• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GoCollect or GPA Question
3 3

17 posts in this topic

seems like GPA

I too was going to say GPA.

It's what I feel is quoted by dealers, as far as free accounts I'm positive it is gocollect.

Gocollect offers more for free, certain grades for all books.

GPA may be more comprehensive and for the more devoted, as there are only three books free with GPA; although what they show for the three is the whole shebang for them to "try it out." The free GPA books are hulk 181, FF #48 and ASM #129.

Gocollect shows the census for all books for free and certain grades, which is sometimes good enough for me. :)

As for word of mouth, seems dealers say buyers are like ":butbutbutemoji: GPA says!?!"

About all the summarizing available 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

In current times is either Go or GPA even accurate? With the bubble burst data from as recently as Oct is pretty much worthless. IMHO the trend and other data is more suited to a somewhat stable market not to one in free-fall.

Based on the writers plying their hack hyperbolic blogs/columns at Go, I'd probably avoid them.   Today there they are trying yet again to prop up ASM361 as each of their writers must have a stack of 100 of them. Then again who doesn't :)

P.S. See first line of my signature

Edited by MAR1979

Seems I remember when one of them or both updated the site, within a couple of years ago, that people switched or didn't like GPA load time. I suppose it has got better, or the complaint line seemed short, and or it didn't last long.

It seems most feel one or the other is a necessity. I've got by without them fairly well. They're fun to look at, but I'm not ever making huge amount in purchases and I've never been dependent on either.

It's either that, or I don't know what I'm missing and ignorance is bliss haha. :roflmao:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Based on what I've seen from GoCollect, GPA is a far more accurate gauge of FMV, keeping in mind it's a guide and shouldn't be read like stock market indices. Monthly cost is about the same as a few moderns or cups of coffee, so it's a no-brainer for my toolbox.

I have both and there are differences, both positive and negative.  GPA shows values for recorded sales only from their partners. Good as that data may be, its incomplete (limited to just their partners data) but 99.9% are actual sales, no guesswork involved.  GoCollect shows values for all comics in every grade that they have extrapolated FROM actual sales data.  These are phantom values.  (like lets say they have many sales under 8.0 posted. They then calculate values from the 8.0s and down and come up with values up to 9.8.  I feel until a 9.8 or 9.6 sells, we can only guess their values. So the difference is that on GPA these are empty slots, but GoCollect offers a value. Could be misleading, and doesn't really help.

GoCollect however can be used like a "price guide" for all the other data it contains... PLUS COVERS! GoCollect has much more detailed info than GPA (which has none relating to content, just dates) but of course, not as much as  Comics.org. Thats fine because the extra info especially covers is very helpful as a resource in identifying a particular issue or variant.  But as a pricing source GPA is all business no frills.

Years ago, GPA upgraded their site and people got out their pitchforks, and many people moved to GoCollect. Then GoCollect upgraded and people once again got out their pitchforks. I've used both. I now exclusively use GC, just because it's cheaper. I mainly use it for the completed sales data and never take their word for any FMV, I do the work myself ... which is easy to do if you have completed sales from the last few years.

And I like the cover pics. (thumbsu

Well I was not happy with the changes, but as usually happens I used it more and it seems fine now.  Just have to pop open so man portals to drill down. And close them again to save screen space.  It makes sense that each layer of data is nested cause it’s just too much to take in if all were visible.. just wish it could read my mind what I’m looking to see without clicking so much.

On 12/14/2022 at 11:44 PM, ThatNerdyCanuck said:

Does anyone know if either platform allows you to keep track of the graded books you OWN and their current FMVs

You can add your graded books to GPA and they'll be listed in your My Comics area, which displays the cost and valuation of each book along with the total cost and valuation of your portfolio.

Whether you are a dealer or a collector, you can never have too much information.  I have paid subscriptions to GPA, GoCollect, and KeyCollector.  These subscriptions are a tiny fraction of what it costs to be a collector these days (most will spend far more on supplies every year).  I generally pay for an entire year at a time... just easier.  Each has its benefits (of course, one also has to train themselves to properly extrapolate information, catch outliers, check not just the grade you have, but surrounding grades as well, trends, etc.).  GPA has very up-to-date information from eBay and select auction houses, and is esp. useful for golden-age and high-end issues.  GoCollect is nice for images and specific links to sales.  KeyCollector is useful for identifying variants and you can scan down a title (esp. moderns) and quickly spot what is and isn't of premium value.