• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Buying on Whatnot?
3 3

33 posts in this topic

I've gotten a few good deals - best was a "What if Venom Possessed Deadpool" that I got for $15 because people either weren't paying attention or it didn't really fit in with the rest of what the seller was selling; they threw it up randomly during what was touted as an X-men Stream. In general, I just go on there sometimes if I'm bored or to try to win some giveaways - I won a Sinnot signed Fantastic Four on there as well. Overall I see a lot of stuff that goes for too high of prices compared to other venues, or a I see a lot of flavor of the month variants.

@Superworldhas weekly shows on whatnot via their name Shrinky’s.  They sell basically only low grade silver and bronze.  Only seller I follow.  You can get great reader copies for fairly cheap.  I love filling up my spinner rack with issues of silver and bronze books for not a lot of money.  Plus, I enjoy the banter during the sales, so that’s a bonus.

Edited by DocHoppus182
Grammar

I am now torn on the format now.

On one hand I refuse to support influencers on that forum. If they mention an influencer, broadcast from a show,
advertise mystery boxes, giveaways, or wont give a grade I am out. I hate their format for looking at your winning auctions
and the nightmare of contacting sellers if a problem occurs. 

I do support local shops, individual sellers that you can tell are selling their collections or are not trying to "influence"
the market. My local shop now sells a long box a week of books that cant sell in the shop so I like that part. 

I really hope Ebay starts this format up soon. I prefer much more accountability then what that format currently offers. 
I have gotten some wonderful deals from sellers and buyers who didnt know what they had or just dont market well
enough to have enough buyers yet.

Edited by fastballspecial

I’ve been buying on the app since earlier this spring and like EBay, online auctions, etc any purchases done online, the experience has been mixed like other platforms like EBay.

I’ve done well and picked up some great books at great prices.  There are repeat sellers that I’ve gone back to that make the What Not experience fun as well.  On the downside you get some sellers that will whine if they aren’t getting what they think the books are worth.  I’ve been in a couple of auctions where the seller shut down an auction because they felt the prices were too low.

I think the best thing is the community aspect of the app where you can become a regular and get to know the sellers.  More good than bad for sure, but probably not everyone’s cup of tea.

I have gotten some really good deals buying from new sellers. However, most of them don't last very long. I noticed certain categories like retro video games are full of resellers cycling inventory between one another and not collectors. Not sure how this is profitable for them.

Edited by daydoodle

On 12/27/2022 at 1:56 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Whatnot getting in on the foil action...

FF49A5AC-59E9-4FC9-B379-FDAA48B696A5.jpeg.41275de4117182a865943ae55c1fc4e0.jpeg

Exactly you can't publish and sell why nobody ever learns that lesson is ridiculous. 
Wizard tried the same thing. Currently they are producing variants and giving them to sellers
on their format to sell. Its just seems another poor business plan doomed to fail from that aspect.

On 12/27/2022 at 5:08 PM, fastballspecial said:

Exactly you can't publish and sell why nobody ever learns that lesson is ridiculous. 
Wizard tried the same thing. Currently they are producing variants and giving them to sellers
on their format to sell. Its just seems another poor business plan doomed to fail from that aspect.

It'll be interesting when they run out of the investors' money.

On 12/27/2022 at 5:51 PM, Sigur Ros said:

It'll be interesting when they run out of the investors' money.

People have been saying that for over a year now but they don't seem to be running out of money. I don't care for the platform. Way too many cheap books going for ridiculously high prices. Doesn't make sense.