• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You have $15,000 to spend on one SA book. Which book and why?
4 4

48 posts in this topic

My situation is somewhat like the thread floating around on General right now, but I know I am looking for a SA book, and that thread is going to get yanked at some point.  I am a BA and CA guy, and this purchase would be a 5 yr investment, or if that would not be necessary to cash it out then, then it becomes a 10 yr investment.  This is a serious inquiry, my knowledge cuts out around the late 60s with Nick Fury Agent of SHEILD and a few horror books, and I don't know enough to drop real money (at least real money to me) on something like this.  This is not a "buy what you love," this is a buy what I can turn around in 5 years or in 10 years.

A very serious thank you in advance for anyone that is willing to give me their input.

Wish I could give specific advice based on my intimate knowledge of what is actually going to happen in 2028 or 2033 but I think you need a big key like the ones @Batmanis#1 listed.  If it were me, I would be looking for the highest grade low-number ASM or FF I could get for that money like an ASM #2 in 8.0 or an FF #4 in 8.0 (these are based on recent GPA prices listed which are subject to change).  But then I'm a collector not an investor so my decision tree will be much different than yours.

if you're holding for 5-10 yrs then get the best marvel early SA key you can get. i dont know if its jim83 in 5.0, tos39 in 5.0 or xmen1 in 5.0 but anything like that should do you well over that time frame. i'm less enthusiastic if its a book you can only get in 2.0 since those books are often hideous. but even those low grade keys do fine over time. 

If it's a pure investment,  I would put my $$ on the spider and buy the highest graded ASM1 I could find. Or save up for a lower grade AF15.  

An AF15 in .5 is probably a little riskier. Others may disagree, but as prices fluctuate, I feel like incomplete and restored books will go down the furtherst (this advice is coming from a guy with a .5 AF15 missing a back cover)

FF1 and X1 would be interesting books to speculate on.  X1 has come down so much it feels like a good time to buy and I could see that book getting hot again. 

That said,  in my opinion, Spidey is the safest bet. 

I would also consider ASM 1 as your dollar will stretch further.  A better presenting mid grade copy is possible unlike IH1, FF1, or AF15. I’m not sure how prices have dropped on JIM83, XM1, or TOS39 but if you can buy a 3.5 or better within your budget, I would snap up a copy.

It’s boring but I would buy a Marvel SA key and reap the rewards in 10+ years.

PS: Spider-Man is king of the Silver Age

PPS: In terms of Bronze, buy multiple IH181s

On 1/2/2023 at 8:43 PM, KCOComics said:

FF1 and X1 would be interesting books to speculate on.  X1 has come down so much it feels like a good time to buy and I could see that book getting hot again. 

That said,  in my opinion, Spidey is the safest bet. 

imho the ff1 speculation train left the station long ago. as @piper said, along with hulk1 and af15, it's already super pricey. everyone knows a movie is in the works. stick with the keys that you can get better than a 3.0 for your money. asm1, xmen1, jim83, tos39. avengers1 is a maybe. also asm2, 3 and 14 always do really well, as do all ditko key villain 1st appearance books. 

On 1/3/2023 at 11:43 AM, alexgross.com said:

imho the ff1 speculation train left the station long ago. as @piper said, along with hulk1 and af15, it's already super pricey. everyone knows a movie is in the works. stick with the keys that you can get better than a 3.0 for your money. asm1, xmen1, jim83, tos39. avengers1 is a maybe. also asm2, 3 and 14 always do really well, as do all ditko key villain 1st appearance books. 

I would actually argue FF1 has settled into its natural position.  Fighting with Hulk 1 for the second most valuable book of the SA. 

I'm not sure if a movie will give it a pop, but with pricing retreating it seems like it's at a good buy point. With a 5 to 10 year runway, I think it will grow and remain a top 3 SA book. 

With that said, Spiderman is still the winner for me. If you can get a complete, blue label AF15 I would go there.  Or as nice if a ASM1 as you can get! 

On 1/3/2023 at 2:18 PM, fishbone said:

nothing wrong with FF1, XM1, AV1, TOS39, JIM83 ---- no way they won't all move up from a purchase today to 5-10 years in future

BUT, I think AF#15 is the SA equivalent to AC#1 and will continue to be .....

Totally agree. 

I just wonder how a .5 incomplete AF15 (what $15k will get you right now) will compare to a 4.0ish ASM1?  

That's why I'm thinking you save up and get a 2.0 AF15... Or if $15k is it, maybe go for an ASM1? 

I don't think there is a wrong answer.  Just various degrees of right answers lol. 

On 1/3/2023 at 2:22 PM, KCOComics said:

Totally agree. 

I just wonder how a .5 incomplete AF15 (what $15k will get you right now) will compare to a 4.0ish ASM1?  

That's why I'm thinking you save up and get a 2.0 AF15... Or if $15k is it, maybe go for an ASM1? 

I don't think there is a wrong answer.  Just various degrees of right answers lol. 

yeah, unless it's complete with both front and back cover and relatively nice eye appeal, a 0.5 could be a mess of a book ..... maybe save up some more and get at least a 1 or 1.8 ...............

Investing in one SA comic, 5-year horizon, high & sustainable demand. 

ASM1 4.0-4.5 (possibly even 5.0) will fit the bill. Current values have dropped ~20-30% in the 1.5-5.0 range in the last couple years (like most investments) so consider this either a correction or a blip on the upward trajectory. Either way, 5-years is a very likely increase. 

Currently $15K will top you out at about 3.0 for FF1. Room to grow - sure. As much as ASM1? Maybe if the MCU delivers. If the FF crashes in the MCU, 5 years could see FF1 return less than a higher grade ASM1. 

So IMO, ASM1 has two advantages - 1) $15K can currently get it in higher grade than FF1 and 2) it's Spidey. 

On 1/3/2023 at 12:18 PM, fishbone said:

nothing wrong with FF1, XM1, AV1, TOS39, JIM83 ---- no way they won't all move up from a purchase today to 5-10 years in future

BUT, I think AF#15 is the SA equivalent to AC#1 and will continue to be .....

of course my real answer would be ...but it doesn't address the original question....but I personally would blow that 15K on a really nice Spidey OA page, I think OA has a lot more growth potential

Can you get an early ASM OA page for less than 15k?

Edited by piper

i know you said one book, but technically this is:  buy 15 individual CGC-graded pages of AF 15 @ ~ $1K each ... hold.  Liquidate one at a time, each year, starting 10 years from now, over a 15-year period. 

Go ahead, laugh.

life-coming-to-america.gif

On 1/4/2023 at 8:26 AM, zosocane said:

i know you said one book, but technically this is:  buy 15 individual CGC-graded pages of AF 15 @ ~ $1K each ... hold.  Liquidate one at a time, each year, starting 10 years from now, over a 15-year period. 

Go ahead, laugh.

Not laughing ( ok a lil bit)  but pls point me in the direction where I can get pages at 1k. For me think u can't go wrong with an AF15 at any grade but for consideration, how about an uncanny x men 1 ? Feel still has lots of leg room. 

On 1/3/2023 at 5:59 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Golden Age book

Yeah, this is a good point. A title like Planet Comics jumped up a lot in 2022 and they're generally less available.  If you could find one, you might be able to get a PC #1 in 6.5 or 7.0-ish.  Not recommending this particular book, just an example.

Edited by MattTheDuck