• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake Pokemon 1st Ed. Stamp or SUPER Rare Base Set Non-Holo? Red Cheeks Pikachu THIN Stamp...
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello CGC,

I need your help! I have a Pokemon base set 1st edition Pikachu 58/102 (red cheeks variant) that I plan to submit to CGC for grading (pictures attached). When looking over the card I noticed it has a thin 1st edition stamp (thinner #1 with thicker "Edition" text). To my knowledge, thin stamps were only ever printed on holos, and the common belief in the collecting community is that there is no such thing as a thin stamp non-holo, only thick stamp. There are a few places I have read online that claim there may exist a few examples out there of thin stamp non-holos, and some say it was from a test run, but others claim they are all just fake (and I have not seen any examples that are graded, only raw). This means one of two things, the card I have has a fake 1st edition stamp, or is one of the few non-holos from base set to ever get a thin stamp. I realize CGC does not designate between think/thick stamps and you cannot say anything about the legitimacy of the stamp via pictures, so I instead have 2 related questions.

1 - Has the CGC team ever verified (or is aware of) any non-holos from base set with a thin stamp? 

2 - If I submit this card for grading and the stamp is verified as legitimate, would CGC be able to put a special designation on the label, for example "Error" with the explanation of "Thin Stamp" on the back of the label? If this stamp is indeed legit and super rare then I really would love for it to be designated somehow on the label!

Note: In the pictures the stamp is compared to a regular (thick stamp) Pikachu, as well as a thin stamp holo (which also looks slightly different and almost smudged a bit, but that is how they all look on my thin stamp holos, so perhaps the Pikachu stamp is fake, or thin stamps appear more crisp when applied to a non-holo...?).

Thanks for your help!

- Matt (Pokemon Mattster)

20221216_113401.jpg

20221216_113413.jpg

20221216_113452.jpg

20221216_113842.jpg

• Administrator

Hello again,

After reviewing this with our graders, we would not designate this error at this time. I am sorry for this inconvenience. If this was submitted and was authentic, it would be returned as is. We appreciate you for understanding.