• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boxes Mutilated in the Mail
2 2

41 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2022 at 3:56 PM, JollyComics said:

Many comic book dealers still use them today.

For cheap books, it's a crapshoot.  99% get thru unopened.

A hint that may help you break the rules-  Since I started using return labels that indicated I was a book shop, I have not had one opened. I've only mailed a few as I don't deal with cheap stuff.  It's a calculated risk. 

On 12/22/2022 at 12:46 PM, shadroch said:

For cheap books, it's a crapshoot.  99% get thru unopened.

A hint that may help you break the rules-  Since I started using return labels that indicated I was a book shop, I have not had one opened. I've only mailed a few as I don't deal with cheap stuff.  It's a calculated risk. 

I had one unusual request from Canadian buyer.  He asked me to remove all boards and put all bagged books in the envelope without the cardboards. He wanted to keep it under one pound (not exceed 15 oz) without any additional costs.  He didn't want the insurance even the clerk asked me.  I declined it as instructed.  He told me that was his risk if the books are damaged.  Three weeks later, 9 SA/BA DC War books (averaged FN 6.0) arrived safe.  He gave me a nice feedback.  $180 plus $12.60 First Class International postage. That was in 2012.  He bought my other war comic book bundle and gave me the same instruction. He paid me well but he stopped buying my books after USPS announced the price increased in early 2013.

The problem with media mail is the outdated rules for advertisements. If I ship a book from 1980 then by all means
it shouldnt be an issue with 99% of the ads being worthless. Now within say the past 10/15 years I get it no problem. 

That being said ebay is still allowing Media shipping. I get packages several times a week that are sent to me media. 

Now I have all of you beat. About 10 years ago or so I sold a set of Infinity Gauntlet. I got an email from the buyer they
got caught in a sorting machines at the post office and it cut a one inch deep mark thru 6 pieces of cardboard and 
6 books. Needless to say I refunded, but still to this day never forgot the pic he sent me.

On 12/22/2022 at 6:43 PM, fastballspecial said:

The problem with media mail is the outdated rules for advertisements. If I ship a book from 1980 then by all means
it shouldnt be an issue with 99% of the ads being worthless. Now within say the past 10/15 years I get it no problem.

This line of thinking has been hawked by others on these boards in the past, but the logic is flawed.  I understand that 99% number is hyperbole, but I still strongly disagree with that number.  (How many of you remember the "Got Milk" ads that littered every comic book for a whole decade in the 90s?  Is milk not a thing anymore?)

Still, it's really only a "problem" if you tend to not agree with the policy and are looking for loopholes around it.

None of us know the intent behind the actual USPS policy of no advertisements.  By stating that the rules are outdated and (as I read into this) that advertisements have "expired" for books older than 15 years, the assumption is made that the policy's intent is to ban the actual advertisements from the Media Mail rate.  What if the intent is to ban the media itself that contains the advertisements, and that having advertisements is just a metric in which they have utilized to identify such media?  Without knowing the intent of the policy, we are only left to follow the policy as stated... regardless of if we agree with it or not.

Now... the USPS website has been updated in recent years to specifically single out comic books as media that does not qualify.  I've provided both the link and screenshot below.  Based on that, I think the intent is a little more clear.
https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

image.thumb.png.578c2dc3246cafcb5346312615e6f64b.png

The other issue with this line of thinking is how to actually enforce a policy in which some advertisements are deemed unacceptable, but others (if they are old enough) are allowed to pass.  Think of the logistical nightmare from both the USPS' and shipper's perspectives.  For packages that are inspected, are you prepared for an increase in postage rates, as USPS workers need to spend more time carefully inspecting every single item in each parcel to verify the date of production on each?  As a shipper, how do you feel about every single comic you packed being opened up and "handled" to check if there are "expired" advertisements inside?  How do you think your buyer would feel about that?

At the end of the day, as all others have stated, just avoid shipping comics via Media Mail, and there is no actual issue.

On 12/23/2022 at 1:32 PM, masterlogan2000 said:

This line of thinking has been hawked by others on these boards in the past, but the logic is flawed.  I understand that 99% number is hyperbole, but I still strongly disagree with that number.  (How many of you remember the "Got Milk" ads that littered every comic book for a whole decade in the 90s?  Is milk not a thing anymore?)

Still, it's really only a "problem" if you tend to not agree with the policy and are looking for loopholes around it.

None of us know the intent behind the actual USPS policy of no advertisements.  By stating that the rules are outdated and (as I read into this) that advertisements have "expired" for books older than 15 years, the assumption is made that the policy's intent is to ban the actual advertisements from the Media Mail rate.  What if the intent is to ban the media itself that contains the advertisements, and that having advertisements is just a metric in which they have utilized to identify such media?  Without knowing the intent of the policy, we are only left to follow the policy as stated... regardless of if we agree with it or not.

