• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS appears to have lost my Registered package
1 1

26 posts in this topic

So looking for a little advice.

On December 21st I did a trade, I sent him an ASM 14, he sent me a slew of slabs, raws, cash, etc.  

The agreed upon trade value of the ASM 14 was $4500 (I insured the package for $5k).  This value was based off of recent sales, current listings, etc.

I sent the book to him Registered and insured (I know registered takes longer but I have used it several times in the past on more expensive books)

His books arrived to me fine.

The last update on my book was December 28th, moving out of St Louis (on the way to Chesterfield).

I opened a case last week and they said between it being the holidays and registered, it will just take a long time but will get there eventually.  Since I opened a case though, they had to investigate (the PO in Chesterfield).  Got an email yesterday saying the package is ‘lost or missing’ and to file a Search for Missing Mail request.

I filed the request with lots of pictures of the box and the contents and have the request number.  The email also said to please give it a few days as it could just turn up.  

So the next step, if nothing happens in the next few days, is the insurance claim.  The recipient is going to file the claim so they can reimburse him directly.  I just have a bad feeling we are going to get the runaround (even though we have lots of pics of the original receipt, box, etc)

Has anyone here had to deal with something like this/file a claim through USPS?  Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks!

On 1/9/2023 at 12:16 AM, ThothAmon said:

Patience is a virtue. If it’s registered it will get there. Fingers crossed and good luck. 

A virue. Patience is a virue*.

Sorry to hear your story, mate. I hope the package is found for you, and soon. 

-Anyone else remember? 

Edited by Cat

You may need to keep applying a little pressure. I've had reserved with an attempted, and failed delivery go back to the P.O. to wait the 2 week period for a "return to sender", with no notice to me. You also have to consider that our Postal Service has a new Postmaster General who "appears" to be trading off customer satisfaction for increased profit. I say this after seeing multiple branches with only one clerk at the counter during the Holiday rush. The. Busiest. Time. Of. The. Year. ... his name is DeJoy and Joy is the last thing on his mind when it comes to his clientele. Picture The Soup Nazi on steroids. I'm not sure it's understaffed, but it is definitely under operated. GOD BLESS... 

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I had so much trouble tracking a MIA package last year that the recipient implemented the on-line complaint system from his end also ... and finally success. 

Edited by jimjum12

my mailman forged my signature on the slip for a registered package several years ago and left it in my non-locking mailbox at the time. it was a 3k value package. i was on vacation and it was stolen. 

therefore my claim to usps was denied as they said they had my signature on the registered receipt. i was ultimately able to appeal directly to the postmaster inspector general who was able to process my claim and finally get me reimbursed, more than half a year later. i never saw that postman again either. 

since your case sounds much simpler, you should have a better time than i did. but if not, contact the postmaster inspector general. 

This is 'slightly' longer than I've seen on registered package delays, but (if it wasn't for the part about USPS saying it was lost/to file a claim) it's close to what I have experienced myself on registered shipments.  The last several registered packages that I've received, they sat in the big post office facility about 30 miles away from me for up to a full week with zero movement, only to randomly show as out for delivery at some point.  Supposedly registered stuff has to be handled with a literal lock & key, with the last employee to touch it having to sign it in and out of a locker, so it's supposed to be 100% secure.  Again, if it wasn't for them saying it's lost, I'd say to give it a little more time and that it might still show up this week.  

On 1/8/2023 at 8:50 AM, Action252Kid said:

This is 'slightly' longer than I've seen on registered package delays, but (if it wasn't for the part about USPS saying it was lost/to file a claim) it's close to what I have experienced myself on registered shipments.  The last several registered packages that I've received, they sat in the big post office facility about 30 miles away from me for up to a full week with zero movement, only to randomly show as out for delivery at some point.  Supposedly registered stuff has to be handled with a literal lock & key, with the last employee to touch it having to sign it in and out of a locker, so it's supposed to be 100% secure.  Again, if it wasn't for them saying it's lost, I'd say to give it a little more time and that it might still show up this week.  

Yeah, this seems right. Also them saying it’s lost was basically ‘the post office in chesterfield looks for it and if they can’t find it they say it’s lost’. 

i shipped it out during the holiday madness so my hope is it moves in a few days

On 1/8/2023 at 11:29 AM, aokartman said:

Hi, 

Sorry to hear about your lost book.  I worked at the USPS for nearly 25 years.  Registered Mail does, indeed, have a paper trail of signatures and is technically secure at all times during the handling of your package.  This means that when something goes missing, they can narrow down the possibilities more quickly.

