• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your 2023 collecting goals?
3 3

100 posts in this topic

1. Read at least 25 comics a week to make headway in my ridiculously out of control reading pile.

2. Make it to at least the halfway point in changing out all the bags (to Comic Pro Line) and boards (to E. Gerber half-backs) for the bulk of my collection.  (Common drek doesn't justify the price of mylar and full-backs.)

Comic-wise, I don't have much planned, aside from wanting to upgrade my Avengers 4. I also kinda have a hankering to get the first four TMNT books, but we'll see. It's not a must-do. I will hopefully pick away at my cheap drek registry sets (Grendel,Gen 13, JLI etc.) Oh, and I always need more Alien books! Otherwise, I tend to just take things as they come, whether I find something cool at a local shop, or I find some bargain on CLink or MCS.

Toy-wise, I'd like to get closer to finishing my G1 collection, which is going to be a years-long process, but I would like to get some nice pieces. I also like to get at least one nice big GI Joe piece at each Joe show in the year, so that's two this year. 

Right now I'm preparing to pay the 2022 tax bill, and then I need to finish paying off the HVAC system we had installed last year (long story, where we paid for it upfront, then had a charge back, now have to repay the difference...long, dumb story) and once those are taken care of, I can start putting a dent in those comic and toy collections! Grown-up stuff first, then fun stuff, but it shouldn't be too long!

Great question. Mine are a continuation of my completionist curse. I need about 6 issues to complete my Marvel Team Up run (all 9.2 or better). Maybe complete small batches like Champions run, 6 issues of Brave & the Bold to have 95 - 200, 5 issues of FF to have 160 - 300, 8 issues to complete the Invaders (some of the worst art of the 1970's... lol) . All in all, no "grails" at this juncture unless World's Finest 71 pops up. 

I think purchase wise I didn't actually hit any of my 2023 goals, though admittedly I have very few specific books I'm hunting for; the remaining full helmet Doctor Fate covers from early More Fun Comics (two left to find), Hourman covers from Adventure Comics (five more to go), or early Iron Man Tales of Suspense appearances that are recognized Pedigrees. I also once again did not manage to upgrade my House of Secrets #92 to a better copy (I have a 7.0 and would love to get it up to at least 8.0)

I did manage to find all the parts of a X-Men #1 which I wanted to try building and conserve all for less than the price of a CGC 0.5 copy (repair all the parts and leaf cast it into a more presentable low grade copy), however that is still being worked on by Jerry the Jitterbug so it won't come to fruition until yearly next year.

On 12/27/2022 at 2:40 PM, Buzzetta said:

2023 Top Ten Collecting Goals (Aside from getting rid of more smaller stuff)

Art

1. Page of Strange Adventures or other Sci-Fi art (All I see are Atomic Knights... and... not my thing)
  2. Another nice Spider-man page
  3. Another 80's Marvel Pop Culture Page (GI Joe, Transformers, Indiana Jones)
  4. Another piece of vintage Disney animation. 

Comics

1. Upgrade a ASM Copy
  2. Another WWII Golden Age Cover - Preferably a Walt Disney Comics and Stories issue
  3. Superman 24

Toys

1. Lego City Modular 
  2. Lego Marvel Modular (Looks like it is an annual thing now) 
  3. Finish off the Studio Series Dinobots as they are released,  (Still need Slag and Snarl and Swoop are supposedly being released this year.)

2023 Top Ten Collecting Goals Checklist

Art

1. Page of Strange Adventures or other Sci-Fi art (All I see are Atomic Knights... and... not my thing) DID NOT ACCOMPLISH 
  2. Another nice Spider-man page. DID NOT ACCOMPLISH
  3. Another 80's Marvel Pop Culture Page (GI Joe, Transformers, Indiana Jones) ACCOMPLISHED
  4. Another piece of vintage Disney animation. DID NOT ACCOMPLISH

Note: I did pick up a Bronze Age Curt Swan Superman page of Superman battling Luthor instead of the Strange Adventures Art or a Spider-man Page. 

Comics

1. Upgrade a ASM Copy ACCOMPLISHED
  2. Another WWII Golden Age Cover - Preferably a Walt Disney Comics and Stories issue SORT OF ACCOMPLISHED - Picked up several Disney Golden age books published during WWII
  3. Superman 24 DID NOT ACCOMPLISH

Toys

1. Lego City Modular ACCOMPLISHED
  2. Lego Marvel Modular (Looks like it is an annual thing now) ACCOMPLISHED (AVENGERS TOWER)
  3. Finish off the Studio Series Dinobots as they are released,  (Still need Slag and Snarl and Swoop are supposedly being released this year.) ACCOMPLISHED (RECEIVED SLAG, SNARL - SWOOP IS RELEASED IN 2024

Note: I did pick up a few duplicates or upgraded several original Star Wars figures especially some POTF Vintage. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 12/5/2023 at 9:52 PM, unclezebo said:

I think I did what I set out to do. Was thinking of a 9.2-6 X-men 129 but I couldn't pass up the one I bought.

And still a few weeks to go!

craw 2.jpg

20230130_153051.jpg

berk auc 1.jpg

berk auc 2.jpg

berk auc 3.jpg

20230815_171633.jpg

20230815_171648.jpg

I saw in looking back my response to you too lol

I had to pay up like $550 or more with tax all included way back when for my X-men #129!  :cry:

I knew you were going to make out like a bandit ^^

On 12/27/2022 at 9:37 AM, piper said:

hm

• A mid grade Avengers 1 (been saying this for at least three years 

lol)

• Vault of Horror 35
  • A cool early Timely

The truth is that I rarely stay on -script but always end up buying cool stuff.

