• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Last time Submitting to CGC (better off selling books raw)
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I'm extremely upset with the round of comics I just got back from CGC grading. How these came back with the grades they got I haven't the slightest. They should put grader notes in every comic they grade to explain why it got the grade it did. Local comic book shop owner says the more money you spend with them, the higher the grade you get. I sure hope they arent grading based on that. Here's a perfect example... I sent in a Hulk #340 in MINT condition for the TM signing event (along with 4 other books). The price difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is extremely large and I actually lost money on getting this signed and graded. I now have a thousand dollars invested in this comic that maybe I can get 500 bucks for? I at least deserve an explanation for why it got this grade. Every single corner and detail looked like the photo below. Not one wrinkle in the book (thats the plastic sleeve showing it in the photo) No ticks or anything of the sort. I'm dumbfounded with the grades i got back for all of my books...

68599040148__83D1BA5D-D145-4385-8D3F-201AB059B1E9_Original.jpg

I think the OP is upset because his Hulk #340 was not certified as a CGC 9.9 MT after being signed by Todd McFarlane.  A tough break, for sure.  :cry:

On 12/26/2022 at 12:18 PM, Loren McDowell said:

The Hulk 340 I sent it was so mint it wasn’t even funny. I actually thought it was a contender for a 9.9. I paid 850 bucks for it on eBay.

IH340.png.cde6d3038bb5092a606a1638746a2dd2.png

If you’re buying raws off eBay expecting 9.9’s, (and you don’t already own at least 20 Cgc 9.9’s) then it’s probably best to step away from submitting.

good luck

On 12/29/2022 at 11:54 AM, Cor88b said:

Sounds like they overpaid 

Also sounds like they don't know how to grade or set realistic expectations.

I buy directly from some contacts who have warehouse stock when i'm trying to source 9.8 books (Bronze & Copper age stuff) - and even then nobody involved expects to get a 9.9 from UNCIRCULATED books that are basically perfect and handled by a comic selling pro who has been doing this for decades......how somebody could think they are buying 9.9 books OFF EBAY from a stranger takes some epic naivety.

Is it just me or have there been lot of similar posts like this the past few months. Not sure if the original post is true or troll but the best way to see is how much longer the poster stays around. My guess is we get a maximum of 1 more post then never again.

BTW: anyone who expects a "mint" book purchased raw off eBay, needs to closely analyze that logic. As some may know I'm a super strict very harsh grader and have sent hundreds of book I purchased raw when new from my LCS, I've never received a single 9.9 or 10.  Those grades are exceptions of the highest order.  Now perhaps if I crudely stapled an acetate on those books I could get them Mint grades?

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/29/2022 at 12:26 PM, MAR1979 said:

Is it just me or have there been lot of similar posts like this the past few months. Not sure if the original post is true or troll but the best way to see is how longer the poster stays around my guess is we get a maximum of 1 more post then never again.

BTW: anyone who expects a "mint" book purchased raw off eBay needs closely analyze that logic. As some may know I'm a super strict very harsh grader and have sent hundreds of book I purchased raw when new from my LCS, I've never received a single 9.9 or 10.  Those grades are exceptions of the highest order.  Now perhaps if I crudely stapled an acetate on those books I could get them Mint grades?

I think people just think its a lot easier to get a 9.8-9.9 than it really is so they look at a book, look at the price of it in a 9.8 and think its some sort of investment opportunity blindly.

The graders for the McFarlane signing were a total joke! I cracked open several books, had them pressed, came out nicer and still got 3 full grade drops! Never paying a premium for a signing again!  I have some near perfect looking books that outclass some of my 9.6/9.4s and they only got 8.0s to 9.0!  I have held and owned thousands of CGC books, so I am pretty sure I have a good handle on what approx grades books should get. 

To be clear, this was only for the McFarlane signing that I encountered this absolutely insane non sensical beyond tough grading.  I submitted a good amount of high dollar Standard/Express books and I was pretty happy with the results, I even got a super rare 9.6 back on an early S.A. Key I was surprised on, but for some reason it took an act of congress to get even close to that grade on near perfect 80s McFarlane Spidey/Hulk books!

Edited by TC33

On 12/26/2022 at 11:24 AM, Loren McDowell said:

I'm extremely upset with the round of comics I just got back from CGC grading. How these came back with the grades they got I haven't the slightest. They should put grader notes in every comic they grade to explain why it got the grade it did. Local comic book shop owner says the more money you spend with them, the higher the grade you get. I sure hope they arent grading based on that. Here's a perfect example... I sent in a Hulk #340 in MINT condition for the TM signing event (along with 4 other books). The price difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is extremely large and I actually lost money on getting this signed and graded. I now have a thousand dollars invested in this comic that maybe I can get 500 bucks for? I at least deserve an explanation for why it got this grade. Every single corner and detail looked like the photo below. Not one wrinkle in the book (thats the plastic sleeve showing it in the photo) No ticks or anything of the sort. I'm dumbfounded with the grades i got back for all of my books...

68599040148__83D1BA5D-D145-4385-8D3F-201AB059B1E9_Original.jpg

I am new to cgc grading, but are you able to get your comic prescreened as part of the SS private signing? If you can do this it would have given you some assurances of the grade to expect?