• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone tell me...

21 posts in this topic

1) Which comic does CGC recognise as the 1st app of Bishop (Charles Bishop Weyland) from the Aliens Franchise

2) Which Comic does CGC recognise as 1st app of Hicks?

Thanks y'all. (worship) (worship)(worship)

Yeah,I have SS fever....

Edited by Beige

On 1/11/2023 at 3:32 PM, Beige said:

1) Which comic does CGC recognise as the 1st app of Bishop (Charles Bishop Weyland) from the Aliens Franchise

2) Which Comic does CGC recognise as 1st app of Hicks?

Thanks y'all. (worship) (worship)(worship)

Yeah,I have SS fever....

I did look before you edited, but I still have no idea!

I'm a blind stag = no eye deer 🦌

On 1/11/2023 at 5:31 PM, Beige said:

Picture 1 of 7

Hicks and Newt

Bishop?

I would assume. But if your to get Sigourney Weaver specifically, maybe a photo cover? I think there are some out there. That is the issue I own, that and dark horse presents 24, which the last one is the only I've read. :shy:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/12/2023 at 10:37 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Oh lance! I dint know the rest of the crew did the circuit. :)

Still been a while since I've seen any near me

Yeah - chance to get quite a few thanks to a very kind boardie.

On 1/11/2023 at 5:47 PM, Beige said:

Yeah - chance to get quite a few thanks to a very kind boardie.

Here might be good to ask, but also @Parabellum or @F For Fakemight know the first in comic appearance of bishop from aliens?

To my knowledge, CGC has never noted the specific appearance of Hicks or Bishop on a slab, unless they started doing so recently. Hicks first appears in Aliens #1. Bishop...I'm not sure, unless he appears in a flashback sequence, I don't think he shows up until the Alien 3 movie adaptation. I would have to double-check. Ripley, and the Alien, first appear in comics in Heavy Metal Magazine, and in the collected Alien The Illustrated Story collection, but I don't think CGC notes that. As far as they're concerned, they've said that Aliens 1 is the first appearance of Aliens in comics, and if we're talking strictly comic format, I guess that's true. (There was a lot of back and forth for a long time about DHP 24 being the first appearance, but I believe this is settled now.)

As for the Dark Horse comics, Aliens is about Hicks and Newt (later retconned to Wilks and Billie, in the wake of Alien3). Ripley doesn't show up until the last panel of the of the last issue of Aliens Volume 2 (this also retconned to actually be a synth, following Alien 3), and is the featured character in Aliens Earth War. So, while she may be mentioned in volume 1, if we discount Heavy Metal and Alien TIS, her first physical comic appearance is Aliens V2 #4, but since that isn't REALLY her (wink wink) I guess it's technically Alien 3 or Newt's Tale? What a confusing mess.

So yeah, I don't know if CGC will note any of that, but from a story and historical perspective, I think that's right. Parabellum or someone else may correct me on the Bishop thing, though! If Rip shows up in Aliens v1, it's a flashback, and I don't recall that being the case. 

edit: having typed all of that, it occurs to me that Bishop would have been in Newt's Tale as well, but according to the listings at MCS, the Alien 3 adaptation came out in June '92, and Newts Tale was July '92, so it looks like Alien 3 would still be first. 

Edited by F For Fake

Having scrolled back, I see you Beige specifically mentioned Charles Weyland Bishop. As far as I can recall, that character only exists in the Aliens vs Predator movie, and never appeared in comics. In comics you have the android Bishop (Lance Bishop) and you have Michael Bishop, his creator, in Alien 3,  both of which appeared in the Alien 3 adaptation. I don't think C.W. Bishop exists outside of AvP, though I could be wrong.

