• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Error - Crack inside Holder
1 1

8 posts in this topic

To CGC:

I  just received my order on 1/6/23 from the Todd McFarlane signing.  One of my books has a hairline crack inside the holder at the bottom left hand corner.  The crack is about 3/4 of an inch long.  Can I send this back to CGC as a Mechanical Error for a reholder. Thanks again for all the help.  

2BDF71EB-C621-42C5-8734-AF48405BB1D0.jpeg

B6890397-E439-449C-BAEF-0298DEEFE802.jpeg

F4180523-EF2F-4E68-A294-AE52FC66F50A.jpeg

8FFFAD5C-5B7E-4DF3-A2B2-1E4C1F6E97AE.jpeg

08CCCBE4-BA4B-4492-A998-D53E68141B70.jpeg

• Administrator

Hello @Miketimus_Prime

Thank you for reaching out to us! The process of sealing your book in its holder requires a good amount of pressure which can occasionally result in minor hairline cracks at the seams of the holder. These are considered normal and acceptable.  

While you can submit your book for the paid reholder service, the holders are designed to be tamper-evident and difficult to open. Removing a book does expose the book to a potential risk of damage, and we cannot guarantee that the new holder will be completely free of any small, hairline pressure cracks. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to us. 

• Administrator
On 1/8/2023 at 10:10 AM, Miketimus_Prime said:

👍.  Just double checking…..this doesn’t qualify as a mechanical error but I can pay to have it reholdered.  Is there a chance that the crack will worsen over time?  

Hello @Miketimus_Prime,

If stored and handled correctly, the crack should not worsen over time. You can have the book re-slabbed with our reholder service. Re-holder is $20 per book for books valued up to $1000 and $50 for higher-valued books. 

Regards, 

Also the scuffing at the bottom corner as well as the Newton Rings in the center.  Seriously unhappy with the condition of this holder.  Well I can always pay the shipping both ways to CGC, the reholder fee, the label fee, and the handling to fix CGCs mistake.  Don’t forget the original fee for the Todd McFarlane signature.

This is for my own personal collection…..if I ever tried selling it, any potential buyer would be pissed.