• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did the Fantastic Four lose popularity?
2 2

93 posts in this topic

The 90s period by De Falco and Ryan was poorly received, so I suppose that might have been the start of it.

That said, some very nice runs following on from that; Carlos Pacheco, Waid / Wieringo, Hickman, and so still a series well worth reading.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 1/10/2023 at 2:01 PM, Browns81 said:

In the early 90s they had no hype in my area.  Everyone focused on X-Men and Spidey.  Was there a specific storyline that caused their fall, or am I not remembering correctly?

It’s a shame that the FF got the criticism because, let’s face it, there were some terrible Spidey and X-Men storylines during that same period as well, despite the extra excitement produced a little earlier by the likes of Lee and McFarlane.

Edited by Ken Aldred

When was the last time that FF had a great run to entice old and new readers alike? X-Men had many standouts just prior to the 90's, and then I recall the reboot being well-received (myself included). Same for Spider-Man, with McFarlane.

Marvel uses Doctor Doom in crossovers too often, which hurts the Fantastic Four title, as he's their greatest villain.

On 1/10/2023 at 9:01 AM, Browns81 said:

In the early 90s they had no hype in my area.  Everyone focused on X-Men and Spidey.  Was there a specific storyline that caused their fall, or am I not remembering correctly?

I don't think there was ever anything that "caused their fall," so much as there just wasn't anything to boost them up at a time when McFarlane Spider-man, Liefeld X-Force, Lee X-Men, etc was capturing headlines.  The biggest hype I remember was the "New Fantastic Four," but that just made it more disappointing when they went back to status quo ante.

Fantastic Four #348 | Arthur Adams

On 1/10/2023 at 2:27 PM, wardevil0 said:

I don't think there was ever anything that "caused their fall," so much as there just wasn't anything to boost them up at a time when McFarlane Spider-man, Liefeld X-Force, Lee X-Men, etc was capturing headlines.  The biggest hype I remember was the "New Fantastic Four," but that just made it more disappointing when they went back to status quo ante.

Fantastic Four #348 | Arthur Adams

That’s right, expanding on my brief comment. No polybagged collector’s item, can’t lose, sure to pay your college tuition, first issue reboot by a super-hot, new, young comic artist.

Great Arthur Adams art in that storyline.

Edited by Ken Aldred

for me it was when john byrne took over. the combination of his replacing the thing with she-hulk, and his insisting on inking himself instead of working with terry austin again made me completely lose interest. 

i know some people love the writing in his run on the book, and it may be very good, i cannot recall. but the thing was my favorite member by far. and i was more about the art than the story back then, as an aspiring artist. 

I think after Byrne got done with the series it took a large hit in terms of being cool.  I'm actually kind of shocked that it ever was considered cool when you look at the premise of the series.  Older stretchy genius, hot younger invisible girl, younger brother who burst into flames and a lumbering tough guy stuck in a mound of rocks - doesn't exactly make for modern story telling.  They are OG so the older guys will always love them but I can see a time when they are just passed on by younger readers.

Edited by 1Cool

On 1/10/2023 at 2:42 PM, 1Cool said:

They are OG so the older guys will always love them but I can see a time when they just passed on by for younger readers.

Similar to Superman. A character that can now seem a little old school as well. At least his portrayal in film has been better than the FF’s.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I came into the FF during a fallow period, post-Byrne, pre-Simonson. it was the "spiky Thing" era. Love it when I was a kid, but even then it was pretty clear that the FF weren't "cool". My recollection is that Simonson's run wasn't very popular either, although now, as an adult, I'm a huge fan of Walt and enjoyed his run in hindsight. Definitely feels like the book lost its shine after Byrne's popular run, when it was in competition with X-Men and Spider-Man, which were all anyone seemed to care about. They were a long way from being "The World's Greatest Comic Magazine", so much so that my recollection is that for a time, the blurb changed to "World's Greatest NON-MUTANT Comic Magazine". If you have to add a qualifier, that's a not a good sign, even if tongue in cheek.

On 1/10/2023 at 9:50 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Similar to Superman. A character that can now seem a little old school as well. At least his portrayal in film has been better than the FF’s.

The nice ultra powerful alien who does no wrong does seem old school but at least Superman can adapt very easily (which he has over the years) and keep younger readers entertained but I just don't see how FF 4 can re-invent itself without scrapping the whole team's premise.

Edited by 1Cool

I understand the frustration for @Ken Aldred

Clearly there are some really strong, and deep feelings for the FF.
But things go in cycles, and regardless if they are the original "Marvel Family", which I want to point out, no one gives a :yeehaw:

The fact is, if they don't stay relevant, then you're :yeehaw:

X-Men in the 90s, outside of their reboot, ACTUALLY was saved by The Age of Apocalypse. Then a short while later, they had a reboot by Grant Morrison, and then a short while after that, by Joss Whedon. So The X-Men were always staying fresh.

The FF were dinosaurs when *I* was a kid. There was literally no interest put on the FF in the 80s. Go back and collect now. What FF book are you buying from the 80s?

The 80s, in my opinion, is probably one of the best decades for comics, Period.
Batman, X-Men, Wolverine, and Spider-Man all had very dedicated and defining moments in the 80s, which kept their interest going. 
The FF died in the 60s. Sorry to say.

On 1/10/2023 at 6:25 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

When was the last time that FF had a great run to entice old and new readers alike? X-Men had many standouts just prior to the 90's, and then I recall the reboot being well-received (myself included). Same for Spider-Man, with McFarlane.

Marvel uses Doctor Doom in crossovers too often, which hurts the Fantastic Four title, as he's their greatest villain.

Fwiw I very much enjoyed Jonathan Hickman’s run on the title(#570-611).  I’m a bit fuzzy on the artists, but Steve Epting did the lion’s share during that time.