• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super Disgusted with latest CGC Returns...................
3 3

48 posts in this topic

As the title says I am super disgusted with the latest returns I got. I submitted several issues that were bought pre-bagged and boarded and never read for collecting purposes back in the day and they all came back as 8.5 to 9.0. Issues include Amazing Spiderman # 375, Fantastic 4 # 265, 2 copies of Unlimited Spiderman # 1 and Legends of the Darkclaw # 1. I am trying to wrap my head around how these comics can come back with those lower grades when you can clearly see they are in near perfect condition in their cgc case. Whats worse is when you scan the code it shows issues with the comics I cannot see what so ever. I am now stuck with a butt load of comics that I will barely get my money back on from paying for grading when trying to re-sell them. What sucks is I bought and collected these comics when I was a kid as a future investment for retirement and now CGC is runing my retirement plans with their crappy grading. I may give them one more chance but if it is strike 3 on those returns they will never get my business again.

On 12/17/2022 at 3:54 PM, WillowManson said:

As the title says I am super disgusted with the latest returns I got. I submitted several issues that were bought pre-bagged and boarded and never read for collecting purposes back in the day and they all came back as 8.5 to 9.0. Issues include Amazing Spiderman # 375, Fantastic 4 # 265, 2 copies of Unlimited Spiderman # 1 and Legends of the Darkclaw # 1. I am trying to wrap my head around how these comics can come back with those lower grades when you can clearly see they are in near perfect condition in their cgc case. Whats worse is when you scan the code it shows issues with the comics I cannot see what so ever. I am now stuck with a butt load of comics that I will barely get my money back on from paying for grading when trying to re-sell them. What sucks is I bought and collected these comics when I was a kid as a future investment for retirement and now CGC is runing my retirement plans with their crappy grading. I may give them one more chance but if it is strike 3 on those returns they will never get my business again.

lollollollollollollollol
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

On 12/17/2022 at 1:54 PM, WillowManson said:

What sucks is I bought and collected these comics when I was a kid

On a positive note, assuming that the OP was a 10 year old "kid" in 1993 (the year ASM #375 and Spider-Man Unlimited #1 were published), he/she still has another 25 years:whatthe: ) to add to his retirement accounts before he/she reaches the ripe old age of 65!  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

On 12/17/2022 at 3:54 PM, WillowManson said:

CGC is runing my retirement plans with their crappy grading

CGC grading obviously was not a part of the original retirement plan in 1993.  Shouldn't have strayed from the original plan.  That was the first mistake.  Other than that, it sounds like a pretty solid plan.    

On 12/18/2022 at 1:44 PM, Tony S said:

95% people are unhappy with the grades they receive on their first few submissions. I remember my first submission - 30 books - like it was yesterday. I too was crushed to see all these books I thought were NM (9.4) or better graded anywhere from 8.5 to 9.6.  I had bought and sold collectible comic books for twenty years at that point. I was sure I knew how to grade.  Steve Borock talked to me on the phone and was very patient. But then and for another couple of submissions I just could not tell the difference between different grades of 8.5 and above.  So we all feel your pain :foryou:

The short version is that 8.0 and above (maybe 7.5 and above) are high grade books. I could recognize "high grade" but I was not tuned into the tiny defects that separate high grade from Near mint and better.  In addition, buying books already bagged and boarded (I assume from a comic book store) when they were new is no assurance of 9.4 or better grades. They were not all perfect when printed and shipping and handling between printers and you degraded them further. 

As for not being able to see the defects that are listed.  This is just one of the realities of encapsulated books.  The graders looked at the books in hand under excellent lighting. You are now looking at the book through two layers of plastic and one of those layers - the outer holder - is quite thick. As a result, small non color breaking defects can be difficult to near impossible to see while encapsulated. If you remove the books from the slab (look on YouTube for how to do it safely)  you should be able to see the defects identified. The graders can be really, really strict, but they are not making things up.

So if you want to continue getting books graded and encapsulated hit reset as someone else suggested and start thinking "I have a lot to learn" rather than CGC is doing it all wrong. 

Well said.

I once submitted a book that had signatures on it that I didn't see because I was so focused on the spine and the corners and the overall grade of the book. Received it back qualified and was embarassed to see the signatures. And 2 other people looked at it and also did not see the signatures!  They we very obvious and reasonably large signatures too. :facepalm: