• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Generation CGC Holders (2000-03)
1 1

114 posts in this topic

Hello!

This is ancient history but I’m curious what the community thinks about books in vintage CGC holders. Do you pass if you see one for sale? Do you think they are neat relics of the past? 

I got my first CGC book in 2006, since then I’ve only owned ten or eleven vintage holders. I only have three currently in my collection since the others arrived cracked after shipping, they are fragile after all.

I recall rumblings in the mid 2000s about CGC being more strict on page quality and grade in the early years, prompting discussions about cracking those vintage holders for upgrades. I also heard SCS was a problem in many of those holders.

I don’t see too manny of these holders on eBay or places like ComicLink anymore, I’m sure many have gone through the CPR treatment, especially the Golden Age pedigree examples. 

Curious on your thoughts, observations and experiences.

Edited by Brandon Shepherd

Yes, I don't seem to see too many of the old / original slabs for sale but I would not hesitate to buy a book if it was in one of the original slabs.  The grading may have been tighter in those days but even back then there were what seemed to be period of loose and tight grading. 

On 12/23/2022 at 6:29 AM, lostboys said:

I bought my ASM 239 in an old slab but when it was delivered it had a crack.

I really wanted to have an original slab in my collection but my OCD forced me to reholder it.

I’ve had a few of those myself. I wanted to keep the vintage label for historical purposes but the OCD…

On 12/23/2022 at 10:28 AM, Brandon Shepherd said:
On 12/23/2022 at 5:06 AM, lizards2 said:

I think of the 100s I've destroyed, and ponder "why there are any left?"

I thought of you as I was starting this thread. You have freed many a Silver over the years.

I remember getting an old slab out of Louisiana after Katrina - it looked like it had been through a hurricane - both the inner and outer well had putrefied.

Cracked it out and the book was ok - not sure it still had the original PQ, but certainly within the CGC "too-many-bong-hits" sliding scale of PQ.

On 12/23/2022 at 1:41 PM, greggy said:
On 12/23/2022 at 1:38 PM, lizards2 said:

Crack it out - it might be turning brown inside! :whatthe:

It's not stored in some humid southern US location

On the humid shores of Vancouver Island, instead.

On 12/23/2022 at 1:46 PM, greggy said:
On 12/23/2022 at 1:44 PM, lizards2 said:

On the humid shores of Vancouver Island, instead.

I don't live there so try again. 

OK - on the opposite shores.

On 12/22/2022 at 7:10 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

I’m curious what the community thinks about books in vintage CGC holders. 

I think they're way past the 7 years CGC used to recommend getting them reholdered with new microchamber paper.  Either because the microchamber paper would stop absorbing the acids, or because they wanted more money by putting the scare into people.

The reason is still unclear.

On 12/22/2022 at 6:10 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

Hello!

This is ancient history but I’m curious what the community thinks about books in vintage CGC holders. Do you pass if you see one for sale? Do you think they are neat relics of the past? 

I got my first CGC book in 2006, since then I’ve only owned ten or eleven vintage holders. I only have three currently in my collection since the others arrived cracked after shipping. They are fragile and prone to scratches and cracks after all.

I recall rumblings in the mid 2000s about CGC being more strict on page quality and grade in the early years, prompting discussions about cracking those vintage holders for upgrades. I also heard SCS was a problem in many of those holders.

I don’t see too manny of these holders on eBay or places like ComicLink anymore, I’m sure many have gone through the CPR treatment, especially the Golden Age pedigree examples. 

Curious on your thoughts, observations and experiences.

I will buy a book in the old holder, but they will get reholdered. The bonus is that grading was generally tighter back then, or so I’m told.