• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boxes Mutilated in the Mail
2 2

41 posts in this topic

I contacted a Boardie this morning to check if his books arrived from my last sales thread. He sent me these pics. Looks like someone hit them with an ax. How in the heck does stuff like this happen.

Luckily :wishluck: the stacks of books were not damaged.

box damage 4.jpg

box damage.jpeg

Tis the season for angry shipping employees to take frustrations out on packages. I received a box that looked like it had been run over several times - thankfully there was only a hat in it, so it absorbed whatever damage it would have gotten.

you-are-dead-boxing.gif

A long time ago I spent the summer unloading trucks for a small shipping company. You don't want to know how we treated those packages :eek:. I will say that I got really good a "frisbeeing" packages off two walls and landing them in the exact city pile I needed to.

On 12/21/2022 at 4:40 PM, Tnexus said:

25,000,000 packages go through the post office each day. If you're not packing with that in mind, frankly that's on you.

Also, if you're sending something media mail, the literal cheapest way to send something, do not expect 1st class service.

Beware the media mail!

IMG_0081.jpg.5f93be003e42de4463b93590b55fb8fe.jpg

On 12/21/2022 at 5:56 PM, JollyComics said:

Many comic book dealers still use them today.

This was 2014 I believe (even though it looks like 2019 on the envelope).  Strange, the post master at that time had a real hard-on for media. Never had a problem since.

On 12/21/2022 at 4:58 PM, universal soldier said:

This was 2014 I believe (even though it looks like 2019 on the envelope).  Strange, the post master at that time had a real hard-on for media. Never had a problem since.

That surprises me too.    I rarely used Media Mail but they caught me three times!!!

On 12/21/2022 at 1:05 PM, DR.X said:

I contacted a Boardie this morning to check if his books arrived from my last sales thread. He sent me these pics. Looks like someone hit them with an ax. How in the heck does stuff like this happen.

Luckily :wishluck: the stacks of books were not damaged.

box damage 4.jpg

box damage.jpeg

I am confident in your packing skill. No questions about it.

Only once did I receive a package that looked as if someone had put their football boot into the corner of it and sent it on a complimentary aerial adventure.  A stack of U.K. newsstand-distributed comics which sadly had a lot of corner impaction damage on them, including some nice early Swamp Thing issues by Alan Moore, 20 up.  No sturdy protection from the vendor, worst case result.

Early 1980s, and again, as said by other boardies, on a similar-sounding chilly, pre-Christmas December morning.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 12/21/2022 at 8:29 PM, eastriver400 said:

What happens? Do they return the package?

All of them are returned with similar explaination - we have to open the package for the inspection. Under the article # (I don't recall the number), you have violated the rule, the comic books are not qualified for Media Mail and please pay this amount (the total bill was varied in depending of the location) at the local post office. You will pay the new shipping charge before the package will be shipped.  I think one of them that went to Oregon so I had to pay about $8.50 additional shipping charge.  Never again with Media Mail.

One time, I picked it up at the post office and was asked to pay $4 extra for using the Media Mail. I was not the sender but I had to pay the extra money so I contacted the sender to cover my expense. He agreed to do it.

On 12/22/2022 at 11:39 AM, JollyComics said:

All of them are returned with similar explaination - we have to open the package for the inspection. Under the article # (I don't recall the number), you have violated the rule, the comic books are not qualified for Media Mail and please pay this amount (the total bill was varied in depending of the location) at the local post office. You will pay the new shipping charge before the package will be shipped.  I think one of them that went to Oregon so I had to pay about $8.50 additional shipping charge.  Never again with Media Mail.

One time, I picked it up at the post office and was asked to pay $4 extra for using the Media Mail. I was not the sender but I had to pay the extra money so I contacted the sender to cover my expense. He agreed to do it.

Any kind of book or magazine with advertising inside cannot ship media mail. Even eBay won't allow you to ship comics anymore using Media Mail.

Media Mail Service

Media Mail® service has special eligibility requirements for permissible contents. Media Mail rates are limited to the items listed below:

Media Mail Packages may not contain advertising except that books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings. In accordance

with standards in the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM 300) 173.3.2, Media Mail Packages are subject to inspection by the Postal Service™. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper rate and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage (DMM 604.8.1).

Edited by ak47po