• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Estimate Value a Detective Comics #45 SS 1.8 (Jerry Robinson Signature) and a Detective Comics #76 CGC 5.5 (Jerry Robinson and Joe Simon)
2 2

26 posts in this topic

Thanks everybody for feedback, another book that I have this one Tec #76 signed by both Joe Simon and Jerry Robinson...Both who did work on the book...Let me know you thoughts.  Picture below: 

Detective Comics #76 CGC SS 5.5 (Jerry Robinson and Joe Simon)

TEC #76 CGC SS 5.5 (Jerry Robinson and Joe Simon) (FC).jpg

TEC #76 CGC SS 5.5 (Jerry Robinson and Joe Simon) (BC).jpg

TEC #76 CGC SS 5.5 (Jerry Robinson and Joe Simon) (Notes).jpg

A blue label 5.5 would probably sell for around $3K, maybe $3.5K ( though compared to other early Joker covers, I've felt this book to be slightly undervalued). A sale of a double signed GA Detective on Heritage by Robinson and Simon in 2020 indicated no premium for the signatures (which seems to be a pattern for a lot of GA Sig Series books, despite often high asking prices on ebay). The sigs are nicely placed and fairly discreet on your book, but I don't know that you could expect to realize any more than an unsigned copy would.

On 12/31/2022 at 11:22 AM, rjpb said:

A blue label 5.5 would probably sell for around $3K, maybe $3.5K ( though compared to other early Joker covers, I've felt this book to be slightly undervalued). A sale of a double signed GA Detective on Heritage by Robinson and Simon in 2020 indicated no premium for the signatures (which seems to be a pattern for a lot of GA Sig Series books, despite often high asking prices on ebay). The sigs are nicely placed and fairly discreet on your book, but I don't know that you could expect to realize any more than an unsigned copy would.

That's right. A SS wouldn't go for any difference in a 1.5. The Tec 76 would probably get a little more because of the Joe Simon signature. I believe a lot of GA collectors including myself have no desire for a signed book so that kind of balances it out to making very little difference. 

Happy New Year!  Prior to the pandemic at least, it was pretty routine (confirmed by GPA) that certified signatures commanded significant premiums for SA books, especially keys.  Whether or not that is different w/ GA (now or ever),  I don't know.  But I have some down time, so I'm going to refer to the actual (albeit very limited) Tec sales data around these two books, since there's either nada or just one data point for your books.  But it looks promising!  

No SS data for Tec45 in any grade (or for Tec40 to Tec44), and a Tec45 blue 2.0 sold for $1K in Aug 2020.  But a Tec46 in 1.0 SS (Robinson) sold for $3K in May 2019, which was higher than ANY grade had ever sold for (excluding the Promise book) up to and including 6.5 since early 2019, which sold for $2880 in January 2022.  That looks like a huge premium to me!  

Tec47 in 2.0 SS (Robinson) sold for $550 in Nov 2017, which was significantly more than the $217 and $219, and the $389, that blue 2.0 sold for in 2015 and 2018, respectively.  That suggests a significant premium. 

Tec48 in 1.5 SS (Robinson) sold for $850 in Jan 2014, when the only sales of a blue 1.8 (no 1.5 data) were $176 in 2013 and $425 in 2015, again suggesting a significant premium for the sig. 

Tec49 1.5 SS (Robinson) sold for $250 in May 2013, while a blue 1.5 "only" managed $556 in May 2021.  No other data btwn those years, but it also suggests the SS book would have gone for much more.  And a 3.5 SS (Robinson) sold for $611 in March 2010, when a blue 3.5 only managed $483 in 2012, $369 in 2013, and $606 in 2018.   This, too, suggests a significant premium for the sig.    

Tec50 2.5 SS (Robinson) sold for $445 in Dec 2014 when a blue 2.5 sold for $325 in 2012, which doesn't really suggest anything.  

Now skipping to the #70s, a Tec71 2.5 SS (Robinson) sold for $2K in Nov 2016 when a blue 2.5 sold for "only" $1980 in Nov 2022!  There is no other data for 2.5s, but a blue 2.0 sold for only $532 in May 2017 and $988 in August 2018.  That broader look suggests a significant premium for sigs.  

The next Tec w/ SS data is 74. A 4.0 SS (Simon/Robinson) solf for $550 in Feb 2011, compared to $255 for a blue 4.0 in Aug 2012.  Not much to go on, but it suggests a significant premium. 

A Tec 76 6.5 SS (Simon/Robinson) sold for $6500 in Feb 2022, much higher than the blue 5.5 (no 6.5 or 6.0 data) that sold for $2880 in Jan 2022.  If all the above stuff hasn't already, this data should make you smile!  @rjpb  wrote "A sale of a double signed GA Detective on Heritage by Robinson and Simon in 2020 indicated no premium for the signatures," but GPA does not list any such sale (perhaps it was canceled), just the 6.5 double SS noted, which did suggest a big premium.   

And there's no SS data for Tec77, 78, or 79.

So, overall, if I were you, I would expect both of your SS books to command a premium for the sigs.  Hopefully you can approximate how much from the above.  I would guess at least $2K for the Tec45 1.8 SS and at least $4.5K for the Tec76 5.5 SS. But it could be higher for both if the data suggests higher premiums and/or the books appreciated since beginning of 2022, so you need to give it some thought, including choice of venue for any sale (auction likely your best option).  This is just based on the data noted, as I have no experience with GA sig series, so please digest it for yourself. Hope it helps.  (thumbsu  

Edited by Pantodude

On 1/1/2023 at 4:44 PM, Pantodude said:

For me a signature voluntarily provide for, worse yet, paid for well after the publication of the book is not something for which I would pay a premium.  The items I have with signatures were either obtained by me for personal nostalgic value to commemorate meeting a creator (and thus worthless to anyone who was not there) or were published as a limited signed edition.

.For me, I am far more interested in a comic owned by a creator than a book signed by one.  So a Jerry Robinson owned book would garner a premium from me whether signed or unsigned. So I would want to know if the comps for SS books up thread were not just signed but also owned by Tobinson.

The only SS books that would get a premium from me would need to have some historical significance.  The boing volume Barks inscribed to Willits on the day he met his first fan would be an example. 

On 1/2/2023 at 11:30 AM, sfcityduck said:

For me a signature

Hey.  Hope you're having a good new year!  You make intersting points, but I don't think the OP was asking for an estimate of what his SS books would fetch if sold to a boardie.  Presumably, he asked for estimates for the value of his SS books in general.  What little data there is (including a sale that is almost right on point for the Tec76) suggests his books ought to fetch significant premiums. 

Not surprising.  This is how it is in the rest of the collectible world.  Even decades after the fact, signed BOOKS (especially 1st editions), sports gear (balls, jerseys, bats, gloves, sneakers, etc), record albums, photos, trading cards, and on and on will command premiums.  And that is true whether or not the buyer had witnessed the signature in person, or whether or not the item was ever owned/used by the signor.  It's been like that for generations.  hm 

And you are definitely lucky to have gotten stuff signed in your presence!  (thumbsu