• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question posed to experience and inexperience graders: How did this AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #194 get a 7.5. Detail pictures of before and after.
2 2

24 posts in this topic

At first glance with the lower resolution pics, 7.5 seemed a little on the low side to me - I'd have pegged it in the 8.0-8.5 range. Seeing the higher resolution photo, I think 7.5 is just about right. Like others have said, black covers are tough. Batman 227, Superman 199, Action Comics 108 - they've all been tough books for me to find in good shape over the years due to those darn black covers. This book is no different. Nice copy nonetheless!

I actually I used this one as my test run because I have three others ASM 194 that need to be submitted at some point but I was told to hold off. Plus if there's a line as the grader notes reflect, it can easily be pressed out, because it's not breaking color. It's literally glare, there is no color breaking line going straight down the spine. But this actually turned out OK because we where able to obtain some very unique insights. Thank you your responses we're beneficial in ways you cannot even imagine.

Not discussed but significant is the amount of blunting at both top and bottom of spine, especially the top.  The area at the top of the spine also has significant scuffing and color loss.  That effect also seems to be present at the right edge of the cover near the top.

Multiple color breaking spine stresses.  Likely creasing at the top edge as noted.

There’s general wear issues that all conspire to limit the grade.

On 2/12/2023 at 10:04 AM, 500Club said:

Not discussed but significant is the amount of blunting at both top and bottom of spine, especially the top.  The area at the top of the spine also has significant scuffing and color loss.  That effect also seems to be present at the right edge of the cover near the top.

Multiple color breaking spine stresses.  Likely creasing at the top edge as noted.

There’s general wear issues that all conspire to limit the grade.

Agreed!