• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submission status goes backward from QC/Final to Grading/QC???

5 posts in this topic

This is my first CGC submission so I'm probably way too excited/anxious about it because I'm almost constantly refreshing the status of my submission to get any update immediately.

I have one submission that is a group of 2 books I submitted to the Modern tier. As of last week it was in the "Grading/Encapsulating/Imaging" status. This morning I saw that it had moved to "Quality Control/Finalized". Then less than an hour later I refreshed again and it had changed to "Grading/Quality Control".

This makes me worried that maybe the Quality Control found some issue and one or more of my books has had to go back for regrading which can't possibly be a good thing. It's even more confusing because "Grading/Quality Control" is not an option listed on the CGC status explanations page.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

On 1/3/2023 at 2:30 PM, Kronius said:

This is my first CGC submission so I'm probably way too excited/anxious about it because I'm almost constantly refreshing the status of my submission to get any update immediately.

I have one submission that is a group of 2 books I submitted to the Modern tier. As of last week it was in the "Grading/Encapsulating/Imaging" status. This morning I saw that it had moved to "Quality Control/Finalized". Then less than an hour later I refreshed again and it had changed to "Grading/Quality Control".

This makes me worried that maybe the Quality Control found some issue and one or more of my books has had to go back for regrading which can't possibly be a good thing. It's even more confusing because "Grading/Quality Control" is not an option listed on the CGC status explanations page.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I think Quality control issues can mean any number of things, from minor to major; from a wrong label (or mispelling), to a hair sealed inside a slab, to excessive newton rings, to a misgrade, to actual damage to the slab or comic..  And you worrying about does nothing to change any of the outcomes.  And if they're checking for one thing, they might check for more things, just to make sure they got it all right.

I would look at this way.  CGC grades a zillion books, and makes thousands of mistakes (not much percentagewise, but THOUSANDS).  In most cases they are reasonably harmless mistakes, but anyone would rather have that corrected before CGC sends you back your book.

Edited by revat

On 1/3/2023 at 5:05 PM, Bird said:

not a bad thing, they just caught an error in the final product and will rectify it. as revat said, good to catch it now as that is what QC if there for

Unless the error was accidentally giving me a 10.0!!! :)

Later in the day another submission that is a group of 6 books advanced from "Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging" to "Grading/Quality Control", so maybe it just means some of the books are still being graded while some have made it to QC. Like revat said, worrying won't change the outcome, but that doesn't stop me from worrying. LOL.