• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not restoration…because the artist did it
4 4

16 posts in this topic

Just an observation from a listing on eBay…

Seems Todd decided to do some color touch when signing a very nice book and they called it a “sketch” on the label. In the description the seller states the sketch is Todd filling in missing ink from printing (part of the moon near Batman’s face that was missing on all copies).  I found it interesting that they called this a sketch, and it’s not considered restoration.  Just my 2c!

Sweet book BTW.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385337255157?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=JlBh8G5IRuW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=jCC3hjR7RT6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Your comment indicated the missing color was on all copies.  So, the book would not be downgraded (manufacturing defect).  My thought is, in this case it seems the color fill really did not restore as the ink was not previously there; nor did the color fill attempt to improve the overall grade since the book was not downgraded in the first place.  

On 1/12/2023 at 9:23 AM, kanti said:

Your comment indicated the missing color was on all copies.  So, the book would not be downgraded (manufacturing defect).  My thought is, in this case it seems the color fill really did not restore as the ink was not previously there; nor did the color fill attempt to improve the overall grade since the book was not downgraded in the first place.  

Just to clarify as well; this isn't even close to being a manufacturing defect, the color was never in the actual production art (as I cannot think of any situation that would result in print separations, or a digital rip, failing to print such a specific localized failure of color). 

Makes me wonder if there is more than just one.  By any standard, it is manipulation of the original cover long after manufacture.  Maybe, just maybe, CGC did not want to offend the owner of the books, and potentially lose future biz and decided upon a "way to satisfy the owner".

On 1/12/2023 at 11:24 AM, Msgarmar said:

Anyone who thinks this isn’t restoration/color touch care to try the same thing Todd did on the same book and send for CGC grading? I’m not a betting man, but here I’d bet $$ you get a PLOD. 

Well no because I'm not a CGC recognized creator. Anyone who thinks this is restoration/color touch should care to go to any convention and have any creator try the same thing Todd did on the same book in front of a CGC witness and send for CGC grading. I am a betting man and I'd bet $$ you get the same yellow label that this book got. But even not witnessed, it'd be green label

Edited by JC25427N

On 1/12/2023 at 9:23 AM, kanti said:

On 1/12/2023 at 10:27 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Just to clarify as well; this isn't even close to being a manufacturing defect, the color was never in the actual production art (as I cannot think of any situation that would result in print separations, or a digital rip, failing to print such a specific localized failure of color). 

I don't know how anyone can read these two posts and still think this is restoration. The book wasn't "restored" to any previous condition. Some guy decided he wanted to have Todd color part of a book where there never was color. Some guys like a sketch of Batman's face on their cover, this guy wanted the moon colored in. Breaking it down abstractly, it's the same thing as a witnessed sketch. Adding ink to part of a book to where there was never ink, only this ink didn't make a conventional drawing, but that doesn't matter for this argument.

If this guy had Todd ink in color-breaking spine ticks, or color over some part of the cover that had an ink transfer/ink pull, then we're in a whole other ballpark. 

tldr: It isn't 'not restoration' because the artist did it, it's not restoration because the added ink didn't restore the book to a previous condition. If it wasn't witnessed I'd expect a green label, not purple. But only if CGC was paying attention, which they're not known for always doing.

Edited by JC25427N

On 1/12/2023 at 10:24 AM, Msgarmar said:

Anyone who thinks this isn’t restoration/color touch care to try the same thing Todd did on the same book and send for CGC grading? I’m not a betting man, but here I’d bet $$ you get a PLOD. 

I would gladly take that bet, since you should get a GLOD or a nice downgrade. This is absolutely not restoration/color touch.

On 1/12/2023 at 9:27 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Yeah, it's a production defect. Someone, somewhere, messed up.

On 1/12/2023 at 5:10 PM, Msgarmar said:

Sweet! Do it and let’s see what happens! I’ll pay grading fees if you get a universal!

Why would I want to deface my copy and/or send it to CGC?

Anyway, even when it's actually and obviously color touch by some nobody, CGC still doesn't consider it restoration.

I had heard MacFarlane didn't like how the cover turned out after the coloring/printing mistake. It always drew his eye and distracted from his art. I agree. I could never unsee those goofy parts the moon.

Good choice Todd! No resto.