• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Generation CGC Holders (2000-03)
1 1

114 posts in this topic

On 12/25/2022 at 8:07 AM, namisgr said:

I just had a recent example of the quality of preservation in an original label CGC slab.  I bought the comic on the left, cracked it out, and made it part of my raw Marvel picture frame collection.  The differences in color are the result of the seller and I using different scanners plus optical effects of the slab.  I found that despite being encapsulated for 20 years (and imaged within a few years of being slabbed), the book still lay perfectly flat, had fresh interior paper (leaning toward white rather than the ow/w of the old slab designation), and cover paper and inks that were still bright, untoned, and rich.  It's only one example, and I'm sure that storage of other old label slabs has caused deterioration from storage under non-ideal conditions, but the good news is that books can survive at least 20 years inside a slab and retain great preservation essentially indistinguishable from shortly after being slabbed.

image.png.6279922ffb4daf23ec54f79e84f45f68.png     image.thumb.png.2a900d9e9a4fa604e53d95cbcaa003fd.png

That’s a beautiful book!

On 12/23/2022 at 7:31 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I think they're way past the 7 years CGC used to recommend getting them reholdered with new microchamber paper.  Either because the microchamber paper would stop absorbing the acids, or because they wanted more money by putting the scare into people.

The reason is still unclear.

I'd be thinking about a possible upgrade as well...  hm

On 12/23/2022 at 7:58 PM, newshane said:

I will buy a book in the old holder, but they will get reholdered. The bonus is that grading was generally tighter back then, or so I’m told.

My opinions:

1) for the most part back then CGC on 9.8's was less lenient on non-color breaking spine ticks.  

2) Most of the graders were seasoned and business was less than today so they had more time to look at a book. The more time you spend analyzing a comic the more you will find wrong with it.

Curious about opinion of others on 1999-2003 CGC grading.

P.S. As for me I'll gladly keep the old holders :)  My ideal slab however would be first gen front label with top strip encased as on modern + modern slab clarity + first gen absence of newton rings

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/27/2022 at 2:12 PM, MAR1979 said:

$10 each Raw from Motor City at a 1998 con. #2 is my only slabbed double cover.

1st_issue_special_1.thumb.jpg.28fd368b7397be06d8e344bb91d3f6fb.jpg1st_issue_special_2.thumb.jpg.87a1db479bad70a0079d4c742273533c.jpg

Lol I picked up a raw of the first green team in the $1 bins when I first got back into comics. I was learning and it looked in nice shape, and I was discovering cgc, and it had notations on the cgc label lol edit to say that I still have it, raw and in a box, saw it just the other day! Memories 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/27/2022 at 3:35 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol I picked up a raw of the first green team in the $1 bins when I first got back into comics. I was learning and it looked in nice shape, and I was discovering cgc, and it had notations on the cgc label lol edit to say that I still have it, raw and in a box, saw it just the other day! Memories 

Pretty sure I paid near double 1998 guide on it. Given how sharp both covers are it was a no-brainer.

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/27/2022 at 2:41 PM, MAR1979 said:

Pretty sure I paid near double 1998 guide on it. Given how sharp both covers are it was a no-brainer.

Testing those early instincts, it's only 7.5, not sure how much of that is due to my early keeping of it though 😆

Not a double Cover on mine either ha! :thisthreadisuselesswithoutpics:

IMG_20221227_144337335.jpg

IMG_20221227_144414954.jpg

On 12/23/2022 at 4:31 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I think they're way past the 7 years CGC used to recommend getting them reholdered with new microchamber paper.  Either because the microchamber paper would stop absorbing the acids, or because they wanted more money by putting the scare into people.

The reason is still unclear.

I thought it was all to do with the microchamber paper and didn't really have anything at all to do with the longevity of the exterior slab itself?  (shrug)

On 12/24/2022 at 5:42 PM, musicmeta said:

I have a bunch of the first old cases in my collection.  I guess I should send them in to be re-holdered but re-holdering is expensive so I've been putting it off.  Might be time to just go ahead and do it I suppose.

Never quite understood the rationale for this, especially when many boardies here have this opinion on the first generation slabs:  hm

On 12/24/2022 at 5:37 PM, southern cross said:

I like the old slabs as the books were more then likely not pressed as it was not the thing at the time.

If this is the generally accepted opinion with the first generation slabs, does this not meant that they should encourage higher bids upon resale?  (shrug)