Bring on 2023!

Well none of those happened! I did buy a mid grade Witchcraft 5.  Otherwise, it was a pretty slow year for the collection.  I think the steep decline in prices has actually been more of a deterrent than an incentive.

On 1/1/2023 at 1:05 PM, ExNihilo said:

My most realistic goal would be finally pulling the trigger on 2000+ mylite/fullbacks from eGerber and re-bagging my entire collection.  Maybe finalize organizing my collection which would include creating labels for dividers.

This might actually be the year I stop with monthly subscriptions as my interest has waned as there are fewer and fewer titles/events that I'm interested in.

Otherwise, continue the long-term/multi-year goal of saving up for AF15 and Jim Lee Hush OA.

I did finally buy the mylites/fullbacks and I've slowly bagged about 70% of books.  Organization-wise, it feels like everytime I sort a pile of books onto the shelves, a new pile emerges.

I have a somewhat complicated indexing system for my books, one of the steps being to catalog all my books and their location on my shelves in Excel.  The objective is to then print a table of contents and tape it to the front of a plastic dividers on each shelf to help identify what is on each shelf.  I've basically done this for my DC books, but Marvel makes up some 60% of my collection.

Which segues into my second goal which was to possibly limit or stop monthly subscriptions.  Yeah...that didn't happen, the number of monthly titles is about the same as what it was at the beginning of the year.  The thought of stopping though continues to grow while the space available for books continues to shrink.

On 1/7/2023 at 12:14 PM, southern cross said:

Bronze and silver minor keys I've never owned before. 

If I want something I usually don't find it or pay thru the nose.

If I'm mah! With a book I usually come across one pick it up like at a bargain or way lower then FMV.

2022 I came across a HOS 92 though I think Swamp thing is a cool character I'm not a avid fan and when one was offered to me at half FMV I pulled the trigger.

It's a different collecting mindset I have, yet it seems to get me cool books I'm not actively chasing for a song so it works for me.

So I picked up minor keys and high grade unread books.

Unread books

Screenshot_20231208-183845.thumb.png.a4ade197b5954a7bc324449868f4790c.png

Screenshot_20231208-183759.thumb.png.36a479bacd30a20768a8522846e7fd21.png

Screenshot_20231208-183813.thumb.png.1cdef8266afc0e0049ba39cfdaea9c88.png

The Doc Savage unread copies were dirt cheap, $15 each so I gave two copies away to board members on here for free.

Screenshot_20231208-183645.thumb.png.e0dad4633d424032d7bc56a1038f1cf1.png

I cherry picked this book unread from a collection of copies.

Screenshot_20231208-183905.thumb.png.6eabb433631dd9098a56690bf222fdde.png

Screenshot_20231208-183615.thumb.png.efa4ff6be6686e6eb5ee02f04725ee1d.png

I picked up another Lois for $30

And I picked this book up, just love the cover.

image.thumb.jpg.0a8434c997bc536550de708c335f84f2.jpg

Some wonder women's

image.thumb.jpg.2c7c3e759bc64db42730df4945be1831.jpgPXL_20231111_232056146.thumb.jpg.5eefd2a3fc2501d57d8ab3d9e86d95ef.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.0afd986aaf53af9b8eacec5322a66937.jpg

and Night Nurse

image.thumb.jpg.dfac7fbb4ace4fa1b7e47a4e15cdc887.jpg

And another ped for my TTA run

Screenshot_20230807-221521.thumb.png.081797823838955b40954aab70eb4ebc.png

Other books but these are the ones I remember.

Edited by southern cross
Typo

This year I was able to get a book I had been hunting for the past 8 years. Some had come up in that timeframe, usually for insane price tags, and I actually started to believe that my holy of holy grails would never be mine.

But I got lucky. Really really lucky

This year I obtained my Barry Windsor-Smith signed, CGC 9.8 Marvel Comics Presents #72, the first appearance of Weapon X

IMG_2918.jpg

On 12/8/2023 at 1:09 PM, ExNihilo said:

I did finally buy the mylites/fullbacks and I've slowly bagged about 70% of books.  Organization-wise, it feels like everytime I sort a pile of books onto the shelves, a new pile emerges.

I have a somewhat complicated indexing system for my books, one of the steps being to catalog all my books and their location on my shelves in Excel.  The objective is to then print a table of contents and tape it to the front of a plastic dividers on each shelf to help identify what is on each shelf.  I've basically done this for my DC books, but Marvel makes up some 60% of my collection.

Which segues into my second goal which was to possibly limit or stop monthly subscriptions.  Yeah...that didn't happen, the number of monthly titles is about the same as what it was at the beginning of the year.  The thought of stopping though continues to grow while the space available for books continues to shrink.

I'm in the rebag process and going to short boxes. It's a slog getting through it (currently on Marvel D) but worth it in the long run. At least I made the commitment to mylar in 2009 so anything purchased after that point is already there.  I cut back about 20% on moderns this past year. $4.99 is starting to be the norm so I think it's time to tap out on mostly everything.

On 12/30/2022 at 10:00 PM, Hamlet said:

I want to actually sell a meaningful number of books this year, to fund the purchase side of things.  I got the funding part correct last year, but only because an effortless sale of an expensive non-core book in my collection basically came up and bit me on the butt.  I need to actually ship a few boxes off to MCS this year.

I want to attend some conventions and buy some very cool books at reasonable prices, and some kinda cool books at dirt cheap prices.  Since my definition of cool is extremely broad, I’m sure I’ll find a few things to buy.

I failed on the selling side.

I did buy some books though :)