from 2021 to present to raise some of the initial funding. 

On 12/14/2022 at 12:58 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Holy bat balls, what a find!

I mean sometimes I wonder, maybe nothing of great significance is still hidden and tucked away, but then comes the Promise Collection and now this. Clearly insane, beyond epic collections are still out there. Might be years away, but have to wonder what’s next.

I think we're probably hitting the stage where very very few additional OO GA collections are going to emerge, and probably not many OO SA collections either (at least not ultra-HG ones).  

However, as evidenced by this collection, I think there's a very good chance that there are still many assembled collections (GA and SA) that will emerge for many years to come. 

Comic collecting as an organized hobby really started in the mid- to late-1960s, and started hitting its stride in the 1970s.  In other words, around 50 years ago, which means collectors who assembled their collections around 4-5 decades ago from dealers, cons, etc., are hitting the point that they're retiring and/or passing on.  Obviously only a very very small percentage of collectors are hoarders who never sold off much from their collection over the past 5 decades, but now is the time that those types of collections would start to surface. 

On 3/29/2023 at 7:11 AM, tth2 said:

However, as evidenced by this collection, I think there's a very good chance that there are still many assembled collections (GA and SA) that will emerge for many years to come. 

I imagine probably the best one out of these in terms of the GA assembled collections would be BZ's collection as that covers the early time period starting from the late 30's.  (thumbsu  :cloud9:

On 3/29/2023 at 10:17 AM, tth2 said:

I gave my daughter many chances to get into comics

This sounds ominous....

My observation is that the next generation seldom follows in the footsteps of the first.  Even when the collecting gene is passed on, it often results in a collector of something different than the prior generation.

On 3/30/2023 at 9:55 AM, JQ Comics said:

Herley Yee has some long boxes that he takes to shows from the Fantast Collection. He provides certificates with the purchase of any fantast collection book. I am not sure if it was already discussed. Here is an example B|

D4A09326-BF11-4867-B015-BF6613A413DE.png

"hundreds of copies" of first issues, and first appearances :whatthe:

On 3/30/2023 at 5:02 PM, adamstrange said:
On 3/30/2023 at 1:17 AM, tth2 said:

I gave my daughter many chances to get into comics

This sounds ominous....

My observation is that the next generation seldom follows in the footsteps of the first.  Even when the collecting gene is passed on, it often results in a collector of something different than the prior generation.

The next generation in this case seems hell bent on self promotion.    Movie first, comics second.   The trauma of surviving Dad still seems quite unprocessed.

And the x-wife didn't seem to miss any opportunities sticking the knife at every, and any chance, on dear dead dad.   RIP

On 3/30/2023 at 2:42 AM, Microchip said:

And the x-wife didn't seem to miss any opportunities sticking the knife at every, and any chance, on dear dead dad.   RIP

I see that as a sort of self-defense mechanism on her part.    She cut him out of her life over his habits, and now that it turns out those habits will make the family 5, 10 million dollars or more she is making excuses for her past behaviour.   "Well, he was unbearable (anyone would have dumped him).   (I'm a good person, I swear)."

It probably was difficult to live with that collection and she probably has a lot of resentment.   But I think her speaking ill of the dead is more about her than about him in this case.

She's probably conflicted too about this collection she hated suddenly being the focus of the family and being celebrated.

Edited by Bronty

On 3/30/2023 at 10:52 AM, Bronty said:

I see that as a sort of self-defense mechanism on her part.    She cut him out of her life over his habits, and now that it turns out those habits will make the family 5, 10 million dollars or more she is making excuses for her past behaviour.   "Well, he was unbearable (anyone would have dumped him).   (I'm a good person, I swear)."

It probably was difficult to live with that collection and she probably has a lot of resentment.   But I think her speaking ill of the dead is more about her than about him in this case.

She's probably conflicted too about this collection she hated suddenly being the focus of the family and being celebrated.

Not speaking of this particular instance, but it may be difficult for anyone to come to terms with the fact a person you originally devoted your life to and loved cared more about funny books than you. I personally know of a few individuals the hobby has consumed and put a strain on any type of personal relationship they have or had. With that said, it looks to be a fantastic collection, and I hope to see more come out about it.

On 12/24/2022 at 7:41 AM, rumrunner71 said:

Fascinating story, but also really sad. As a father, my greatest hope with my collection is to share this passion with my kids. It has to be really hard as an adult son knowing your father had this passion (or obsession) and never invited you in to share it. Maybe it was the Aspergers, maybe not. I don't want to jump to conclusions about his neuro-abilities. But that has to be painful either way. Imagine losing out on embarking on the thrill of the hunt together, as father and son. No doubt, the money will be nice, but, man, what a loss.

Well said.

I guess the OO collections are done and this is the leading edge of the estates of big early collectors.    Guys that fit the profile of people like bangzoom, etc (who will hopefully be around for many years).

On 3/31/2023 at 4:46 AM, Bronty said:

I guess the OO collections are done and this is the leading edge of the estates of big early collectors.    Guys that fit the profile of people like bangzoom, etc (who will hopefully be around for many years).

I think it's too early to say that the OO collections are done (as evidenced by the Promise collection).  But they are definitely going to be very very rare.

On 3/30/2023 at 5:17 PM, tth2 said:

I think it's too early to say that the OO collections are done (as evidenced by the Promise collection).  But they are definitely going to be very very rare.

Well, there's the Chinatown Collection that's still waiting in the wings to make its appearance in the marketplace after all these long long years. (thumbsu  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/31/2023 at 12:38 PM, lou_fine said:
On 3/31/2023 at 8:17 AM, tth2 said:

Well, there's the Chinatown Collection that's still waiting in the wings to make its appearance in the marketplace after all these long long years. (thumbsu  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Yeah, but its existence is already known so it doesn't count as new to market anymore.