• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happens if an assigned grade causes a book's FMV value to cross over the tier selected on the submission form?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hi there. First, let me say how impressed I was with the turnaround speed of my recent (and first) CGC submission. That was just awesome, so thank you! 

I'm building the list for my next submission and I think I've confused myself on the tiers and FMV. I understand the FMV is for insurance purposes, and I understand the tiers and the maximum value a book can have within the tier ($400 for Modern; $1,000 for Standard; $3,000 for Express) and their respective prices/costs/estimated turnaround times for both grading and pressing. I know which books will generally fall into each tier and I would submit them separately based on each tier. My question though is with respect to CGC's comment "If CGC determines that a collectible is undervalued and does not qualify for the tier or services selected, it may adjust the tier and charge the appropriate difference". I have a few books that would be submitted under the Express tier due to their FMV. However, if they were to receive a higher grade they would surpass the $3,000 value for the Express tier. If that were to happen, would CGC then move these to the Walk Through tier automatically, or would I be contacted or how would that work? I may have confused myself by thinking this is more complicated than it really is, but if you can assist that would be great. Perhaps it may be best that I simply submit these under the Walk Through initially and understand that it would be $150 or 3% FMV for each CGC/CCS? Thank you very much. 

• Administrator

Hello @Stormtrooper_Pete,

Thank you for your question. In the situation you posed, our graders would bump the books to their appropriate tier of service automatically. We do suggest to be conservative with your declared values because we do not reimburse you if your book is overvalued. If you think they are likely to be in the Express tier, feel free to submit them through this tier. Then if one book is bumped but the other is not, you will not be overcharged for the book that was not bumped. Also, even if a book is bumped to a higher tier, they will still ship with the other books in the same invoice (NOT ORDER FORM).

Example: You submit 10 books through Economy, and 3 through Express all on the same order form/packing slip. One of your Express books is bumped to the Walkthrough Tier and one of your Economy books is bumped to Standard. The Express and bumped Walkthrough books will still ship back to you together because they are in the same invoice. Later the Economy and bumped Standard books will ship together because they are in the same invoice.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.