• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You have $15,000 to spend on one SA book. Which book and why?
4 4

48 posts in this topic

On 1/2/2023 at 10:46 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Wish I could give specific advice based on my intimate knowledge of what is actually going to happen in 2028 or 2033 but I think you need a big key like the ones @Batmanis#1 listed.  If it were me, I would be looking for the highest grade low-number ASM or FF I could get for that money like an ASM #2 in 8.0 or an FF #4 in 8.0 (these are based on recent GPA prices listed which are subject to change).  But then I'm a collector not an investor so my decision tree will be much different than yours.

I’m a big fan of FF 4 and I agree with you on a possible purchase of this book in a CGC 8.0!

What fun is buying to just hold a book for 10 years? You buy it, say you have it and it goes up...what 100%? In 10 years? So you made 1,500$ a year? Horrible investment. I'd say take this 15k and buy whatever you think the coolest silver age key comics are, then list them for a reasonable but higher percentage over FMV value and then leave them until it goes to it and is sold...Then find others do it again and again...you'll enjoy a bunch of different comics, learn a bunch, meet some interesting folk and make a hell of a lot more over 10 years vs just having 1 comic to enjoy.  I just think buying 1 of anything for a set time period as an investment purely is a fools game. 1st rule diversify. One thing I agree about that a lot of people on this board say buy multiple books. If you truly believe these comics will go insane. Buy 8 2k$ books. 10 years they're all worth 10k. 10 sales at 8k is a lot easier for 80k than 1 15k investment going up another 500+% to that. My 2 cents. 

I think Daredevil #1 is still undervalued, would be a great time in to pickup in higher grade copy, where as most of the other Marvel SA keys are out of reach in high grade. Not sure about the last few years, but it was also one of the few modern Marvel books that was a good read. You had the Smith, Bendis, Brubaker runs which were fantastic. I wish I picked up one years ago but was finishing my X-men run. 

Edited by maraxusofkeld