On 1/12/2023 at 7:43 AM, F For Fake said:

To my knowledge, CGC has never noted the specific appearance of Hicks or Bishop on a slab, unless they started doing so recently. Hicks first appears in Aliens #1. Bishop...I'm not sure, unless he appears in a flashback sequence, I don't think he shows up until the Alien 3 movie adaptation. I would have to double-check. Ripley, and the Alien, first appear in comics in Heavy Metal Magazine, and in the collected Alien The Illustrated Story collection, but I don't think CGC notes that. As far as they're concerned, they've said that Aliens 1 is the first appearance of Aliens in comics, and if we're talking strictly comic format, I guess that's true. (There was a lot of back and forth for a long time about DHP 24 being the first appearance, but I believe this is settled now.)

As for the Dark Horse comics, Aliens is about Hicks and Newt (later retconned to Wilks and Billie, in the wake of Alien3). Ripley doesn't show up until the last panel of the of the last issue of Aliens Volume 2 (this also retconned to actually be a synth, following Alien 3), and is the featured character in Aliens Earth War. So, while she may be mentioned in volume 1, if we discount Heavy Metal and Alien TIS, her first physical comic appearance is Aliens V2 #4, but since that isn't REALLY her (wink wink) I guess it's technically Alien 3 or Newt's Tale? What a confusing mess.

So yeah, I don't know if CGC will note any of that, but from a story and historical perspective, I think that's right. Parabellum or someone else may correct me on the Bishop thing, though! If Rip shows up in Aliens v1, it's a flashback, and I don't recall that being the case. 

edit: having typed all of that, it occurs to me that Bishop would have been in Newt's Tale as well, but according to the listings at MCS, the Alien 3 adaptation came out in June '92, and Newts Tale was July '92, so it looks like Alien 3 would still be first. 

On 1/12/2023 at 8:02 AM, F For Fake said:

Having scrolled back, I see you Beige specifically mentioned Charles Weyland Bishop. As far as I can recall, that character only exists in the Aliens vs Predator movie, and never appeared in comics. In comics you have the android Bishop (Lance Bishop) and you have Michael Bishop, his creator, in Alien 3,  both of which appeared in the Alien 3 adaptation. I don't think C.W. Bishop exists outside of AvP, though I could be wrong.

Thanks! @F For Fake now @Beige might have some idea!

tumblr_oh2y2m9FZ61qe5qhlo1_500.gif (450×338) | Columbo, Tv on the radio, Tv  guide

On 1/12/2023 at 8:23 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I once saw a brand of wine called that.  What a ridiculous name for a product.

Well if I'm understanding...

It helps if you're pulled over? "Sir have you been drinking?" To which was replied " no eye deer!?!" Lol. :roflmao:

On 1/12/2023 at 2:26 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well if I'm understanding...

It helps if you're pulled over? "Sir have you been drinking?" To which was replied " no eye deer!?!" Lol. :roflmao:

It was the label on a bottle of wine I once saw in a pizza cafe.  Being quite visual I immediately thought it was a terrible name, given the image it produced in my imagination.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 1/12/2023 at 9:20 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thanks! @F For Fake now @Beige might have some idea!

tumblr_oh2y2m9FZ61qe5qhlo1_500.gif (450×338) | Columbo, Tv on the radio, Tv  guide

Yeah, not sure if it'll be helpful to him, but at least it should be a starting point!

The Aliens franchise in comics is almost a master class in fumbled marketing tie-in opportunities, which is unfortunate for collectors and people with to much money lol

Here are some of my favorite covers:

Aliens V2 #2

Spoiler

https://d2lzb5v10mb0lj.cloudfront.net/covers/600/30/3000780.jpg

Aliens V2 (a different one) #4 : Sigourney Weaver cover

Spoiler

https://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F3%2F5%2F4%2F23354825%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

EDIT!

Instead of a graded comic but still under the CGC umbrella, you could always use their media photo authentication. From 8x10s to publicity photos are witnessed and placed in an inner well. They really do not advertise this at all but it is still available.

Bill Paxton 8x10 CGC photo

Spoiler

https://www.celebrityauthenticsauctions.com/ItemImages/000013/13715a_med.jpeg

Edited by DougC
Added an idea

Thanks very much - sorts most things out.