If your customer concerns linger on, I'd encourage you to contact the Postal Inspection Service directly.  It is their job to get to the bottom of this type of occurrence.

At the distribution center where I worked, there was a case of theft by the actual Registered Mail clerk, who was fired.  But, they caught him, and I guess there is a good chance the losses were made as whole as practical.  

It sounds like your book may be lost, but you will likely be compensated with all the saved documentation.  And maybe another criminal will be offered rehabilitation due to your efforts.

Good luck, David

Agreed, every postal employee that handles a registered mail item has to sign for it so if it is missing, it will be easy to identify where in the chain of custody it went missing.  Having said that, registered mail packages do have a habit, especially during busy periods like around the holidays, of seemingly disappearing only to suddenly show up.  I've had plenty of delays with them, even to the point of making me very nervous... but they've always turned up fine.  Good luck! 

Unfortunately, as a seller on eBay, I have had multiple experiences with lost USPS mail. You should be fine with the fact you are dealing with registered and insured mail. Three out of three times, I collected the insured amount allowed in Priority mail. Three completely different items: $100 porcelain statue broken in pieces, a $1200 saxophone that went completely missing and a lost $70 vintage carved wood duck call whistle. All three I did the online submission form with USPS. I provided pictures, proof of value and tracking information. All three times I refunded the buyer and received a check in the mail from USPS. Both times items I sold that were lost and not insured, I did not collect from USPS even though I provided the same amount of evidence. First class and media mail suck and I won't use them unless it's for an item valued below $10.

I have learned to do the following for high value items: I take pictures of packing the item and a picture of it boxed with the shipping label. I make sure I can practically take a baseball bat to the package and I hand deliver the package to an agent for a receipt. I will add insurance when necessary and require signature on delivery.The items proof of value is usually easy: sales price (invoice).

All that being said, it's a relatively simple process and easy to check the progress of the investigation online. Each time payment was in a timely manner.

It's not the same, but I've had comic packages sent to me "disappear" for up to a week at a time. They'd leave a facility and then just never arrive anywhere else.  Suddenly, they'd be at the local distribution facility or at the door.  Despite the safeguards, it's an imperfect system.  Very frustrating.

I sent registered Mail during a time when nearly the entire store (post office) that would last handle the package was out sick.  Apparently, the distribution center for that final store could not deliver the package because recipient was not available to receive the package.  It took a few calls, and some aggravation, but it arrived.  The gent that bought the book understood but was quite stressed as well.   

Good luck

A couple of things I've learned over the years. 

1) never use USPS registered.  This happens every time.  It should be the easiest to track and document, yet the system is never accurate nor up to date. 

2) never ship within 2 weeks before Christmas.  

On 1/8/2023 at 4:23 PM, Topnotchman said:

How true. When I reported a damaged CGC book, they would only pay me 50% of the insured value saying the damaged item was not a complete loss even though the CGC case was crushed by what looked like the package being run over (it had an obvious tire track on it where it was crushed). 

Sorry to hear that, here is my education from an issue in Oct/Nov, just in case it may help.

In Oct/Nov I had three lower value comics arrive in the same week, but different days, each from different ebay sellers.  All three showed delivered, but weren't here.  The Postal phone number was 100% worthless and I got nowhere.  I went into the local Post Office and spoke with the employee there, who was extremely helpful.  Turns out the deliveries are handled through a neighboring town, and not through the Post Office literally a mile from my house.  They are also working their people on mandatory 6/12 schedules (6 days a week, 12 hours a day).  Also checking in with a local FB group there are people in my town getting mail deliveries once every 1-2 weeks (we're 10-ish miles north of downtown Seattle, somewhat typical established suburb type area).  My mail is typically arriving anywhere from 6-9 PM daily.  They were able to track where my packages were and I got them all.  They had been delivered to the same house number about 1/2 mile away, each on different days, with printed and fully readable addresses.

On 1/8/2023 at 2:23 PM, Topnotchman said:

Well I could probably dig up the $7k I paid for it in 2020 on these boards lol.  Might be a good idea.