• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else receive comics as gifts in front of people who don't get it?
4 4

49 posts in this topic

This year I opened a few comics as presents in front of relations who don't appreciate the hobby. I think comic book shaming is still a thing, particularly for adults xD There were raised eye brows and a couple of mocking comments. I tried to explain why they were cool books but that just made it worse. After the first 2 I discreetly opened the others when people weren't paying attention.  Anyway happy festive season to everyone here. I know you understand the love :)

1065114681_ChristmasTreewithBently.thumb.jpg.bdc3e754888696ffc265e2fa93753a32.jpg

Edited by MattrixAlien

On 12/28/2022 at 11:40 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

721F21B9-8D09-4004-818A-9588ACBB1A7D.jpeg.80ed639c1ffb4fcccc43bdf5d579ac67.jpeg

See. This reminds me of S02E03... 

On 12/28/2022 at 12:13 PM, speedcake said:

Imagine trying to take someone else’s joy away from opening their gifts. Some people are rotten. 

I actually got that from an aunt one year, a little 'talk' that I shouldn't get such 'wasteful' gifts. I asked her if she meant I should get approved items like crochet and gardening stuff, and she said 'exactly, useful things'. She didn't get that I'd just rattled off her interests. 

This mentality is often caused by trauma from being forced to "grow up" (for the older generation) from parentification or just undue forced responsibility during childhood. From younger people, it usually signals they haven't come to terms with who they are as a young adult and will publicly chastise "childishness" as a show of false maturity but in private embrace it. In both cases in their mind they had to put away "childish" things and become an adult so if someone else hasn't they should be shamed until they do, because that is what it "means" to be an adult. Some people are just angry at the world and use any excuse to lash out at others, family members and friends are likely to put up with it the most so they usually get away with it.

Years back during a family XMas the MIL started making snide comments about our daughter being to old for dolls (a super expensive Supergirl Barbie) to which I came down hard on and reminded MIL that her house is literally a shrine to "Precious Moments" toys and that at her advanced age it was completely embarrassing. I was more lippy and targeted with my words but I regret nothing... lol.  

I’m incredibly proud to collect comic books and gladly talk about it. 
If say people are taking about hobbies or personal interests I’ll happily talk about my love of it and people can be surprised that a grown man and father is still in to super heroes. 
once though I’ve explained my love of it and the artwork, storylines, cultural significance, investment etc I’ve sold it to them pretty well !! 

I've been pretty fortunate that over the years of collecting, my wife has come around to understanding comics have value, and generally people don't have any issues at my house, as family tends to hunt around and get me trades and stuff, which is cool, because I get gifts that I actually like!

Yes it has happened to me.

One Christmas one of the gifts I was given was a comic book price guide. While I definitely appreciated the thoughtful gift my girlfriend of the time did not. She made a comment within seconds of me opening the gift "Comics, what a colossal waste of time"

She had her own hobbies and interests but she was too short-sighted to be able to consider those when she uttered the statement.

My family never shamed me for reading comics or receiving them as gifts.  In fact, they encouraged it. I wasn't the best of readers when I was a young tyke until my Dad introduced me to comic books.  It wasn't long before I was reading every comic I could find.  My parents did tire of me frequently asking what certain words meant (e.g. Excelsior!).  I was gifted with a dictionary not long after. :)

On 12/28/2022 at 7:29 AM, Artboy99 said:

Yes it has happened to me.

One Christmas one of the gifts I was given was a comic book price guide. While I definitely appreciated the thoughtful gift my girlfriend of the time did not. She made a comment within seconds of me opening the gift "Comics, what a colossal waste of time"

She had her own hobbies and interests but she was too short-sighted to be able to consider those when she uttered the statement.

That is probably one of many reasons she is your “X” girlfriend…

My family could care less. They know me pretty well. They know not to buy me any vintage comics but I do get a few related items. My wife got me the CGC grading guide and my younger daughter got me a very limited edition Batmobile Hot Wheels car.