• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don’t understand why my Wolverine #1 got 9.0
3 3

28 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2023 at 9:24 AM, Kronius said:

Only way to reduce turnaround time was to hire more people which means there are a bunch of new people with less experience. Hopefully they get better?

That’s the Master/Apprentice quandary for the customer - do you want to send your book in at full price to have someone “learn” on it? I’m sure they have a training program, but the guy who’s graded thousands of books is still going to be better than the guy who’s done 200. It’s a double-edged sword, and unfortunately the customer gets to pay the price for training through low/inconsistent grading results.

I agree with the 9.0 based on what I see

I also understand CGC modern graders are not as consistent as they should be. Hasn’t affected me personally as most books I have received back I understand the grades given but I certainly know that in hiring new modern graders in the last year, the consistency on 1980-now books has gotten a little wild. I’m personally sticking to pre 1975 books until they get a few years experience under their belt (the new modern graders that is)

On 1/6/2023 at 1:34 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I agree with the 9.0 based on what I see

I also understand CGC modern graders are not as consistent as they should be. Hasn’t affected me personally as most books I have received back I understand the grades given but I certainly know that in hiring new modern graders in the last year, the consistency on 1980-now books has gotten a little wild. I’m personally sticking to pre 1975 books until they get a few years experience under their belt (the new modern graders that is)

Other than the fact that I had (what I thought were) two 9.8 candidates that both came back 9.6 (Iron Man 292 & ASM 361), I am pretty happy with all of the grades I got (now that I see the fingerprint issue on this book).

I only collected comics for about 3 years from 90-92. In this round I submitted all of my most valuable comics. I was thinking about submitting a second round where I comb through my collection for 9.8 candidates even if they are less valuable. Maybe by the time those comics go through the 6+ month waiting list for pressing, the grading will be more consistent....

On 1/7/2023 at 10:50 AM, Kronius said:

Not shocked. Just wishing I’d gotten the same grader…

Yes, I understand well.  Bought the deslabbed Batman with first generation label from WW Comics in 2019.  It was 8.5.  Had it pressed and hope to get the same grade or 9.0.  I got bumped and had to paid extra money but I don't mind getting 9.4.