I saw that Voldy DOES notate Aliens #1 specifically as 1st Hicks and Newt.

Never understood why CGC didn't - so I wondered if I had the wrong book.

I have the Heavy metal with Aliens - definatly the 1st app of the Nostromo crew. Plus Jones too I think.

Big shout out to @F For Fake - Cheers :manhero:  Wheres the beer glasses emoji gone ???

@BeigeFirst appearances in comics of the 1986 Aliens movie characters.  This list disregards Alien movie adaptation, Heavy Metal magazine, Aliens 3 and the retcon of Dark Horse continuity in the early to mid 90’s after the release of Aliens 3.

Aliens 1 (1988); Hicks and Newt also Hudson, Crowe, Frost, Drake and Vasquez in a dream sequence (I wouldn’t consider this a first appearance).  This book pre dates Dark Horse Presents 24 (origin of the Aliens). 

Aliens (1989) 4; Ripley in cameo last page

Aliens Earth War 1; Ripley full appearance and intro into Dark Horse continuity.

Newts Tale 1; Gorman, Vasquez, Hudson, Dietrich, Apone, Frost, Weirzbowski, Drake, Burke

Newts Tale 2; Bishop (Android)

Ferro and Spunkmeyer are never seen (this storyline was told from Newts POV).  All you see is their death in the  Dropship crash after the initial fight in the hive.  

The only 2 books that have these annotations by CGC are the first appearance of Hicks and Newts in Aliens 1 (1988) and Lt. Ripley in cameo on last page in Aliens 4 (1989).  

If you got to the registry and look at my Aliens, Predator, Terminator and AVP (Dark Horse 1988-1992) set “The BIG 3 plus a mash up” you’ll find a fairly detailed compilation of all early key appearances, deaths and events.

I hope this answered your question.

Edited by Parabellum

On 1/12/2023 at 11:02 PM, F For Fake said:

@Beige This is correct, unless they made a comic adaptation of the AvP movie which I do not believe was made.

On 1/13/2023 at 10:13 AM, Parabellum said:

@BeigeFirst appearances in comics of the 1986 Aliens movie characters.  This list disregards Alien movie adaptation, Heavy Metal magazine, Aliens 3 and the retcon of Dark Horse continuity in the early to mid 90’s after the release of Aliens 3.

Aliens 1 (1988); Hicks and Newt also Hudson, Crowe, Frost, Drake and Vasquez in a dream sequence (I wouldn’t consider this a first appearance).  This book pre dates Dark Horse Presents 24 (origin of the Aliens). 

Aliens (1989) 4; Ripley in cameo last page

Aliens Earth War 1; Ripley full appearance and intro into Dark Horse continuity.

Newts Tale 1; Gorman, Vasquez, Hudson, Dietrich, Apone, Frost, Weirzbowski, Drake, Burke

Newts Tale 2; Bishop (Android)

Ferro and Spunkmeyer are never seen (this storyline was told from Newts POV).  All you see is their death in the  Dropship crash after the initial fight in the hive.  

The only 2 books that have these annotations by CGC are the first appearance of Hicks and Newts in Aliens 1 (1988) and Lt. Ripley in cameo on last page in Aliens 4 (1989).  

If you got to the registry and look at my Aliens, Predator, Terminator and AVP (Dark Horse 1988-1992) set “The BIG 3 plus a mash up” you’ll find a fairly detailed compilation of all early key appearances, deaths and events.

I hope this answered your question.

Thankyou so much

This will help more than me I reckon.

And this is why I love these boards - best comic community on the web.  Thanks @Parabellum

On 1/13/2023 at 8:29 AM, Beige said:

Thankyou so much

This will help more than me I reckon.

And this is why I love these boards - best comic community on the web.  Thanks @Parabellum

You’re most welcome.  Keep in mind I am no expert, @F For Fakeis really the “go to man” in regards to Aliens comics.  My focus is on late copper and early modern.