• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending in comics for my first private signing

6 posts in this topic

I was looking through the events, and noticed Garth Ennis was going to be doing signings. So, I've ordered the shipping supplies and have been going through my collection to see which ones I would want to send. The comics are from the 90's, with a few recent reprints of the original comics. Most of the comics I've had graded have come back in the 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 range. My dilemma, is whether or not to have my comics pressed before sending them out. 

I've watched several Youtube videos of people having the comics pressed in house, and more often than not, I get the impression that the comics went down in grade and not up. To my eye, the comics look pretty immaculate as they are. But, I always seem to get get back a few with surprisingly lower grades that I expect. Do I bother with a press, and if so, should I be looking for a reputable third party? If so, do I even have the time to get these back in time to get them to the February signing? 

Lastly, I have a couple holofoil variants. I'm assuming there's no issues with adding signatures to these. The surface being a bit different I wasn't sure if there were issues with the ink transferring to the inner well or anything. 

There are a lot of different opinions on in-house vs third-party pressing. From my own experience, I get my comics pressed by a third-party before sending them in. However, I figured the comics get handled by a lot of folks for signature events and pressing in-house gets done after the signing and before the grading. I factored that in as well as worried about getting it back from a third-party to make it in time for the event, so for my first (and so far only) signature event, I had it pressed in-house by CCS. The caveat of course is the delay in getting things back and the risk of a bad press.

Probably didn’t really answer your question, but just things to consider…

And as for holos, I’ve seen plenty of SS signed holo covers available online/ebay, so I don’t think it’d be an issue…

Edited by 850chris

I don’t mean this as a defense of Cgc pressing or any of it, BUT theoretically most of the people posting things anywhere are more likely to be unhappy with the results.  

So the actual amount of dissatisfaction could be higher, lower, or the same relative to what you’re seeing in social media.  What you see on social media may not be as representative as one would hope. 

but there’s really no other option….if you want a post signing press they’re your option.

at this point it’s probably too late to get a good third party presser, so thankfully the decision has been taken out of your hands.

as always, if you’re not willing to risk a lower grade don’t submit. 

The videos I had watched weren’t specifically about poor quality or service. Most were unboxing and grade reveals. I do get what you’re saying though. 

Doing a quick search, there seems to be quite a few sites out there that do cleaning and pressing. On future orders, I think I’d like to have some books cleaned and pressed. I’ve got a few older books from my childhood that I may want to get graded. 

Thanks

Another question: I’ve seen videos where people indicate you get to select the color the signature is signed in. Is that a thing? I’ve got a platinum variant I’d like signed in Silver, and a black and red variant where it would be nice if the signature was in red. It’s a black cover, so not sure how opaque the markers are that they use. Was just curious how much flexibility I had was. 

On 1/10/2023 at 8:52 AM, Whisper said:

Another question: I’ve seen videos where people indicate you get to select the color the signature is signed in. Is that a thing? I’ve got a platinum variant I’d like signed in Silver, and a black and red variant where it would be nice if the signature was in red. It’s a black cover, so not sure how opaque the markers are that they use. Was just curious how much flexibility I had was. 

it depends a little bit on the signing.  SOMETIMES (albeit rarely) the initial promotion lists color choices.  

OR you can contact the facilitator ahead of time and see if there are options or what the best way is to MAYBE get a color choice.

OR you can just request it on the comic tape (assuming you have taped windows) or comic bag, and hope for the best. PLEASE SIGN IN RED ------>  

Generally, its not guaranteed unless they specifically tell you that you have a choice.  But there generally isn't harm to asking...plenty of people ask.  So you have as much flexibility as you want in what you ask for.... but the signer has even more flexibility in what they do.

Similarly, most folks make a suggestion of where they want a signature, but the signer may (and often does) choose to sign somewhere else.

Note:  If you were going to a show to meet a signer in person, you could bring your own pen and make the request in person, that's probably the best way to get the color and location you want.