• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super Disgusted with latest CGC Returns...................
3 3

48 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2022 at 11:44 PM, Gaard said:

<--- First submission was 4 silver. Nothing over 6.5. First thought - "Looks like this is going to be a little harder than I thought."

My first sub

1) ASM 17 CGC 9.2

2) Batman 155 CGC 9.0

3) FF 25 CGC 9.2

I hope you don't get too discouraged with your first experience.  You could also check out the Overstreet's Guide to Grading comics --- although I don't find the pictures super helpful, the descriptions probably aren't too far off from CGC's internal grading criteria. 

There's always a little bit of a surprise factor when you finally see those grades.  After 200+ submissions with a 50% batting average of grades coming back as I predicted or higher, I thought I had a beauty "in the bag, baby!"   It was a really nice ASM #40 that I had purchased raw for $475 --- I thought I was stealing the book, and would easily get a 9.0, 9.2 most likely, remote possibility of 9.4.    Spine was flawless...corners reasonably sharp for a 55 year old book...nice cover edges F and B...staples tight,  not totally "shiny new" but still a nice pewter...no cover dings or dents, no cover wear...yeah the PQ wasn't the best, I knew I wouldn't get white or probably even OW/W, but I was soooo certain this was a KILLER.   Came back an 8.5 (sob).  Grader notes were typically terse, said "minor foxing back cover."  And dang it, sure enough, there they were, little light brown spots.  And referencing Overstreet grading, foxing caps a book no matter what the rest of it looks like.  I just hadn't been used to looking for that as I had rarely submitted books where that could conceivably be a problem.

Moral to the story --- they are trained professional graders...do they bat 1.000, no (I've sometimes been appalled at some slabbed books I bought on EBAY, studied pics intently, and when receiving book in hand, even under two layers of plastic, OMG the spine ticks on a 9.8!).......but they're better than most of us and do they do their work under what is basically laboratory conditions.

Hang in there bud!  And just remember if you buy a comic book for a few bucks thinking this is going to enable you to put your kid through college...always remember there are 50,000 other people that are thinking exactly the same thing.

(After typing all this, I wonder if that is troll spoor I smell under yon bridge... ;-)   )

Edited by Jaws1965

On 12/20/2022 at 9:43 PM, greggy said:

My first sub

1) ASM 17 CGC 9.2

2) Batman 155 CGC 9.0

3) FF 25 CGC 9.2

Nice!

My first submission was only 1 book, the 9.6 Dell Giant #48 in my signature. The 9.6w Showcase 60 in my sig was in my 2nd submission which also included Marvel Premiere 15 9.6w and a Marvel Super-Heroes #1 (1966) 9.4.

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/18/2022 at 4:40 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I didn’t even inspect the back covers of my first submission.  I remember getting that  6.5 ASM 181 back like it was yesterday....:tonofbricks:

THIS. I sent in my first ASM 300 back in 2012. I had  bought of the rack in 89 and stored in a fancy marvel collectors Mylar for years.

Came back a 7.0.  Turn out the “marvel collectors Mylar” scraped the hell out of the back cover, which I didn’t even glance at before submitting.

On 12/21/2022 at 12:35 PM, kimik said:

You said they would be 9.4-9.6.......

Nah, they were reserved for some highlights later in my life

FF 48 and 49, 9.6s, MS 5 9.6, Marvel Feature 1 9.8, WWBN 1 9.8, ASM 101 9.8

On 12/17/2022 at 1:54 PM, WillowManson said:

What sucks is I bought and collected these comics when I was a kid as a future investment for retirement

Well that was your first mistake.

On 12/17/2022 at 1:54 PM, WillowManson said:

Issues include Amazing Spiderman # 375, Fantastic 4 # 265, 2 copies of Unlimited Spiderman # 1 and Legends of the Darkclaw # 1

And that was your second mistake.  You should probably do a little research before submitting books.  Most notably, determining what books are valuable enough to warrant grading.  (Hint: not dollar books that are overprinted and relatively worthless).