Now... the USPS website has been updated in recent years to specifically single out comic books as media that does not qualify.  I've provided both the link and screenshot below.  Based on that, I think the intent is a little more clear.
https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

image.thumb.png.578c2dc3246cafcb5346312615e6f64b.png

The other issue with this line of thinking is how to actually enforce a policy in which some advertisements are deemed unacceptable, but others (if they are old enough) are allowed to pass.  Think of the logistical nightmare from both the USPS' and shipper's perspectives.  For packages that are inspected, are you prepared for an increase in postage rates, as USPS workers need to spend more time carefully inspecting every single item in each parcel to verify the date of production on each?  As a shipper, how do you feel about every single comic you packed being opened up and "handled" to check if there are "expired" advertisements inside?  How do you think your buyer would feel about that?

At the end of the day, as all others have stated, just avoid shipping comics via Media Mail, and there is no actual issue.

You care more about this then I ever will. 
Only thing I usually ship media is TPBs/HCs.
In fact that time you spent here shows me that clearly you care much more for this topic then I ever will.

As a buyer I get media shipments at least 5 to 10 times a month. Buyers don't care. Anybody dumb enough to ship an expensive comics media
deserves what they get. Occasionally I have to scold a seller because I paid a different rate and they shipped Media pocketing the extra money.
(Shipping Profiteering) If I am getting a media package I am really not concerned if they open it or not and if they charge me more all take it up
with the seller who usually doesn't advertise they are shipping media.  Hope that helps your perspective.

Again the majority of ads are worthless in older books. Framing an argument for Coke or Milk from 30 years ago is just reaching to prove a point instead of acknowledging the 1000s of ads that are worthless.  So Media mail rules are more clear now? Great !!  Sellers will keep sending it. This argument has been on this board for years. Its not going to change until the Post office uses resources to address the issue more vigorously which they won't they have bigger fish to fry. 

Don't bother continuing this discussion. I won't care enough to respond really I wont.

Edited by fastballspecial

I've seen this argument go on and on for years here.

It's always the same ...

person A says, "Using Media Mail is wrong and here's why..."

person B replies, "No. It's ok to use Media Mail, and here's why..."

I don't recall anyone ever saying, "Yeah, I know it's against the rules, but I don't care."

On 12/23/2022 at 3:00 PM, fastballspecial said:

Framing an argument for Coke or Milk from 30 years ago is just reaching to prove a point instead of acknowledging the 1000s of ads that are worthless.

I acknowledge that the majority of ads from 20+ years ago are for products or services that may no longer exist.  But, stating that the advertisements are worthless attempts to sidestep the fact that these are still advertisements, thus disqualifying comics from the Media Mail rate.

The danger here is that people can read these threads and use these types of arguments as justification to send out comics via Media Mail.  I'm simply pointing out the fallacy in such logic.

A week ago I watched my postal carrier try to actually fold a package in half to fit it in my mailbox. Inside that package was a high grade comic. When the horror of what I was witnessing dawned on me I rushed to get my shoes on and run outside to stop the madness. By the time I got to the end of my driveway the package was left, still intact, on the ground next to my mailbox and the carrier drove off on his way. His breadstick arms couldn't overcome the expert packing job by the shipper. @buckycap

Edited by Ryan.

On 12/24/2022 at 7:43 AM, Ryan. said:

A week ago I watched my postal carrier try to actually fold a package in half to fit it in my mailbox. Inside that package was a high grade comic. When the horror of what I was witnessing dawned on me I rushed to get my shoes on and run outside to stop the madness. By the time I got to the end of my driveway the package was left, still intact, on the ground next to my mailbox and the carrier drove off on his way. His breadstick arms couldn't overcome the expert packing job by the shipper.

You can't replace an incompetent postal carrier,  but a larger mailbox might be wise move.

On 12/24/2022 at 7:59 AM, Ryan. said:

Is @ak47po a notorious bare footer?

I was referring to you. I had to quote because your response hit the boards faster than mine.

"When the horror of what I was witnessing dawned on me I rushed to get my shoes on"

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 12/24/2022 at 6:54 AM, ak47po said:

You can't replace an incompetent postal carrier,  but a larger mailbox might be wise move.

Then you open up yourself as a target in the warm summer months, from packs of roving juvenile delinquents roaming the streets at night with M/80's looking to blow the hell out of said mail boxes. At least I've heard rumors to this effect.