• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Estimate Value a Detective Comics #45 SS 1.8 (Jerry Robinson Signature) and a Detective Comics #76 CGC 5.5 (Jerry Robinson and Joe Simon)
2 2

26 posts in this topic

Boardies,

I purchased this book raw from Heritage Auction back in 2005, got it signed by Jerry Robinson at NYCC in 2009.  This is the only CGC SS Tec #45 and it is the only one with a Jerry Robinson Signature, and will stay that way since he passed away.  This books is the 3rd appearance of the Joker and1st appearance of the Joker in a Detective Comics book.  So based upon its rarity and the only one in existence and will remain the only one, was wondering what you might estimate its value at.  Pictures below.

The Detective Comics #76 CGC SS 5.5 (Joe Simon and Jerry Robinson) is below the initial comments on the Tec # 45 CGC SS 1.8

Thanks for the input, and the assistance.

Respectfully,

Mike

TEC #45 CGC SS 1.8 (Jerry Robinson) (FC).jpg

TEC #45 CGC SS 1.8 (Jerry Robinson) (BC).jpg

TEC #45 CGC SS 1.8 (Jerry Robinson) (Notes).jpg

Edited by Mike22

It's not clear there is all that much of a premium attached to a Jerry Robinson signature (though you'd think there would be). Despite a couple blue label 5.0s selling for under 3K recently, there is probably a minimum of $1500 value for a complete copy without brittle pages, but with the sig I'd say $2000 minimum for yours, as it's the only copy with a sig. Hard to say really, it's the kind of book that could both surprise or disappoint in an auction setting. 

On 12/27/2022 at 9:22 PM, rjpb said:

It's not clear there is all that much of a premium attached to a Jerry Robinson signature (though you'd think there would be). Despite a couple blue label 5.0s selling for under 3K recently, there is probably a minimum of $1500 value for a complete copy without brittle pages, but with the sig I'd say $2000 minimum for yours, as it's the only copy with a sig. Hard to say really, it's the kind of book that could both surprise or disappoint in an auction setting. 

In some cases an autograph might hurt a book because many collectors would prefer one without an autograph, but I don't think this signature hurts it. It might help it a little. I think maybe  @rjpb is being just a little optimistic, though. A raw 1.5 sold for around $600 on ha.com around the end of 2020. $1,500 would probably be a good asking price, but I wouldn't turn down a $1,200 offer.

On 12/27/2022 at 7:27 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

In some cases an autograph might hurt a book because many collectors would prefer one without an autograph, but I don't think this signature hurts it. It might help it a little. I think maybe  @rjpb is being just a little optimistic, though. A raw 1.5 sold for around $600 on ha.com around the end of 2020. $1,500 would probably be a good asking price, but I wouldn't turn down a $1,200 offer.

That was a pretty weak raw 1.5 and GA Batman and Detective have jumped a bit in the last two years, more recently Ha sold a ratty looking CGC .5  (coupon clipped) for $1440, and CC sold another CGC .5 with a couple big chunks out of the cover and 2/3rd of a Batman story page missing for $778. A restored 4.0 with just a minor mount of glue did sell for somewhere under $2k on ebay recently, but I'm pretty confident a slabbed 1.8, even without a sig wouldn't have a lot of trouble getting $1500, so it's really just a matter of what the sig is worth to collectors. (shrug)

On 12/27/2022 at 6:22 PM, rjpb said:

Yeah unfortunately doesn’t seem like his signature commands that crazy of a premium, but I agree feels like it should. Awesome sig to say the least though, but not at the level of a Kane, Shuster, Siegel or Kirby to name a few mega sigs. Did Bill Finger ever sign anything? I’ve never seen his signature on a book. I feel like him and of course Ditko would be at an even higher level of potential premium. Well maybe just Ditko is in a league of his own.

On 12/28/2022 at 7:46 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't understand why anyone would pay a premium for any signature. To me, an autographed book is a ruined book. If you have to have an autograph, get it on the margin of a splash page so it doesn't ruin the cover art. But I digress . . ..

Normally I agree as I originally come from the rare book arena (I have never encountered a signature on the dust-jacket... always on the inside of the book).  But in the case of low-grade books, I don't think it's horrible to have a signature on the cover.  One can always obtain a second higher grade copy if one wishes, to admire the art.  Since slabbing began, comics have been treated like baseball cards (which have to be signed on the surface, of course).  Personally, I'd prefer they be treated as actual books... but that ship has sailed.

Estimate of value? Let us consider.

Ever heard of Batman without the Joker, without Robin(ROBINson), without the Penguin, Alfred, etc...Robinson is responsible for a major portion of the Batman storyline. He created many of the characters that made Batman.  He was with Kane since Year One.

Robinson was to Kane what Shuster was to Siegel.  Without one, would the other have been successful?

Jerry Robinson was nicknamed "the ambassador of comics" for a lifetime of contributions not just to a few titles, but to an entire industry.

How much is a "unique" CGC SS worth from one of the creative minds behind the behemoth that is Batman?

I have seen Robinson CGC SS personal collection books sell for multiples of the estimates listed in this thread. 

Slabbing comics make interior signatures far less appealing to buyers who want verified signatures. I don't have a problem with people signing covers, unless the placement, size or signature itself is ugly. I can understand why having a scarce (which obviously doesn't apply to moderns) higher grade copy signed would seem like "ruining" a book, but lower grade books seem like more ideal candidates, as they have plenty of imperfections already, and some more discreet (and legible) signatures look pretty cool on covers, even when they can't be verified by CGC.

On 12/27/2022 at 9:22 PM, rjpb said:

agreed.

Absolutely a premium for Robinson's sig.

On 12/28/2022 at 4:46 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't understand why anyone would pay a premium for any signature. To me, an autographed book is a ruined book. If you have to have an autograph, get it on the margin of a splash page so it doesn't ruin the cover art. But I digress . . ..

Niche market for everything 🤷‍♂️.

On 12/28/2022 at 10:28 AM, rjpb said:

I believe this is the only copy of Detective #45 signed by David Eberle as well.

By the flow of the signature, I'd be inclined to say that that was more likely David's mom rather than David himself...    Similar to Roz signing for Jack   lol

Edited by pemart1966

On 12/28/2022 at 10:07 AM, JLHOLDINGS said:

Estimate of value? Let us consider.

Ever heard of Batman without the Joker, without Robin(ROBINson), without the Penguin, Alfred, etc...Robinson is responsible for a major portion of the Batman storyline. He created many of the characters that made Batman.  He was with Kane since Year One.

Robinson was to Kane Bill Finger what Shuster was to Siegel.  Without one, would the other have been successful?

Jerry Robinson was nicknamed "the ambassador of comics" for a lifetime of contributions not just to a few titles, but to an entire industry.

How much is a "unique" CGC SS worth from one of the creative minds behind the behemoth that is Batman?

I have seen Robinson CGC SS personal collection books sell for multiples of the estimates listed in this thread. 

Fixed it for you. (Sorry, I'm not much of a Bob Kane fan.)