• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Buying on Whatnot?
3 3

33 posts in this topic

This platform wasn’t around last time I was in the hobby. Been in a few streams grabbed a modern variant pack to see how it all worked. Was a pretty good transaction but it is hard to see the quality of books through the stream and phone screen. 

I’m wondering what others experiences have been? I’ve seen some streams that are just fire sales of modern variants with some aggressive pricing but a few cool sellers who make good conversation - give honest assessment/grading close up looks and are selling from their personal collection. 

I do like the interactive part of it but the sudden death auctions make it hard to think things over imho 

On 12/20/2022 at 2:05 PM, Tnexus said:

Buying on FOMO is what Whatnot capitalizes on. I'd avoid.

Yeah seems like it - I was hoping to find some cool sales of ppls personal collection books or a bunch of digging through their long boxes but that’s not been my experience. 

On 12/20/2022 at 2:12 PM, JoeBrrr said:

Yeah seems like it - I was hoping to find some cool sales of ppls personal collection books or a bunch of digging through their long boxes but that’s not been my experience. 

From what I've seen, people who sell on whatnot aren't your small personal collectors.

On 12/20/2022 at 5:15 PM, Tnexus said:

From what I've seen, people who sell on whatnot aren't your small personal collectors.

Right. Whatnot is FOMO /hype flippers from what I've  heard. I've never used it myself but I've seen a lot of guys on IG and YouTube complaining about various whatnot controversies related to influencers and manufactured FOMO. Definitely doesn't seem like a place where old school collectors are offering up their PC's.

I’ve bought a bit on it. It’s a hit and a miss a lot of the times. I’ve gotten a few nice books but have eased off it and went back to eBay and LCS. It’s nice to connect with some good sellers who show the good stuff or describe the books fairly well, but there a lot of resellers and flippers. There are a few who sell from their personal collection but not many. 

most of it is for flippers and big sellers for moderns. I personally also try to buy graded stuff so the guess work is gone and I know what I’m getting. 

cards on whatnot are the worst though been scammed a few times too. 

On 12/20/2022 at 11:44 PM, lizards2 said:

what?

that :gossip:

On 12/20/2022 at 10:06 PM, toro said:

Usually over priced and over hyped.  I watched some guy bid against himself to get more copies of new garbage.  He bought them blind for $250 and he was happy.  :screwy:

This is what I’ve seen not that high of a number but it’ll be 50 mystery packs that are just combinations of the same handful of variants. Also ive seen descriptions where it says 9.4 or better - when that was not at all what I received. 

On 12/20/2022 at 5:15 PM, Tnexus said:

There are some but they have to try to fit in shows around more popular sellers' schedules. You tubers and bigger IG followings get preferred treatment on the app.  Including paid contracts.

Anyway, If you're looking for specific books, look elsewhere. There is no search function.  If you care about condition, look elsewhere. They just hold up the book in front of a phone for a sec.

It's basically made for people who have some money to blow on total spoon and enjoy competing in live auctions by spending $7 on dollar bin books.

And despite the training sellers are required to go through, telling them to overhype their books... Savage Dragon and Archie comics are not "fire!!"

On 12/21/2022 at 8:14 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm never going to support that platform.

What's not to like? The privilege of watching hypebois FOMO the next acetate variant trashbook to the moon, all while taking the seller's word on condition as they wave it in front of a cellphone cam. It's the worst of all worlds. 

Business plan: fleece newbs with drek, rinse, repeat.