• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Age Comics based on real people

22 posts in this topic

I searched but didn't see a Silver Age thread featuring comics based on real people. There actually are quite a few, ranging from sports figures, people of the old west, comedians, both solo and comedy teams, not to mention historical figures such as past presidents and such. Let this be a place to share those Silver Age comics! I started a thread like this in the Golden Age section as well, for anyone who has older comics that fit this description.

I don't have any of the Atlas issues, but somewhere I've got a few of the Charlton issues of Wyatt Earp, Frontier Marshal.  Which, after the Atlas implosion, featured artists like Severin, and Maneely , and Williamson... all of whom worked on the Atlas/Marvel version of the book as well.

To be clear, this isn't a case of one publisher taking over the title from another... this is two publishers putting out separate, competing books based on the same historical figure at the same time, with creators jumping from one publisher to the other and back.

On 12/27/2022 at 1:14 PM, Kromak said:

Nice thread. Cool Wyatt Earps (that I didn't know existed). I assume they are mildly expensive, since they are from Atlas?

Thanks! Actually, random raw copies of mid-grade or below aren't very expensive at all. Trying to find them in nice shape, THAT'S the tough part! I'm working on a raw run of readable or better copies and a certified run with the goal being as high of a grade as I can find/afford. I seldom see them in the 9's. 

On 12/27/2022 at 4:53 PM, OtherEric said:

I don't have any of the Atlas issues, but somewhere I've got a few of the Charlton issues of Wyatt Earp, Frontier Marshal.  Which, after the Atlas implosion, featured artists like Severin, and Maneely , and Williamson... all of whom worked on the Atlas/Marvel version of the book as well.

To be clear, this isn't a case of one publisher taking over the title from another... this is two publishers putting out separate, competing books based on the same historical figure at the same time, with creators jumping from one publisher to the other and back.

There were 3 prominent publishers that put out a Wyatt Earp title: Atlas, Dell & Charlton. None connected to the others from what I know of it.

On 12/27/2022 at 3:42 PM, Frisco Larson said:

There were 3 prominent publishers that put out a Wyatt Earp title: Atlas, Dell & Charlton. None connected to the others from what I know of it.

Correct, as far as I know.  Dell had the TV show tie-in specifically.  I just find it interesting that the otherwise unconnected Marvel and Charlton titles had significant creator crossover.