• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why call it the Modern Age?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

This just dawned on me today. The modern age is now at a 30 year point. Is there an end in sight? what comes next?

Also...Until now the Age's were in Metal value order [Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper] It seems the next Age should have been Brass Age, then maybe Aluminum Age, then Iron Age etc..

These things keep me up at night.:eyeroll:

Edited by cigars&comix

On 12/15/2022 at 1:35 PM, cigars&comix said:

This just dawned on me today. The modern age is now at a 30 year point. Is there an end in sight? what comes next?

Also...Until now the Age's were in Metal value order [Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper] It seems the next Age should have been Brass Age, then maybe Aluminum Age, then Iron Age etc..

Acetate Age.:baiting:

On 12/15/2022 at 1:35 PM, cigars&comix said:

"Post-modern Age." :)

On 12/15/2022 at 12:35 PM, cigars&comix said:

The current age is always Modern. Copper and Bronze used to be Modern.

Obviously, comics from 30 years ago aren't current or Modern, but the problem is that those with influence in the hobby don't care enough to do anything about it.

On 12/15/2022 at 5:55 PM, Lazyboy said:

Obviously, comics from 30 years ago aren't current or Modern, but the problem is that those with influence in the hobby don't care enough to do anything about it.

now this is interesting..so there is a possibility it can be changed..  

so my follow up to this is who decides or has influence? CGC the owners of this forum? that would make the most sense. 

On 12/16/2022 at 5:46 AM, cigars&comix said:
On 12/15/2022 at 4:55 PM, Lazyboy said:

now this is interesting..so there is a possibility it can be changed..  

so my follow up to this is who decides or has influence? CGC the owners of this forum? that would make the most sense. 

I'm always wary when this question arises, because it will more than likely happen when CGC adds a new tier and adjusts prices accordingly :shy: 

For an age to break off from modern, there first needs to be a clear break point from the current age.  And I"m not sure there's really a clear point the last couple decades where that happens.  I do think Copper should be extended out to about 2000, though, but that's just me.

On 12/16/2022 at 12:18 PM, OtherEric said:

For an age to break off from modern, there first needs to be a clear break point from the current age.  And I"m not sure there's really a clear point the last couple decades where that happens.  I do think Copper should be extended out to about 2000, though, but that's just me.

I disagree. I think the modern age started with the founding of Image Comics and the bubble that started growing with the Death of Superman. 

On 12/16/2022 at 12:18 PM, OtherEric said:

:screwy:

But at least if we made Copper 20 years long, redefining Modern and the age between them would be less of a priority! :banana:

Eventually the ages will just be referred to by their decades. The 30s, the 40s, etc. This has been mentioned many, many times as the de facto quick reference for dealers and hobbyists, and it's just a matter of time before it takes hold as the proper vernacular.

Even after all these years there are people in this hobby that do not acknowledge the Copper Age and think the Modern Age extends all the way back to 1983. 

If someone says, "I am interested in selling a collection. It's mostly Modern." That could mean anything. If they say, "It's mostly 90s and early 2000s" then it's much clearer.

On 12/16/2022 at 10:27 AM, newshane said:

I disagree. I think the modern age started with the founding of Image Comics and the bubble that started growing with the Death of Superman. 

I personally think the early image books are really part of an era that began with the Independent boom in the mid-80's, and ended when Wildstorm moved to DC or so.  I will freely admit that may in part be me trying to force ages into roughly 15-year spans (Gold 1938-1955, Silver 1955-1970, Bronze 1970-1985, Copper 1985-2000) but it works for me, and my memories of collecting in that era view it as a distinct time.  One thing that always complicates matters is the eras, no matter how hard we try, never quite want to fit our dates exactly... the industry doesn't change completely overnight.  Even using the CCA as the marker between Gold and Silver ignores Dell and Gilberton.

But everybody has their own views, and yours is valid, particularly since it matches the more "official" definition than mine does.

On 12/16/2022 at 5:51 PM, shadroch said:

Yet calling thirty yeat old books modern is okay with you?

No. I agree there needs to be a redefining. I don't have a good suggestion. 

How about something poetic? Let's throw in a prepositional phrase: 

The Age of Entombment 

Edited by newshane

On 12/16/2022 at 11:18 AM, OtherEric said:

To me, there’s a dead period between the end of the Copper Age (early 90’s) to the early 2000’s when Ultimate Spider-Man got going, that feels like its own age.