• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YOUR Best of the Best OA 2022 from CGC Boardies
2 2

26 posts in this topic

Rather than pore over hundreds of entries on CAF, I thought it'd be cool to see Boardies Best of the Best from this year, so I'll steal their idea. I'd say the caveat is that you can only pick ONE piece that is your favorite of the year, or one that you got for a steal price, or is a favorite example. You get the idea. I'll start with:

Gonzalo Mayo 'Red Sonja' painting, circa 2007

I'll spare everyone the lengthy re-hash and come up with something short: I sold this painting in 2014 and regretted it every since, I offered the buyer every year since around 2016 to buy it back, and this year - he accepted! It was great. It's oil and acrylic and measures something around 22"x34" so it's a massive painting, and is my favorite of my entire collection:

GONZALO_MAYO_REDSONJA_FINAL.thumb.jpg.193a88342ffd15ee379e9cc9ffd901a5.jpg

On 12/31/2022 at 12:57 PM, grapeape said:

That Red Sonja should be a cover somewhere if it's not already. 👍 👍 

Man, I've tried twice to contact Dynamite for using it (the first time I owned it I spoke with Gonzalo and he did give me permission to try and work a deal) which resulted in a few discussions with them, but to no avail. I tried to contact them again a few months ago (figuring if they wanted to do it, I'd track down his estate and try to broker a deal) but didn't get any response. I even went so far as to mock this up back in 2014 hoping to generate some interest:

1880336754_RedSonjaGonzaloMayoCoverArt.thumb.png.689967ee3b336edd820f04f9d63f9356.png

It would be a GREAT variant cover. Obviously, I have a vested interest in that - but leaving that aside, it would still be a pretty cool cover for them.

On 1/1/2023 at 7:37 PM, gumbydarnit said:

Wow a stunner!!! Knowing nothing of the strip, this is a killer setup with excellent art and I MUST know more!

It's a UK strip that ran over here from the 1950s onwards.

There are two hardback reprint editions that you may be able to locate on eBay.  Both sport Brian Bolland covers.  Overlord, the first volume, reprints 'Survival'.

fr cover 0001.jpg

OIP.jpg

On 1/1/2023 at 8:49 PM, alxjhnsn said:

Hmm... Only one. That's a challenge since I've had a really fun year collecting - benefit of selling some of my comic collection.

I think I'll go with my Superman strip (1291) - signed by Shuster to Ike Wilson, probably laid out by Shuster with finishes by Boring and faces by Shuster as was still common in 1943. In any case, it looks great! Click on the picture for a bigger image.

image.thumb.jpeg.c1f614890d42b063dfd9e45d62512c8d.jpeg

In the Additional Images you can read the six strip sequence.

Congrats - great strip Alex!  Did you ask Ike about how/when he got Shuster to sign it?

On 1/2/2023 at 12:58 AM, mtlevy1 said:

being able to add this page from Heroes & Villains was a pretty on target pickup at CAL from Mikail - 8 x 10". 

Kirby Impy Sketch with Mr. Fantastic.jpg

I was just thinking about how cool that Kirby project was yesterday… then today you post this killer piece!  

Today I’m thinking wouldn’t it be cool if I won the Mega Millions jackpot ; )

On 1/2/2023 at 3:32 AM, Brian Peck said:

Back in 2016 I missed getting this cover Nick had already sold it. In 2022, I got another opportunity and was able to acquire it. This is my favorite piece of artwork by Nick and my favorite acquisition of 2022

Rocketeer At War #1 by Nick Bradshaw. 

image.jpeg

The level of detail is mind-blowing. That cover is awesome!

On 1/2/2023 at 8:23 AM, Varanis said:

2022 may have been my lightest year for OA yet, but still had a ton of great pick-ups.

My biggest and best was probably this Cosmic Ghost Rider variant cover by J Scott Campbell.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1859670

LXnCZzVZ_1810221643411sbpi.jpg

I saw this when you first posted and I think this is one of my favorite JSC covers - he just nails every cool aspect of the character and he captures the motion perfectly.

On 1/2/2023 at 6:19 PM, Latverian Tourism Board said:

Man, only one is tough! I found some big pieces on my want list this year, but I’ll go with the piece I’ve been looking for longest. It wasn’t the most expensive I bought, but it was the most satisfying. A page from the Doom story in Astonishing Tales #2 by Wally Wood. I feel like I got a twofer here, with half the page being great Marvel content, and the other half reminiscent of his EC sci-fi work. And Doom zipping around on his jet pack! 

0342849B-B51C-490F-9D93-2C67307C41F3.thumb.jpeg.8a9dd08ee43da8279e5d248baf06ae7b.jpeg

The last panel is CLASSIC Doom dialogue - I love it.

On 1/2/2023 at 8:00 AM, pemart1966 said:

Congrats - great strip Alex!  Did you ask Ike about how/when he got Shuster to sign it?

Yes, I did ask. He wrote that he met Joe in 1983 and got him to sign it. He also said he had bought it earlier from Stu Reisbord of Cartoon Carnival.