• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost books
1 1

17 posts in this topic

A package containing 2 submissions was delivered to CGC 2 months ago. As of today, these books still have not been added to my tracking screen. I've called a few times about this and kept getting different excuses. Last week I got an email from CGCs receiving dept. saying 4 books were missing from my submission. The 4 books missing were smack in the middle of my submission, so I find it hard to believe. I've also submitted many many many times, and this has never happened. I would have also come across the 'missing' books around here at some point in the 2 months the package has been sitting at CGC since it was delivered to them. Has anyone had experience with this? I was told they open boxes on camera. Has anyone who has had books lost by CGC been able to view those videos?

Edited by QueensComics
Add info / context

On 12/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, joeypost said:

I have had books go missing for as long as a year. So far they have all been accounted for. Was I happy at the time? No. But out of the generosity of their heart, CGC expedited the grading when they found the books. 

Did the packages go missing? Or did books go missing from an opened package? 

I've never heard of a partial submission going missing/being lost. The closest thing that I can think of is that guy from a few months ago who had 1 of his books (from a submission of 5 books) replaced with a different copy.

On 12/27/2022 at 4:03 PM, joeypost said:

Both. Two times it was a box that went unaccounted for, the last time was books that were entered into the system.

When they claimed the books were missing from the submission, were you able to get video of them opening the box? How did they explain finding the missing books they claimed you never sent? Appreciate this info!

The only thing you can do is hope someone at CGC does their job and logs finding some books that were not properly entered into their system and them matches them to your submission that is missing. They will not do anything else because you don't have the power to force them to and they can get away with ignoring you when they choose. You will receive no compensation for missing books unless you are someone important or the books are valuable enough to cause a PR issue.

good luck.

On 12/28/2022 at 4:36 AM, DougC said:

The only thing you can do is hope someone at CGC does their job and logs finding some books that were not properly entered into their system and them matches them to your submission that is missing. They will not do anything else because you don't have the power to force them to and they can get away with ignoring you when they choose. You will receive no compensation for missing books unless you are someone important or the books are valuable enough to cause a PR issue.

good luck.

I knew where my missing books were before the people who were supposed to be looking for them did. 

The status on them changed and when I called about it to make sure it was correct they said it was. When I emailed the people who were looking for them they were just as surprised as I was.

Edited by joeypost

I have had a few submissions take a long time getting logged into my "dashboard"  and all were submissions that had LONG turnaround times (say regular economy or magazines)  IF when you enter the shipping tracking number(s) on the page to check and see if CGC has scanned in the box(es) you can be a lot more relaxed about it.  If it shows the boxes have received then at least you know CGC has received the packages, just not opened them.  If this is the situation then be specific when you call customer service and say "your in house tracking shows the packages delivered but not yet opened and entered into the workflow management system. Can you expedite this?"

IF your carrier shows the packages delivered but CGC doesn't show the packages received that's a more serious problem and urgent problem  You probably should have already told CGC to find the packages or start an insurance claim.  The carrier you used is NOT going to want to pay any insurance claim for a package they show delivered and signed for.  Carriers also have deadlines for insurance claims and two months might be too long for some carriers.  So it's on CGC to pay any insurance claim. 

As for missing books in a shipment. I've only had it happen ONCE that a book went REALLY missing in a shipment.  More times that I want to admit to that I have made a mistake on the submission form and either sent a book not listed or left off a book that was listed. Receiving has always been great about contacting me making me aware of the mistake and that they have corrected it. 

The ONE time that a book actually went missing (it was in the box and on the submission form but CGC said it was missing) was kinda weird.  First receiving didn't email as they always had done and say "Star Wars 3" was missing. When I noticed it missing on my dashboard I called customer service who was no help. They said receiving didn't always send such emails and the book must have been left out.  It was a client's book and I told him about it and  bought him an already graded replacement copy. Rest of the books were graded and shipped as normal under whatever the TAT's were then. 

About two months later the "lost" Star Wars 3 popped up on my dashboard as a single book.  Graded and shipped a week later. So apparently someone at CGC found the book somewhere and sent it on through.  So the book wasn't left out by me nor lost by CGC. Just misplaced. BTW, the replacement copy I purchased was graded higher than his original, but he elected to get his own book back. Sentimental attachment. 

Edited by Tony S

Update: last week after calling CGC they decided to push through the books they had, and would process the four books they claimed were missing if the were found. They also said they would review video once the person with access is available.

On Tuesday the four missing books were added under a new submission number, and I was charged separate shipping & handling.

Yesterday I called CGC to talk about the charges that I didn't feel were justified and the customer service rep wouldn't talk to me because the account is under my wifes name, despite my name and email address being all over the account notes. I then asked to be transferred to billing since my credit card was charged and she just flat out said 'no' and ultimately hung up on me.

I was obviously furious over this treatment considering the stress the lost books caused in the first place, and on the second attempt at calling in, got a much more reasonable and personable customer service rep who was able to help.

As for the 4 books that were lost and found, I I'll be looking them over very very closely...

On 1/5/2023 at 11:12 AM, QueensComics said:

Update: last week after calling CGC they decided to push through the books they had, and would process the four books they claimed were missing if the were found. They also said they would review video once the person with access is available.

On Tuesday the four missing books were added under a new submission number, and I was charged separate shipping & handling.

Yesterday I called CGC to talk about the charges that I didn't feel were justified and the customer service rep wouldn't talk to me because the account is under my wifes name, despite my name and email address being all over the account notes. I then asked to be transferred to billing since my credit card was charged and she just flat out said 'no' and ultimately hung up on me.

I was obviously furious over this treatment considering the stress the lost books caused in the first place, and on the second attempt at calling in, got a much more reasonable and personable customer service rep who was able to help.

As for the 4 books that were lost and found, I I'll be looking them over very very closely...

Wow. There's so much in this post that tells me my opinion of CGC is correct.

On 1/5/2023 at 11:12 AM, QueensComics said:

Happy for you they were found. Let’s see how they at least honor the original paperwork’s pricing and shipping fees due to their mix up.