• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pickings are slim...
2 2

53 posts in this topic

On 1/1/2023 at 9:45 PM, Xenosmilus said:

There is nothing to even "hate watch" nowadays I feel... 

I think it depends on your mindset of what to watch - I fall into two categories:

One, I've only got 20-40 minutes before I go to bed, so I want to watch something I can just shut off and walk away. This tends to be any of the Marvel or DC movies, or 80's movies like Predator.

Two, I've got a full hour or two where I am awake enough to engage in something new or that requires me to pay attention. The Old Man and Wednesday have been two shows I've been watching, which are great.

I also don't subscribe to all the major platforms, I move around. I have Hulu, Disney and Discovery as our main ones (Free with our cell phone plan), and we just cancelled Paramount Plus to pick up Netflix, and after a few months, I'll drop Netflix for HBO, and then drop HBO for Peacock, etc etc. That way we always have *something* new to watch when we drop one subscription and pick up another.

On 1/2/2023 at 7:59 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I think it depends on your mindset of what to watch - I fall into two categories:

One, I've only got 20-40 minutes before I go to bed, so I want to watch something I can just shut off and walk away. This tends to be any of the Marvel or DC movies, or 80's movies like Predator.

Two, I've got a full hour or two where I am awake enough to engage in something new or that requires me to pay attention. The Old Man and Wednesday have been two shows I've been watching, which are great.

I also don't subscribe to all the major platforms, I move around. I have Hulu, Disney and Discovery as our main ones (Free with our cell phone plan), and we just cancelled Paramount Plus to pick up Netflix, and after a few months, I'll drop Netflix for HBO, and then drop HBO for Peacock, etc etc. That way we always have *something* new to watch when we drop one subscription and pick up another.

I agree, and find that this is a very interesting phenomenon created by home viewing/streaming! ----> There is too much content and far too much of it is mediocre.

It does depend what time it is and how much time I have to watch. I have lots of possible movies and shows that I could watch, but as I scroll through it nothing leaps out at me as "I must watch this" because I have watched many other shows/movies that unfortunately did not deliver. Therefore what happens is I scroll looking for something and then 30 minutes has elapsed and I give up and go to sleep. Having been through this many many times I often choose to watch something I have seen before that does not require the attention or perhaps a Youtube video that is specific to content I am currently interested in and I can choose the content based on length of video.

If u want a time twist confusion, try new 'Kaleidoscope' heist TV series that was designed to have episodes to watch in ANY order except for the first and last/conclusion episodes like the classic 'Lost' on an island series.

Recommend TV streaming (some with English sub-titles):

1. Money Heist (Spanish): great villains

2. Money Heist: Korea; re-imagines and summarizes season 1 and 2 of above Spanish version.

3. Tulsa King: like Sopranos

4. '1899': mix of the Titanic, Bermuda Triangle, Matrix.

5. 'Westworld' seasons 1, 2, 4, 5 better than Chloe Grace Moretz's 'Peripheral' season 1.

6. Reborn Rich: reincarnation

My wife and I enjoyed Wednesday on Netflix. Much better than what they tried to do with Archie in the Riverdale stuff but the same kinda vibes. Better acting, story and universe though that I enjoyed and hope they produce a second season (although season 1 contains itself)

Watched The Boys Season 1.  Thought it was very good, despite the gore, sex and offensive language.  Particularly impressed with Karl Urban's Billy Butcher, portraying a classic, defining example of why we Brits are considered the epitome of sophistication and manners throughout the world.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 1/2/2023 at 1:34 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Watched The Boys Season 1.  Thought it was very good, despite the gore, sex and offensive language.  Particularly impressed with Karl Urban's Billy Butcher, portraying a classic, defining example of why we Brits are considered the epitome of sophistication and manners throughout the world.

The Boys is the best show I saw in 2022. Binged all 3 seasons, and it is the rare show that got better as it went (season 3 is the best!)

On 1/2/2023 at 12:18 PM, drotto said:

Yellowstone and it's spinoff 1923 have been great.

I just started Yellowstone last week, and am halfway thru S3. The show is much better than I expected. I would say that it has pacing issues if the slow moments weren't so incredibly human and endearing. It also sets a large contrast when they're followed by chaos. It's becoming one of my favorite shows that I've ever watched.