• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You have $500-750 to buy 1 book right now. What is it and why?
4 4

60 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2022 at 10:22 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Bless you for taking the time to answer that for me! I was wondering what would potentially prolong mags or their supplies, although it might have been tangent to the theme of the thread  :shy:

I appreciate it though 😊

I like mags, they just don't get proportionate love from collectors. The 70s Marvel mags are vastly more attractive than the comics.

I'd buy a copy of All-star Comics #58, first appearance of Power Girl. With what's left over I'd buy Spectre #54 for the first appearance of Michael Holt (Mr Terrific). Power Girl just because it's a book I want, and Mr Terrific because (and I know it's cheating because I was only allowed one choice) because James Gunn tweeted out his pic the other week. Spec hard on him! 

..... Okay, specs for DC don't really work, do they? Well, I want that one too. If now happens to be an advantageous time, all the better. I wouldn't sell it anyway. 

On 12/16/2022 at 8:29 AM, Nazirite said:

I have been picking up any minor to major Superman key I can  afford simply because love of character. But now that uncle Gunn is writing, casting and probably directing a new Superman movie that’s even more incentive for me to keep hunting. At that price range( on the higher end of course) you can probably find a very low grade AC 242.

7E021876-EEF9-420D-B309-E6569E3433E2.thumb.jpeg.39f9e9dd2a7b80e3330c8eb67a3ad136.jpeg

A great book , and extremely difficult to find in higher grades.

On 12/15/2022 at 8:10 PM, ThothAmon said:

Was a really popular book when I was living in Greece.  Batman Adventure 12 in 9.2 or so would be my pick. Harley Quinn is da 💣

See, I have a hard time with this one. It's modern enough that a 9.2 feels disappointing. It's definitely on my want list though.

I love allot of the suggestions. Bat 181 and 251 would be high my list. 

For me personally, it would be Avengers 57. It's always been one of my favorite covers. I had a copy for 20+ years and sold it a few years ago to buy some other book. I've always regretted it.

Fantastic Four 52 is another one you might be able to snag if you find a deal. 

On 12/21/2022 at 10:43 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

In 2003 I bought an 8.5 for $750

Today, you literally get nothing for that.

A 1.5 just sold for $1500

Even the ragged out hammered ones without the MVS are selling for that. Insane. This was also the book people were saying it was overpriced at $600-$800 for a 6.0 in 2014 because there were warehouses full of them *somewhere*. I’m waiting for that warehouse find to bring down the price so I can buy back my 6.0 I sold for $600 ten years ago.

On 12/21/2022 at 12:43 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

In 2003 I bought an 8.5 for $750

Today, you literally get nothing for that.

A 1.5 just sold for $1500

Really I missed a 4.5 for 3k cdn