• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book with No Front or Back Cover (Rare? Or just a common book missing a front and back cover, LOL)

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a Strange Tales featuring Warlock #178 which does not have a front or back cover.  Examining this closely, it's very clear to me that this specific comic book NEVER had a cover.  I believe it came from the printing press this way.  The staples appear original and completely untampered with.  Further, this book is in pristine condition.  I don't think anyone has ever opened it, except me upon examining the centerfold and looking at the staples.

For a little context and provenance:  We acquired this box of comic books and within it, among other comics was 10 copies of Strange Tales featuring Warlock #178.  All of the other copies had normal covers and are in very very good condition.  All of these books appear as though they were purchased and simply placed into this box and forgot.  I don't think any of them have been read.

My question is, in what grade tier would this coverless Strange Tales #178 land?  Would this be considered an NG?  Or a Qualified book?  

Every NG coverless rated book I've seen appears to at one time had a cover.  You can tell by the condition.  They look like they had a cover, but over time the cover was ripped off by some kid, therefore coverless.  Those books are usually thrashed.  So, to me that's one category:  Previously had a cover and now the cover is gone.

This book is different.  To my eye, this book NEVER had a cover.  It came from the printer like that.  So it seems like a manufacturing defect.

Would this book simply get lumped into the NG category, based on no cover?  Or would it be qualified, but given a grade, because it's missing a both front and back covers?

Do the graders ever make notes within the Slab itself, about manufacturing errors?  Is that a thing?

I'm trying to determine if this is a one of a kind unique book, because it was produced without a cover.  And would CGC view it as such?

OR..

If this would simply be viewed as any other Strange Tales #178, no notes on manufacturing error, just an NG and that's it....

Thanks for your help!

Best. 

Severus

• Administrator

Hello @Severus Snape

I am happy to look into this for you. To my knowledge, a book with a cover that has been removed by the consumer and one that has been received from the manufacturer without a cover would both receive a NG designation. I will check with the grading team to confirm this. 

I will let you know what I learn as soon as I can. 

Thank you for reaching out today!