• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Don Newton appreciation thread
1 1

2 posts in this topic

Don Newton is one of the most underrated Batman artists. Post your Don Newton art in this thread.

Don Newton is the artist who made me love Batman comics as a kid while reading Australian black & white reprints. I didn't realise he was the artist until I returned to comic collecting a few years ago. Neal Adam's was the artist I assumed was responsible for them. :bigsmile: He has a gorgeous, flowing style like Adam's. He died young which is probably why I didn't know about him. He is one of the few interior artists who in my opinion is better than some of the cover artists of the issues he did. Sorry Ed Hannigan fans. I've only just picked up a couple of his books so far from late in his career which is strictly speaking in the copper age, but he started and did much of this work in the Bronze age. He did the art on several Batman key issues. Below I've included his classic cover for Tec' 526 & an interior page from Batman 366 the 1st app of Jason Todd as Robin.

1505188104_DetectiveComics526.thumb.jpg.16c0a7778bcf9924f2d486fde2c0b3da.jpg

292361263_Batman366Pages.thumb.jpg.8e4817a91139063bd6bf43aa039d3563.jpg

Edited by MattrixAlien

If you haven't checked out his work on Charlton's Phantom comic, give it a try. I'm not a Phantom fan, but Newton's work on it was beautiful. His painted covers were crazy good. Di ck Giordano hired him to work for Charlton and then brought him to DC when he moved over there.

Edited by boomtown