• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ray Bradbury collected comics.
2 2

20 posts in this topic

On 1/7/2023 at 9:01 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

I'm pretty sure I've never posted this ancient artifact before, but here's an early flyer for a convention that dates way back to '87 with Ray Bradbury as a featured guest. 

Unfortunately, the convention canceled shortly after this early flyer was produced for reasons lost to the annals of time; it was an ambitious effort. The guests approached had all accepted according to the sponsors who solicited my appearance, but the promised contract never materialized. I've tried finding more historical data on this non-event, but so far even Google has shrugged. 

Nexus87flyer.jpg.06f9310fcc5c51175c1a1a75fd069eab.jpg

The flyer is from my fanzine and convention program collection; several copies were apparently sent to the featured guests when they were initially distributed (note: the flyer art was produced by someone associated with the convention, I think it might've been by David Means, their Fan GoH, but I'm unfamiliar with the style and unable to supply direct attribution).

Looks like Matt Baker

On 1/7/2023 at 9:09 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Maybe a distant relative (lol). I'm familiar with David Means as an SF fan, but not as an artist, although I seem to recall he might've done some fanzine work.

Cat that was a heck of a lineup you had going on this con. And is that your name I see on there?

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 1/7/2023 at 11:56 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Thanks a lot for referring to an artifact from 1987 as "ancient."

I'm the ancient part of the artifact. :bigsmile:

On 1/7/2023 at 9:19 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Cat that was a heck of a lineup you had going on this con. And is that your name I see on there?

(thumbsu Yep 

On 1/8/2023 at 9:11 AM, sfcityduck said:

The letter is referring to the truly ancient, barely older than me, 1965 paperback reprint of the Bradbury EC stories.

lol I am in the same age category.  Going to call out @Robot Man as in a recent post he made a comment suggesting he may be younger than me - which in my "I'm still the same age as I was in '85"  - caused me to not expect - I guess its all his tremendous pop 40's-60's pop culture knowledge that threw me off.

Edited by path4play

On 1/8/2023 at 8:37 AM, path4play said:

lol I am in the same age category.  Going to call out @Robot Man as in a recent post he made a comment suggesting he may be younger than me - which in my "I'm still the same age as I was in '85"  - caused me to not expect - I guess its all his tremendous pop 40's-60's pop culture knowledge that threw me off.

He is around Eddie Van Halen’s age (RIP too young) so born more towards mid-50s than mid-60s.