• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Commissioning an Artist Ahead of a Con?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello all

I am woefully new to the yellow slab world and even more so to getting sketch covers or commissions done. 

I’ve been to conventions before and I’d usually just get some non-keys or prints signed by the artists. When it comes to artists, especially ones that have a decent following - I can’t imagine you can ask for a sketch cover to be done during the con itself - or if they do open it up it’s gonna to be a long queue. 

Is there a protocol in reaching out to artists ahead of cons and providing them with a blank and negotiating the fee - or is this actually all done on the floor and in artist alley. Also how does the CGC process work - whether they are on site or if I rope in a facilitator. 

this is for ECCC btw, I’m probably hoping for a long shot here with guys like Jonboy Meyers, John Giant, Philip Tan, Humberto Ramos, Maria Wolf, Mateo Scalera, Terry Dodson etc. 

I think your best bet is either contacting their agents (for example Comic Sketch Art handles a lot of the major comic artists).  Other agents are Essential Sequential or Scott's Collectables.

The next best step in my experience is simply reaching out via social media.  Your success will obviously depend on how active the artist is on social media, but I've been able to set up commissions that way.  

If there are artists that you are particularly interested in, you should follow them on social media regardless, often times, before major comic cons, they will post that their commissions list are open and you can try to get on their commission lists.

Hope this helps.

Every artist is different. Contact them and/or their agent ASAP then just do what they say.  Some do pre-con sketch, some do con-sketch, some do both or neither, or have lists or lines or lotteries or luck.  Some take your money and delay endlessly.  

Essentially the artist must give the book to Cgc (or Cgc witness) directly themselves, whether it’s by mail (contact Cgc for the process), or at a convention with you standing there (go to the Cgc booth first, fill out paperwork, bring the witness with you to pick up the book).  

the chain of custody between artist and Cgc cannot be broken (except I guess by possibly the mail service)