• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does paying overvalue for a piece of art change the way you view that art
1 1

45 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2022 at 7:08 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I missed out on a piece of art, and had the chance to buy it for more than the hammer price - which, I felt, was an overvalued price. I thought about it for a day and even though I missed out on a few other pieces, I really liked this one and was bummed I lost out on it on auction - so I paid extra. I don't have it in-hand yet, but here it is a few days later, and I'm still happy I bought it. I have a long-term OA goal, so I figure by the time I need to concern myself with parting with my collection, the enjoyment of having it will easily be worth more than the above-value cost I spent on it.

Price shouldn’t matter if you really want something, and can afford it, unless you are also interested in its investment potential or feel the price is so high it will interfere with your enjoyment of it (which can happen). You only live once and you can’t take it with you. So, what the hell, be happy.

On 12/17/2022 at 8:15 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Price shouldn’t matter if you really want something, and can afford it, unless you are also interested in its investment potential or feel the price is so high it will interfere with your enjoyment of it (which can happen). You only live once and you can’t take it with you. So, what the hell, be happy.

image.thumb.png.fe21423baae3ce151cd5b4425e90d4e1.png

On 12/17/2022 at 10:51 PM, stinkininkin said:

All of my favorite artists (Adams, Miller, Kirby, etc. etc) have hundreds or thousands of examples of published works that I have zero interest in. Even from their prime periods and best known works. Mediocre examples by my favorite artists don't interest me in the slightest, ESPECIALLY at todays modern prices. I don't think we should be overpaying for ANY art by A list creators, only their BEST art. Subjective terms? Sure. I just know that I'll wait for that "I know it when I see it" piece to overpay for, and not before.

For my collecting goals, that's a great way to put it. For some people, having any piece by their favorite artist is paramount - and that's their aspect of collecting. I have set aside the fact I'll never own a JSC or Jim Lee piece unless I stopped looking at art and saved my money up for an entire year to buy one.

That will never happen because I enjoy looking for great examples from way lesser-known artists. I don't think I have the discipline to not peek at what's out there and succumb to throwing out offers and bids.