• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damaged slabs what do I do
1 1

13 posts in this topic

@JSPER, sorry this is your 1st CGC experience.  For minor slab damage, you could create a submission as a Mechanical Error (as Et Al mentions).  This would allow you to list and describe the issues with the damaged slabs.  Also, this would allow you to create a prepaid label with insurance that you could use with the CGC box and packing materials to return your slabs to be reholdered on CGC's dime.

I would suggest you contact CGC customer service at submissions@cgccomics.com, sending them some of the images you've posted here and asking them how to proceed.  Since some of your slabs are so compromised, I don't think you can send your comic books back in these slabs without risking damage to the comics.  I'll ping @CGC Mikeand see if has further guidance.

Did the shipping box show signs of damage?

Edited by Still Only 20¢
I proofread my post...

Contact customer service with pictures of the books and packaging!

These are not going to fall under "minor" damage for a reholder (the posts are broken on some) and will need a complete regrade which is going to affect the Harley book and Joker books that received the most damage. CGC is going to try and convince you that everything is fine and they will take care of you, do not believe them cause they will not, their #1 goal will be to get the books back so you stop sharing pictures.

Ask for more than just regrade/reholder (these books are going to take a grade hit), most defenders are going to say "accidents happen" which they do, but CGC has been responsible for more and more "accidents" as can be seen on the forums.

On your first submission ever?  What a terrible experience for the first time to receive your first new CGC copies.  Remember during the holidays that can damage many packages.   Avoid all holiday days at all cost.  That is my strong advice.  I wait to send my CGC copy back to CGC after Xmas for the new reholder.  DON'T forget to mark "ME" on your package before you ship.  The receivers will see "ME" marker on your package. It goes to the top priority over all non-marker packages.

Pray for the better reholders coming back.

I would say in general…

if you pay a company for their service, and they don’t meet your expectations for whatever reason, you should contact their customer service department ASAP.  

A lot of companies in my experience have email addresses and phone numbers for which you can contact them.  

you can tell them the problem you had, and try to resolve those issues with customer service employees of the company that you paid for a service 

This is sacrilege, and off-topic to a degree, but nevertheless: I crack all my comics out of the slabs. I buy plenty of CGC and CBCS graded books because I like the fact that they look at every page and check for writing, coupons or pin-ups cut out, missing pages, restoration, etc., but I like being able to actually look inside my comics. Damaged slabs are my favorite things to buy on ebay because I get a nice discount!

On 12/26/2022 at 9:07 PM, Richard Aliff said:

Mine came broken as well, I had to re-ship it back to get it fixed, thank god no grade hit. CGC says quality control before shipping. I wonder how does this happen. The box arrived perfectly with no issues but inside all cracks and chips. Goodness me.

Same with me the box looked fine I went from being happy and excited to sad and furious 

On 12/27/2022 at 8:47 AM, Mark Warren said:

This is sacrilege, and off-topic to a degree, but nevertheless: I crack all my comics out of the slabs. I buy plenty of CGC and CBCS graded books because I like the fact that they look at every page and check for writing, coupons or pin-ups cut out, missing pages, restoration, etc., but I like being able to actually look inside my comics. Damaged slabs are my favorite things to buy on ebay because I get a nice discount!

Or you could keep em slabbed and buy reader copies.