• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Qualified Label Value
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Usually buy books raw but am currently being tempted by a 4.0 Qualified Amazing Spider-man #5 (missing some of page 14) How much of an affect does the 'green label of death' have on a comics value? So let's say the FMV for 4.0 Universal is $1400, would $1000 be Green or even less?

On 12/19/2022 at 7:39 PM, ARyan_ said:

Usually buy books raw but am currently being tempted by a 4.0 Qualified Amazing Spider-man #5 (missing some of page 14) How much of an affect does the 'green label of death' have on a comics value? So let's say the FMV for 4.0 Universal is $1400, would $1000 be Green or even less?

Just checked gpa and $500 or less in today’s market seems correct. 

if it affects story quiiiiitee a bit less.  Because who is the person out there buying an old comic who can pay hundreds of dollars for a comic but wants one that doesn't present particularly well (4.0), and is also incomplete so it can't be enjoyed properly (if one wanted to)?  That being said, there's a lot of luck involved with sale of these kinds of comics in terms of market.  I would say don't buy it with any expectation of profiting or even breaking even upon resale.  If this is what you want (for whatever reason) at this price point, and this is the best you can do, then get it for yourself.  Otherwise pass.

On 12/19/2022 at 4:39 PM, ARyan_ said:

How much of an affect does the 'green label of death' have on a comics value?

You're asking the wrong question.  :sumo:  It's not the Green Label that affects the specimen's value but the reason for the Green Label.  :preach:  For example, I'd have no problem paying "full" CGC Universal (Blue Label) Grade 9.8 value for this gorgeous Savage Tales #1 with an unwitnessed Roy Thomas signature on the front cover:

Q98-4.thumb.jpg.bf8267be0052f20e8659c18b8864d6f5.jpg

However, I'd have a huge problem paying more than a small fraction of "full" condition grade value for any of the following specimens (each of which is incomplete and would appropriately be certified as a CGC Universal (Blue Label) Grade 0.5):

G1-1.thumb.jpg.306a13e48afec4205401d5eb100f89a0.jpg G1-2.thumb.jpg.2463e89e0ee7c54db15e633934fe6ce4.jpg G1-4.thumb.jpg.f5dbca1f8ec4cffb67ab8e77c31510b0.jpg

In my opinion, one should never purchase a Qualified Grade specimen if he/she is not well-informed enough to estimate that specimen's "equivalent" Universal Grade.  :preach:  If you provide scans of the specific ASM #5 in question, I'll help you with this step.  :foryou:

Thanks for the feedback all, much appreciated! This is a picture taken before submission of the noted defect but the graders notes states, "large piece missing from top right of page 14" can't be the same thing, can it?

received_461889486021888.jpeg

Edited by ARyan_

That defect alone I could easily live with. It's accidental and doesn't spoil the reading of the book. You're right though, it definitely does not fit the description of large piece missing top right page 14 so that makes me wary of that book! I like to know what I've got and if it's already slabbed when you buy it, you'll always have those doubts.

I agree with LGB above -- that's not a missing piece but a simple tear.  And it's not at the top right of leaf 14 (interior pages 27/28).  I'm looking for a scan of the encapsulated book (the entire slab, including the label).

On 12/20/2022 at 7:35 PM, zzutak said:

I agree with LGB above -- that's not a missing piece but a simple tear.  And it's not at the top right of leaf 14 (interior pages 27/28).  I'm looking for a scan of the encapsulated book (the entire slab, including the label).

That's the best I got 😊

Screenshot_20221220_194150_Gallery.jpg

Not ideal, but it's useful enough.  Now we know three things (with certainty) that we did not know before: (1) the book in question is a U.K edition; (2) the missing piece contains part of at least one story panel (and therefore affects a story); and (3) the missing piece is significant enough that CGC deemed this copy to be INCOMPLETE.  (thumbsu

On 12/20/2022 at 7:53 PM, zzutak said:

Not ideal, but it's useful enough.  Now we know three things (with certainty) that we did not know before: (1) the book in question is a U.K edition; (2) the missing piece contains part of at least one story panel (and therefore affects a story); and (3) the missing piece is significant enough that CGC deemed this copy to be INCOMPLETE.  (thumbsu

See the tear at what looks like the bottom staple, which (like LGB said) I could happily live with but a large piece from the top corner is a different ball game. I've heard stories of CGC making mistakes but this, I don't think so. Funnily enough I thought the graders notes would mention the tear pictured but it didn't? 

Unfortunately, I can't make out the Certification (Serial) Number (so I can't pull up the actual Grader Notes).  However, I can provide you with some Blue Label comparables.  In my opinion, the subject book would have an "equivalent" Universal Grade in the 0.5 PR to 1.0 FR range.   I'll let the rest of the gang take it from here.  Remember, it's better to be safe than sorry!  :foryou:

I-05c1.thumb.jpg.7eee64b3d9c94b57a73643712f35f112.jpg I-05c2.thumb.jpg.bdd2dd59d14b1e4861b4ef86af5b0ffc.jpg I-05c3.thumb.jpg.ddd6fea00d76ec5fc89682095fdf3ab3.jpg I-10c4.thumb.jpg.aaef421219740895284023a88a4a3506.jpg I-10c5.thumb.jpg.cb02d8af4a9f673d8ad5e81d53eda188.jpg I-10c6.thumb.jpg.ce7de3529f894263abdd0e99189b637c.jpg

I'm still a noob but my take is that a restored book (color touch, no trimming) should get about 50% of FMV at most. Qualified where something is missing instead of being added to the book, should get at most a third of the non-qualified FMV.   I will pay much more if it's qualified because of a signature and there's nothing wrong with the book other than that CGC didn't exist at the time.