• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did the Fantastic Four lose popularity?
2 2

93 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2023 at 12:16 AM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

They got to make Ben Grimm the star again. People say Jack Kirby patterned the Thing after his own personality.

image.png.030a91036bd704a85f74af3fcab73aa0.png

Fantastic Four #51

Marvel Two-in-One #50

Both great examples. FF 51's a classic, and Byrne's MTIO 50's a good read as well. Especially like his version of The Thing as he was originally.

The FF have always been my number one. My first comic was FF 175 (Galactus vs the High Evolutionary). My Volume One collection is approximately 95% complete. I've read every issue pre-Onslaught, and I can say this:

The FF have always cycled up and down in popularity. Like many said, their real popularity in comparison to other titles shrank toward the end of the Kirby run. Don't forget, after Buckler and Perez Marvel was begging people to take it over, but they couldn't get a regular team on that book until Byrne agreed to come on board (although in hindsight, Pollard did some nice work).

Byrne in my opinion wrote some great stories, but made some questionable moves. I loved when Reed was trapped in the past by himself, and think a lot more could've been done there. Personally though, I hated the She-Thing, hated spiky Thing, and hated Johnny & Alicia.

I don't think Simonson was a great fit for the book, and at the time I was not too excited about it. I lost interest around that time but still kept buying them because, well, it's the FF!

On 1/12/2023 at 2:04 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol true enough! I remember watching thinking he was unbeatable, which caused my brother who was 6 years younger to cry lol happened again with the power rangers several times. I point that out to how much the story involved us with the story, rivited!

YARN | Always like to keep my audience riveted. | Blazing Saddles (1974) |  Video gifs by quotes | f02b1b7e | 紗

Lol ahh the power rangers… lol I thought the exact same thing that apocalypse was unstoppable just like how the green ranger when first introduced was kicking all 5 other rangers butts lol… kicked them out of the megazord and all lol tommy was awesome… hence why I leaned towards always wanting to be the green ranger when playing with my friends as a kid haha ahh memories unlocked… :cloud9:

Edited by Krismusic

The FF will always come second to me ( behind Spidey ) and I love them dearly. 
That’s simply based on the Lee / Kirby run which I still firmly believe is the greatest run in comic history. 
FF51 is still the greatest single issue of the silver age imo and it’s down to this run and FF1 being the north of the silver age that they’ll always be very relevant even if popularity wanes at times.  

Based on my perspective from when I was a kid (and later a teen) reading FF in the 1970s and through the 1980s, the FF and, to a large extent, The Thing, were a prominent part of the Marvel Universe until the end of Byrne's run in the summer of '86. By that point, the focus had shifted squarely on the X-Men and Avengers, with Spider-Man always leading the way. By the early '90s, it was all mutants with a triple order of Wolverine, Spider-Man, and the Bronze Age revival characters (Punisher, Moon Knight, Guardians of the Galaxy, Deathlok, Ghost Rider). To me, it seems like the FF have been an afterthought for Marvel ever since then.

I think many of the reasons cited in this thread are valid explanations for the decline or lack of popularity in the FF. For me, the two biggest reasons were the exploding popularity of the mutants swallowing everyone and everything whole and the FF comic never really having hit runs post-Byrne.

I started collecting in the 80s and could never get into FF. The stuff I liked and which I felt was cool and popular at the time was kind of the antithesis of FF—Miller/Moore antiheros, hyper-violence, Claremont X-Men, etc. I would guess that most FF fans started earlier—70s if not 60s. So to answer OP’s question, I’d say early 80s at the very latest.

I did recently get the Hickman FF omnibuses (vol 1 and 2) collecting his 2010 storyline as they got good reviews even by people who claimed to have never read FF before, but I haven’t started it yet.