• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazon's WARHAMMER 40K starring Henry Cavill (TBD)
2 2

32 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2023 at 11:46 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Get whoever worked on Man of Steel. 10 years later and it's still at the top of the genre VFX-wise. More recently, the Star Wars trilogy (like them or not) and Dune looked incredible.

I'm still processing the trauma of sitting all the way through Thor love and Thunder, and Multiverse of Madness.   Both were a complete mess in the CGI department, and I simply can't think of a single reason why such shoddy work was allowed to pass to the final release.

On 1/11/2023 at 6:07 PM, Microchip said:

...I simply can't think of a single reason why such shoddy work was allowed to pass to the final release.

You didn't see the video of Waititi mocking how bad his own movie looked?

A lack of care for your own product will always breed bad results.

On 1/12/2023 at 10:31 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

You didn't see the video of Waititi mocking how bad his own movie looked?

Was he trying to pass the buck early?

I did get the distinct impression with Ragnorok he was just along for the ride, "just direct the actors, we've got the rest of the movie", sort of scenario.

It would be reasonable to assume he wasn't in charge of selecting, and hiring the dozens of CGI studios involved in love and thunder.   That would have squarely sat elsewhere.

On 1/12/2023 at 5:13 PM, Microchip said:

Was he trying to pass the buck early?

I did get the distinct impression with Ragnorok he was just along for the ride, "just direct the actors, we've got the rest of the movie", sort of scenario.

It would be reasonable to assume he wasn't in charge of selecting, and hiring the dozens of CGI studios involved in love and thunder.   That would have squarely sat elsewhere.

I'm not sure if it was "passing the buck" or simply openly-admitting that he didn't care if the VFX looked good.

It seems like he definitely cared about Ragnarok, though.

It's always hard to pinpoint who is responsible, but in this case I would say it sits squarely on Waititi's shoulders. Feige seemed to have delegated all control to him for L&T. When reading stories about VFX guys working on Zack Snyder movies, for example, he would go to their studios and explain to them exactly what he wanted out of their sequences. If it wasn't right, he would work with them until it was. Other than Executive Producers, the Director has the final say on what makes it into the cut.

On 12/28/2022 at 10:48 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Always seems odds-heavy to develop a game-based movie franchise, as only a few manage to find mega success.

It may be game based but that game has a well developed lore (over 150 novels spanning 30 years) which exists as a standalone experience in itself. 

To characterize the Warhammer fanbase and how they experience the product, there are three groups fans fall within...

1. Those that consume the lore and novels.
  2. Those that paint miniatures.
  3. Those that play the game.

Of course, overlap occurs between these interests but the point is that the lore is so developed/baroque that there is a substantial fanbase that exists solely to consume and analyze the lore. Given this, and with Cavill at the helm, the hope is he will understand the prior art and fashion a product for TV which respects and builds on the existing universe in such a way that the core fanbase is pleased and new fans are captured. It won't be easy. 40k is bat-poop dark and depressing and there really are no true good guys. Cavill has a personal interest in The Emperor of Man and his Adeptus Custodes legions. IMO this would be one of the least interesting aspects of the universe to base a series on. There are many characters that would make for more compelling stories (Ibram Gaunt for instance, Basically Sharpes Rifles in space). Eisenhorn would probably be the easiest to adapt and my personal choice.

The problem with 40k will not be a dearth of lore but instead, drowning the audience from the firehose of lore that already exists. It will be a balancing act which would best be achieved by focusing on a single strong character and introducing the universe slowly and naturally, as that character's narrative plays out in the foreground.

I keep watching video's of Cavill, and Warhammer 40k.   Is Henry actually in possession of integrity?   The sole guy in the current Hollywood machine that can claim to even know the meaning of the word?

Youtuber's are the first to dive in on stars vices, but I keep seeing the opposite as they dissect the fortunes of Cavill in the last few years. 

image.png.837e8feebf1b31fd18b21728c4a25c8d.png

Games Workshop has broken its year-long silence on Henry Cavill's hotly anticipated Warhammer 40,000 Cinematic Universe for Amazon, insisting it's now full steam ahead.

A year after Amazon Studios announced it had secured the rights to Warhammer 40,000 and planned to start a “universe of Warhammer programming” that would be executive produced by and star Henry Cavill, Games Workshop has finally confirmed it had signed a “full agreement” contract with Amazon, “and the next stage can begin.”

Warhammer 40,000 is Games Workshop’s science fiction universe used as the setting for its hugely popular tabletop wargame starring the iconic Space Marines. It’s a grimdark universe in which humanity clings on to survival in the face of terrifying threats within and without the fascist Imperium.

While this is certainly exciting news for Warhammer 40,000 fans, they shouldn’t hold their breath for a first look. Games Workshop moved to manage expectations by saying it often takes a few years for any film or TV show to materialise after contracts are signed.

“TV and film production is a mammoth undertaking,” Games Workshop said. “It’s not unusual for projects to take two to three years from this point before something arrives on screen. Still, things are now properly rolling, and you can bet we’ll bring you all the latest updates and cool snippets as soon as we’re able.”

There are so many ways to screw this up and only a very narrow path to pull this off successfully IMO. Can't wait to find out something more definitive in regard to the direction they are taking.

Cavill's Warhammer 40k is on its way!

In an interview with Collider, The Witcher star gave a brief yet promising update, "Warhammer is progressing very well," he said. "Big things are happening, and we are very excited." Cavill himself serves as both star and executive producer for the movie adaptation of the iconic RPG.

For those new to the game, Warhammer 40,000 is a tabletop miniature wargame set in a dystopian science-fantasy universe. Created by Games Workshop, Warhammer 40k is known for its dark themes of war and suffering, but its extensive lot of backstories, characters, and general lore make it a perfect candidate for adaptation. In fact, there have been several attempts at bringing the game to the mainstream media, from animated films to series, but none have reached the level of success the game has seen. That is, until Cavill set his sights on it.