• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trapped B&W

12 posts in this topic

I came across an interesting copy of a black & white Trapped comic the other day but don't know anything about it.

I've seen color copies before but not a black & white one like this.

I searched the internet but couldn't find anything on it. Can someone shed some light on it for me?

Thanks - Rob

Trapped B&W.jpg

That's nice. The wording at the top - absent from the colour copies - is quite indicative. It may be an ashcan of some sort, used by the company for illustration or legal purposes. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.4ae5c3c35adf5b67788a3d89668cffe6.PNGCapture2.thumb.PNG.a257bf86f66c4274bc5d8e466a8a59ef.PNG

.....the book gets a single line mention in the giveaway section of Mark Arnold's Harvey Comics Companion (p.94), but no mention of any B&W editions. 

@Jeffro. is an avid Harvey collector and also likes old giveaways if I recall correctly - he may know something or would at least like to see it :wishluck:

On 1/10/2023 at 11:35 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

The wording at the top - absent from the colour copies - is quite indicative. It may be an ashcan

That's my sense as well.  "Will be printed in 4 colors..."  MUST be an ashcan.  Or some doofus out there that likes to make homemade comics in his basement.... 
:whistle:

On 1/10/2023 at 7:56 PM, Yorick said:

That's my sense as well.  "Will be printed in 4 colors..."  MUST be an ashcan.  Or some doofus out there that likes to make homemade comics in his basement.... 
:whistle:

Only a fool.....

Thank you for the comments.

I confess I don't know much about ashcans but thought they just encompassed cover art or lettering to trademark a title. This comic has what I think is a complete story of 16 pages in it. The 16th page is the back cover and again I'm not sure if that adheres to the other Trapped comics that were printed in color.

I've attached a couple more pics of the black & white one I have.

It truly may be an ashcan but it would be great if anyone could add anything more to what it is. Someone suggested it may be a publishers approval copy so maybe that helps identify it too?

Trapped B&W 02.jpg

Trapped B&W 03.jpg

Very cool, and no doubt extremely rare (and possibly unique). I wouldn't say ashcan in the traditional sense of produced to secure a copyright, but perhaps used to show the client what they were getting, and possibly decide on how big a print run to order. 

The comic is an anti-reefer "educational comic".  GCD says it was printed by the Columbia University Press.  They probably had a committee overseeing approval and needed to hand out a few advance copies.

On 1/10/2023 at 10:20 PM, rob118 said:

Thank you for the comments.

I confess I don't know much about ashcans but thought they just encompassed cover art or lettering to trademark a title. This comic has what I think is a complete story of 16 pages in it. The 16th page is the back cover and again I'm not sure if that adheres to the other Trapped comics that were printed in color.

I've attached a couple more pics of the black & white one I have.

It truly may be an ashcan but it would be great if anyone could add anything more to what it is. Someone suggested it may be a publishers approval copy so maybe that helps identify it too?

Trapped B&W 02.jpg

Trapped B&W 03.jpg

trade ya

comic communist Trapped 1951 giveaway camera.jpg